Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone replaced their kindle?

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
It looks as though my kindle is dying...It's only over a year old but the screen is half in shade and half not....anyway, if you buy a new one, do I take it that the books I have purchased will be auto populated into the new kindle when I register it with the same amazon account details?

Ta

So what happens to the broken kindle now? how long does it take to biodegrade?

If you'd purchased an old fashioned paper book it would still be fit for purpose and if you didn't want it anymore you could throw on your compost heap and turn it into something useful.

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
Think you need to talk to a good disaster recovery company Dave, they should be able to help you with advice on backup and recovery !!!!

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Got a Kindle Fire HD for my birthday last week and really like it, apart from having the adverts come up on the lock screen whenever you take it out of sleep. Contacted Amazon and they removed them for me free of charge which was nice of them. Just wish I could change the wallpapers used for the lockscreens now myself (without having to root it).

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
My wife replaced her kindle with a kindle paperwhite and finds it a big leap forward from the original she's had for a few years. I am pretty impressed with the updates. It shows the cover of the books now and when you open it, it goes straight to the page you are at. Controls are much more intuitive than the original too and are touch screen. Recommended, I half wish mine would pack up so I could replace it with a paperwhite.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
I miss my Kindle :-( I left it on the Eurostar. It was the original basic bog-standard model, with a button to turn the pages (best).

The touch screen model just means you get fingerprints all over it.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Just phoned them and they have agreed to replace without charge even as it's out of warranty...bloody hell that is brilliant customer services. And she sounded very nice indeed!

Thanks bozza would never have thought to ring em

:rock:

Out of interest how old was it?

Mine genuinely broke through no fault of myself and they replaced it no questions asked and was at about the previously mentioned 15 month breaking point. My brother in law has had two replacements once after he had dropped it in the bath again his were < 2 years old. My dad on the other hand his packed up in May this year and was one of the first gen ones so had had a good life. He tried and the best they could do is offer him £30 off a new one. Still better than nowt though and he did take them up on their offer and bought a new one.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Think you need to talk to a good disaster recovery company Dave, they should be able to help you with advice on backup and recovery !!!!

I'll raise a change ticket mate

Btw. I am global change governance now :-(

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Out of interest how old was it?

Mine genuinely broke through no fault of myself and they replaced it no questions asked and was at about the previously mentioned 15 month breaking point. My brother in law has had two replacements once after he had dropped it in the bath again his were < 2 years old. My dad on the other hand his packed up in May this year and was one of the first gen ones so had had a good life. He tried and the best they could do is offer him £30 off a new one. Still better than nowt though and he did take them up on their offer and bought a new one.

It was bought last September for my birthday in October, so just over the warranty!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My wife has just bought a new tablet and transferred everything from her Kindle to the kindel app on her tablet to install and read the books and now as a result her kindle has become obsolete except as back up, if needed.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
My wife has just bought a new tablet and transferred everything from her Kindle to the kindel app on her tablet to install and read the books and now as a result her kindle has become obsolete except as back up, if needed.

Tablets are back lit though aren't they. I have my books on an ipad but I only use it if I have forgotten my kindle. Much better screen on a kindle imo.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I would check the cloud. Not my stuff is on it - although most of it was downloaded for free from http://www.gutenberg.org/ which might explain it

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Tablets are back lit though aren't they. I have my books on an ipad but I only use it if I have forgotten my kindle. Much better screen on a kindle imo.

I phoned sister in law with this as she has ditched her kindle for her Samsung Galaxy Note and says she doest notice any difference. Wife is going to keep her Kindle until she is sure one way or the other.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I maybe imagining it but it seems less people are using kindles than a couple of years ago.
Cant beat the smell of print.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I maybe imagining it but it seems less people are using kindles than a couple of years ago.
Cant beat the smell of print.

I inherited a Kindle from one of the kids when we bought them tablets. It died about three months later.

It was quite exciting for a while but there's nothing like a book. Or a book shop. I hope the old technology will be with us for a while yet ... we can't spend all day looking at screens, though I often feel I do.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I inherited a Kindle from one of the kids when we bought them tablets. It died about three months later.

It was quite exciting for a while but there's nothing like a book. Or a book shop. I hope the old technology will be with us for a while yet ... we can't spend all day looking at screens, though I often feel I do.

My mum bought hers a year ago and gave up with it after a couple of months. I am pretty anti screens too but they are almost unavoidable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here