Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

anyone right up on computer problems?

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
i had to format my computer yesterday and have been putting programs back on.

i keep getting error 1335 trying to instal office xp.
i've tried all the methods explained from the help site but all with no avail.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q314810

however, i managed to install office 2000 ok?
i've installed other programs successfully but had the same problem when installing acdsee 6.0?

i've run spyware progams and virus checkers to make sure nothing has got in.

i'm now totally at my wits end!!!
please someone with some knowledge please help

:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

It sounds as if you have a corrupt or scratched CD. If you can see a bad scratch, it might be worth buying the Scratch Remover (Dr Disk or some such name - I think GAME and VIRGIN sell them but they are about £25.

If the installation fails on the same file (probably a .cab file), it might be worth poking around the net to see if you can find it. If it is a .dll file, you may well find it.

Failing that, contact whoever your CD come from to see if they will replace it. Or find a mate who will lend you their CD and just use your CD Key. Or download Open Office which is similar but free! ;)

Try copying the setup files from the CD to you Hard Drive and set up from there.

If you have CD issues the simple copy will show these up.

I doubt that both sets of media OfficeXP and Acdsee are faulty I would think it's more likely a drive problem.

If for some reason your media is found to be faulty you can ring Microsoft on 0870 5010100 as a replacement disk can be sent to you.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
thanks for the help but it's more in-depth than that i think.
i had a copy of it on my h/drive for sharing which i know is good.
when installing from the h/drive i get the same error.
the disk will work on my other computer but not on here.
there was no problem before with it so i can't see why there is now.
i was wondering maybe if it was because i installed all microsoft critical updates before i tried to put all the software back on?
i don't wanna have to reformat again just cause of this but its buggint the crap outta me now.

:angry: :dunce: :shootself :shootself :dunce: :angry:

Last edited:

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
I think you will find it is a user related sign on mate :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :salute: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
bha.fatboy said:
I think you will find it is a user related sign on mate :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :salute: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

after that little comment, lets hope nothing happens to yours!!

:flameboun uploading virus now :flameboun

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Did your brothers version not work either?

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Take the back off,get a hoover and suck it out mate,Should work fine then.Good luck.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
bha.fatboy said:
Did your brothers version not work either?

nope, chez's didn't work either.
you not got any techy m8s at TSB who might have an idea?

:censored: :shootself :censored:

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
No mate!!!! they all work for IBM which means they have not got a clue about computers :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: Sounds like Tom Hark works for IBM as well :lolol: :lolol:

Will try and find out mate but not holding much hope. Has Ike not got any ideas. What was the message saying when it fell over. something about not finding a file or something?

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
error in cab file.
same as acdsee

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Will see what I can find out. Nothing wrong with office 2k though mate. Especially for what you need it for.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
thats what i'm having to run in the meanwhile.
its just annoying i cant fathom it out

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
No joy mate. Only suggestion I got was that you could try cleaning your Disk drive. It has got everyone stumped at work as well now. Asked the IBM tech and he said turn it off, leave it 30 seconds and turn it back on again. :tosser:

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
bha.fatboy said:
No joy mate. Only suggestion I got was that you could try cleaning your Disk drive. It has got everyone stumped at work as well now. Asked the IBM tech and he said turn it off, leave it 30 seconds and turn it back on again. :tosser:

timco, i've got the full version.

i posted the same question on microsofts technet bulletin board a few days ago and had no response. useless gitts.

as for the ibm tech fatboy, i think we'd all qualify for jobs there if thats all he has to offer! :dunce:

zego

Jul 10, 2003
There are several CD/DVD disk check progs about.

Google found this quickly:

Click here

Quote:

Emsa Disk Check is a dual-purpose utility, for disk checking (prescan and full disk reading) and also benchmarking. What it does, is scanning/reading the entire contents of a disk (CD, DVD or hard drive; or even floppy) and show any read errors that may appear, but also show drive speed information, progress statistics etc. It was designed with simplicity in mind, but usefulness for the user.

You can use it to do a full check of the surface of any disks, for example if you have just scratched a disk and want to see if it is still readable, or if you want to check all your cd library for time or usage related faults. You can also use it for drive benchmarking, easily comparing speeds through 'X' speed multiplier factor, in real conditions. You can also scan hard drives or even floppies - and get real condition performance information accordingly with drive performance but also with the way data is stored on it, which obviously impacts on overall performance. Make sure you clean the CD or DVD before doing tests, to remove dirt and ensure tests are accurate. Freeware.

EndQuote

Might at least help to see if this is a disk/file/drive problem, before tackling software/installation/upgrade conflicts.

Last edited:

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Silly question is it an original copy? Or is it a bootleg / pirate copy. If so might be the fact that in doing all the updates it as detected that it is a copy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here