Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

anyone see Pearl harbor last night

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The first 1.5 hours is merely an endurance test for the eye candy of the 2nd 1.5 hours, with three totally vacuous characters who nobody could possibly give a toss about. But once the Japs arrive, it really is quite a spectacle. The attack on Pearl Harbour itself is a brilliantly choreographed sequence - the cgi is seemlessly weaved into the action, and the Surround Sound on that bit absolutely ROCKS.

Its one of those big-budget Hollywood films that seems to get an automatic slagging-off from everyone (like Waterworld). Get past the schmaltz, and leave the history books on the shelf, and you'll find that as a piece of entertainment its actually pretty good.

interjambo

Mar 22, 2004
Milano, Italia
Can't take Spud from Trainspotting seriously as a USAF pilot.

Watched a shocking film myself last night, Johnny English. Utter garbage

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
black & white seagull said:
I only watched the first half, but I was overjoyed to hear one of the worst lines in Hollywood, ever:

'Just get me to a goddam plane!'

Dire, truly dire.
Dreadful lines from Hollywood could spawn its own thread. How about Nicholas Cage in Con Air:

Cusack: "What are you gonna do now ?"
Cage: "Whaddya think I'm gonna do ? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day"

GLORIOUS :lolol:

Minghawk

Jul 5, 2003
The P51's didn't have radial engines -
all were piston engined.

Originally fitted with Allison's the P51D's then had
The Packard Rolls Royce Merlin engines.

Hence. they bloody well should sound like a Spitfire.

And for any Yank out there who wants to tell us that the P51 was a superior fighter to any British aircraft - the P51 was designed in Britain, and had a licensed Rolls Royce power plant.

Where did I leave my anorak?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I would have it in a worthy film category because of the awesome battle scenes. The 40 minute attack on PearkHarbor is the 2nd greatest battle scene commited to celluloid only bettered by Saving Private Ryan.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I watched "Love At First Bite" (fell asleep halfway through), it was good though, nice and cheesy with a few funny lines thrown in :jester:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Not a computer generated fictional battle scene. Just Spielberg with a hand held on a beach somewhere.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The best battle scene I ever saw ( apart from the first 20 mins of saving Private Ryan) was Waterloo.

The bit with the French Lancer chasing the English Hussar over the mud, the horse stumbling and the Lancer stabbing the Hussar in the back was a truly memorable piece of action ( I saw it 30 years + ago and it still haunts me now)

Also, the bit at the end where the last remaining 200 odd French soldiers stood together. Wellington rode across and offered them a chance to surrender, they said "Non" and expecting the cavalry to charge into them, Wellington rolled a load of canons up to them and blew them, all to pieces...." waste of good men" was his answer to the question, " why did you not send in the cavalry?"

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The Battle scene in Star Wars: 'Episode 4 - A New Hope' when the rebels are attacking the Death Star is the best battle scene ever, actually.

Gareth Glover said:
I would have it in a worthy film category because of the awesome battle scenes. The 40 minute attack on PearkHarbor is the 2nd greatest battle scene commited to celluloid only bettered by Saving Private Ryan.

Pants mate.

The water was as realistic as bath water. The slow motion bombing was poor. It did not look realistic.

It was not scary at all. I would say Band of Brothers was far superior, Agincourt and even Brave Heart.

I thouht the actual camera man caught up in the action was stunning, shame he bought it. but they couldn't decide whether to go b/w or colour.

LC

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
At least it represents what people actually went through,unlike shit like independance day.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
an average film that was was about 1hr too long, for absolutly no reason. what they should have done was shot all the lovey dovey crap on one reel, all the action on another, then played them on adjacent cinema screens. One for the girls, one for the boys, sorted.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here