Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Apocalypse Now- - overrated?

Jul 20, 2003
random selection of excellent war films that not a lot of people have seen:

The Hill - Sean Connery moving a lump of sand around
A Midnight Clear - bunch of soldiers out of their depth
The Keep - Ian Maclellan making a pact with some sort of Devil thing to destroy Nazis beofre Scott Glen turns up and blows eveything up with a lava lamp - crazy

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Although I think Apocalypse Now is overrated, the cinematography is AWESOME. I do find it slightly bewildering and maybe even boring at times.

Anyone else heard the rumour that Tarantino's next effort is gonna be a war flick?

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Inglorious Bastards

Theatrical Release Date: Late 2004

Primary Cast: Michael Madsen, Adam Sandler, Bo Svenson.

Tarantino's Input: Writer, director and producer.

Posters: Nothing official (or even unofficial) yet.

Synopsis: During the time of WWII, U.S. soldiers who are about to be executed, are offered a chance at reprieve. Despite some rumors, this film is not a remake of the 1977 Bo Svenson movie also titled Inglorious Bastards (that particular movie was also known as Counterfeit Commandos, Deadly Mission, G.I. Bro, and Hell's Heroes).

Adam Sandler? What?

Last edited:

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
somerset said:
Wasn't Thin red Line about WWII?

Sure was. It was set on Guadalcanal, which is in the Solomon Islands.

I think Apocalypse Now is a great film almost, but not quite, spoiled by Brando's clunking performance. Robert Duval's Col. Kilgore has to be the greatest war movie character ever created. And if you haven't seen the "Ride of the Valkyries bit" on the big screen, then you've missed out.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
D'Angelo Saxon said:
Although I think Apocalypse Now is overrated, the cinematography is AWESOME. I do find it slightly bewildering and maybe even boring at times.

Anyone else heard the rumour that Tarantino's next effort is gonna be a war flick?

Yes, and there is a possiblility (rumour) that he will probably do a Western.... and the rumour os a remake of The Wild bunch.....

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
been reading this thread with interest

for me it proves that cinema, even more than music, is the most subjective art form there is. one man's classic is another man's waterworld.

for the record i like all the nam films mentioned. i think you have to make a seriously shit film for a film about a historical war to be REALLY bad.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
chez said:
I loved Apocalypse now & The Deer Hunter but I thought Platoon was shit. Each to their own.

Precisely my thoughts :clap2: :clap2:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I thought it was great.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
alan partridge said:
for the record i like all the nam films mentioned. i think you have to make a seriously shit film for a film about a historical war to be REALLY bad.

Troy anyone?!!

Although I shouldn't diss it, as a family member starred as Brad Pitt's mother in it ;)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here