Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Apologise if posted before http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/4280673.Tory_says_Falmer_st

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
What a f***ing Herbert... It beggars belief how some of these twats become MP's... Still, I suppose he claimed his expenses for his journey to Falmer?...

It's an old story. But it rather puts the boot into the Lewes Tory candidate's plan to run a pro-Falmer stadium / anti-Norman Baker campaign at the next general election.

At least we Albion supporters know the simple truth. The place is being built.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
He should do something about the diabolical stretch of tarmac through the middle of his constituency. The A27 at Arundel, before he starts giving his opinion on East Sussex construction. He stirred up a few anti's though looking at the comments, usual Argus tosh.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
The comments are quite funny given the events that have happened since then.

EasyBeaker, Lewes says...
9:06pm Fri 10 Apr 09
There’s no point in anyone here getting worked up or insulting or having an advanced attack of keyboard rage because that’s all a waste of time, energy and karma. Whatever side you are on in this argument you can relax because there’s never going to be a stadium at Falmer. The club has no money, the government has no more money, the city council has given its taxpayers’ land away and won’t give any more, the Blooms are fed up with pushing cash at a no-hope side, the LSC has had its finance pulled from under its feet so the fabled £35 million that so many idiots here imagine was on the table is even more of a myth. Anyone who knows anything about this project knows that the funding plan was laughable without any of those mishaps. So keep calm out there – once the roadworks on Village Way are complete they will only ever serve the university and the muddy field will be quietly returned to its farmer. Conference football will, however, still be available at Withdean.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
This what annoys me about politics, NH is only saying this to undermine labour, I'm sure he doesn't give a shit about how the area actually may or may not be effected by the Stadium.

This what annoys me about politics, NH is only saying this to undermine labour, I'm sure he doesn't give a shit about how the area actually may or may not be effected by the Stadium.

# As he is my MP I shall try to explain.
herbert is MP for the ARUNDEL and South Down consitituency.

That's one made from Arundel and a lot of villages in a narrow strip along the foot of the downs.
Transparent.gif

His main concern is keeping in the blue rinse Arundel high Tory set rather than the villagers. He probably doesn't even know where falmer is.

here is what he said about the proposed National park.......

National Park is the “wrong decision” taken for political reasons
31 March 2009

Commenting on the Government’s announcement that the South Downs will become a National Park, Nick Herbert, MP for Arundel & South Downs said:

“As the MP for the South Downs I feel strongly about this special area and I want the best possible arrangements to ensure that its unique and precious landscape is protected. But this is the wrong decision which has been rushed for political reasons. The Government is making this announcement before they have even determined the final boundaries of the Park.

“It would have been better to have strengthened the South Downs Joint Committee, which is working perfectly well to manage the existing Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty. The revised National Park boundary produces some extraordinary anomalies. While the towns of Lewes and Petersfield are inside, Arundel and Downland villages such as Steyning – both originally included – are now outside. And some areas on the edge of the Park which are currently in the Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty will lose their protected status altogether.

“This will be the most populated National Park in the country. The transfer of authority from elected local councils to a new quango, which will take more planning decisions than in any other National Park, is a step in precisely the wrong direction at a time when local communities should be given more of a say over their own affairs, not less.

“I therefore intend to keep the effectiveness of the new Park under review, in particular the accountability arrangements, to ensure that communities retain local control over decisions affecting their own area. There is no guarantee that planning decisions will be delegated to local authorities, and in any case it is not clear that this would address the ‘democratic deficit’.

“85 per cent of the National Park area is farmed. It is unlike the other ‘wilderness’ areas covered by existing National Parks. That is why the South Downs have been rejected as a National Park on three occasions since Parks were first introduced in 1945.

“National Park status gives the South Downs landscape no greater protection than they have as an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. The single most damaging decision to affect the Downs in the last few years came from the Government, when John Prescott approved the development of a football stadium at Falmer. Ironically it was Prescott who announced the proposed Park to the Labour Party Conference in Brighton ten years ago.

“The Government’s housing target allows for the building of 74,600 houses in West Sussex over the next two decades, increasing the population of the county by a quarter. Much of this development will be on greenfield land. This is by far the biggest threat to the landscape of West Sussex, and National Park status for the already protected South Downs will do nothing to prevent it.”

Ends

South Downs National Park
8 April 2009

Letter to the Guardian - 6 April

Tristram Hunt's argument for designating the South Downs a national park is as stupid as it is divisive.

So without a park the "right of access ... is being lost to a generation". What tosh. Has he heard of the South Downs Way? He says the threat comes from "retail parks". Where? The most damage to the Downs in recent years came from John Prescott's approval of a 22,000-seat football stadium - shortly after he had announced the park to the Labour party conference. I think that powers should be returned to councils, and that communities should be respected. Hunt thinks that councils are for overriding.

Park status gives the South Downs no greater protection than they have as an area of outstanding natural beauty. Labour's plans to build more than 660,000 houses and ecotowns are by far the biggest threat to the countryside of the south-east - handing the already-protected South Downs to a quango will do nothing to prevent this.

Nick Herbert MP

Last edited:

Please people don't vote for the tories.

[

Along with a lot of other people in this nation I will be voting Conservative, It makes no difference what this guy says about the downs its all to late, the stadium is being built and the club have the funding so f*** him.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
That herbert can f*** off,and stop claiming for bags of haribo sweeties to entice his next almost legal crumpet with my dosh.f***ing prick face cod shagging oik.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
don't get angry, educate the man. no sane rational person who has seen the site can hold the view he does, he has been taken in by the anti-falmer propaganda. it is a fact that it was a muddy field adjacent to a daul carrigeway and couple of acres of 70's college buildings. present that to him (and other objectors). present them with a google picture of the site as it was then and contrast to how it is now. if they still dont get it, then ridicule them.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
don't get angry, educate the man. no sane rational person who has seen the site can hold the view he does, he has been taken in by the anti-falmer propaganda. it is a fact that it was a muddy field adjacent to a daul carrigeway and couple of acres of 70's college buildings. present that to him (and other objectors). present them with a google picture of the site as it was then and contrast to how it is now. if they still dont get it, then ridicule them.

No; don't get angry, IGNORE the man. Its being built. He can f*** right off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here