Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Apples new over the ears headphones. The case.. WTF!

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Apple really have lost their way since the death of Jobs. The Mrs just got an I-phone 12 looks like a bigger version of an I-Phone 5.

As for the headphones they look awful.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
You get what you pay for.

Imagine editing your latest video blog in the early hours, only to hear a commotion outside.... (*)

Is someone trying to break into your Crouch End loft style apartment bedsit ? Have the batteries been stripped from your cloud enabled e-scooter ?

For peace of mind at least, the "automatic pause when you lift one ear cup" functionality is a GAME CHANGER.

(*) Only audible when noise cancelling mode set to OFF via the IPhone only app.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am an Apple fan boy, but that is just taking the piss

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Not sure about that, but AKG have ruled the roost for headphones in recent years, some cracking stuff and well under 3 figures.

AKG, Sennheiser, Audio Technica, Bayerdynamic, all extremely good high end cans for less than these fashion statements.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Not strictly true is it. Their market value at the time of Jobs death was around the $350bn mark. Its over $2tn now.

In terms of design and new concepts. They haven't changed the game in my opinion.

But in terms of profit clearly not, but the foundations were already laid down.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I'm surprised [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] hasn't shut down NSC for six months for this announcement.
Disappointingly, he doesn't seem to have noticed.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Maybe not but did the game need changing? Their continued and impressive growth would suggest not.

So you are suggesting the key to the success is just standing still? not sure they would have got to where they are at if they did that.

5/10 years ago I would jump at getting the latest I-pod and I-phone I didn't think I needed an I-Pad then boom there it was. Now I just don't see the same buzz being generated, maybe they have cornered enough of the market and can just keep churning out tiny upgrades every 12 months. But companies like Nokia once held the market and look how quickly that disappeared.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Maybe not but did the game need changing? Their continued and impressive growth would suggest not.

If the game is "just keep churning out overpriced products and the same people will keep buying it" then no, I don't think the game has needed changing.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
So you are suggesting the key to the success is just standing still? not sure they would have got to where they are at if they did that.

5/10 years ago I would jump at getting the latest I-pod and I-phone I didn't think I needed an I-Pad then boom there it was. Now I just don't see the same buzz being generated, maybe they have cornered enough of the market and can just keep churning out tiny upgrades every 12 months. But companies like Nokia once held the market and look how quickly that disappeared.

Funnily enough I saw a Tweet from someone on my timeline implying exactly what you just suggested. The guys tweets are protected so don't think I can share it but it read:

The three stage of Apple products

1. Lol. No. Idiots. Who is paying that? Lol.
2. Hmm.
3. WHY ARE THEY SOLD OUT? Yes! Found one.

That was someone I follow for professional reasons and nothing to do with the tech world

I certainly don't think they've stood still. Their core product range continues to be very good and very desirable which means they can command a pretty penny for it. They've built an eco system around their handhelds which is very difficult to get out of once you are in.

Whether they can disrupt other markets such as the headphone space only time will tell. I'm at stage 1 of the above and certainly won't be paying £550 for a pair of headphones.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Apple have a new market winner. I was just pondering the other day over what was lacking in my life.

https://news.sky.com/story/apple-working-on-3-000-vr-headset-with-two-8k-displays-12209116

vr1.JPG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here