Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone own any stocks and shares then?

Tom Hark said:
Caiirn Energy is the shares to buy. They're about twenty quid apiece (were a fiver two years ago) and they've got literally a billion barrels of oil they found underground in India that comes onstream in I think in 2008. By which time the price will be through the roof. Innit.

Maybe - but that doesn't explain why directors a few weeks ago sold some of their stock. The shares have that Indian optimism already priced in. Could go either way to be honest, which, unfortunately, you can say about most shares :D Good luck, tempting profit for some to cash in but you may well be right to show a bit of nerve :)

Last edited:

chip said:
I have a quite a few different shares and unit trusts. A few years back I got a 20 times return on shares in ARM - nice. I'm waiting to see if animal rights activists are going to "out me" for GSK shares.
I'm sending them to Southampton University now :wave:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Beach Hut said:

yea use that lot if you wanna chuck money down the drain.

If you don't wanna pay tax or brokers fees and are not concerned about getting a certificate or voting rights at an AGM:jester: then go the sensible route and speculate using spread betting sites, much less hassle, much more fun.:wave:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
London Irish said:
Maybe - but that doesn't explain why directors a few weeks ago sold some of their stock. The shares have that Indian optimism already priced in. Could go either way to be honest, which, unfortunately, you can say about most shares :D Good luck, tempting profit for some to cash in but you may well be right to show a bit of nerve :)

Think it has to be a winnah to be honest, because whatever the money juggling it still comes down to a billion barrels of the black stuff confirmed underground in a relatively stable part of the world. The big banks are touting Cairn Energy as being worth up to 28 quid (figure keeps being revised upwards, it was 23 earlier this year if memory serves) so buying them at 20 quid or thereabouts at today's price should see you make, what, a fiver a share before Xmas? Better rate of return by far than any building society in the land by a country mile. & the directors are probably being made to sell some of their stock as a pre-condition to them part-floating (er, I think) the Indian operation sometime soon. Which will no doubt mean some kind of goodie bag for investors. IMHO, like. Really can't see them going any way other than up.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Yes. Vodafone through a stupid decision to get eircom shares (although I paid about 1/5 of their peak value, some people got seriously stung) and eircom then selling their mobile division to Vodafone.

I got them at (I think) 222.0 on the Eircell2000/Vodafone exchange date. They're currently at 114.

To make up the lost value from the eircom shares when it went private (only to refloat...) I need them to be 289, before broker fees. I think I'll be waiting a LOOOOONG time :glare:

yorkshire seagull

May 18, 2004
Leeds
Yep - I work for TD Waterhouse (one of the UK's largest execution only stockbrokers), and have quite a few shares myself.

If you're thinking of investing, why not check us out - www.tdwaterhouse.co.uk

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
graz126 said:
no. but i was thinking of investing in desire oil company in the falklands. as the price of oil rises through the roof. there is definatley oil down there but the problem is getting it out and shipping it out from there. once they eventually get rigs set up then there will be a lot of profit in the market value.
the only thing that stopped me from trying to gain any, i cannot afford the 30 odd pounds that each share costs. the above is good local knowledge that i got whilst down there.

Is the oil onshore or offshore .. Think its a well known fact oil is there hence the War in the early 80,s but ket to it is how accessable it is .. as cost of oil rises the more ecomomically viable it is to drill for it there .. if it is onland shipping by tanker wont be a problem as i believe there is enough deep water to build a terminal .

Biscuit. I am guessing you don't want to bet huge size, and you don't want to lose your money. In which case I would suggest you don't buy shares at all, or sign up for any spread betting companies (I have done both and seen some huge P/L swings, not for the faint hearted). Instead do some research in to products like equity bonds. Your money is invested in the FTSE-100 index, if it goes up you get the benefit up to a certain level (about 112% for example) but if the market falls, you are guaranteed your full money back at the end of the term.
A riskier alternative is to go to a site like www.fundsnetwork.co.uk and invest your money in a managed ISA fund. A fund manager will spread your investment over a range of stocks to spread your risk, and because it is in an ISA any returns are tax free.
If you are making only one investment, I strongly suggest you don't put all of your money on one stock.

1066gull

Beach Hut said:
Not good but been here before.

Trousered £580 profit a few weeks back which was good as the ones I had have dropped like a stone.
Ocean Finance will be on your door to help.

:)

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Lokki 7 said:
Biscuit. I am guessing you don't want to bet huge size, and you don't want to lose your money. In which case I would suggest you don't buy shares at all, or sign up for any spread betting companies (I have done both and seen some huge P/L swings, not for the faint hearted). Instead do some research in to products like equity bonds. Your money is invested in the FTSE-100 index, if it goes up you get the benefit up to a certain level (about 112% for example) but if the market falls, you are guaranteed your full money back at the end of the term.
A riskier alternative is to go to a site like www.fundsnetwork.co.uk and invest your money in a managed ISA fund. A fund manager will spread your investment over a range of stocks to spread your risk, and because it is in an ISA any returns are tax free.
If you are making only one investment, I strongly suggest you don't put all of your money on one stock.

Jim you are soooooooooo conservative :lolol:

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I had a load of stock options in my old company which I bought at $5 a share, the comapny was taken over at $18 a share so I was forced to sell the lot, paid for a brand spanking new car at the time, decided that I'd mad emy profit in stocks and have kept well clear since.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
Part of sharesave scheme at work which works really well,i'm useless at saving money.
Problem is the company is in the middle of a takeover so share price has rocketed, so I make on the shares but may be out of a job :glare:

Tom Hark said:
Think it has to be a winnah to be honest, because whatever the money juggling it still comes down to a billion barrels of the black stuff confirmed underground in a relatively stable part of the world. The big banks are touting Cairn Energy as being worth up to 28 quid (figure keeps being revised upwards, it was 23 earlier this year if memory serves) so buying them at 20 quid or thereabouts at today's price should see you make, what, a fiver a share before Xmas? Better rate of return by far than any building society in the land by a country mile. & the directors are probably being made to sell some of their stock as a pre-condition to them part-floating (er, I think) the Indian operation sometime soon. Which will no doubt mean some kind of goodie bag for investors. IMHO, like. Really can't see them going any way other than up.

Hats off to you sir, you've clearly done your homework :clap:

Interestingly, it seems that we currently going through a good buying opportunity, as this following article indicates.

Bargain-hunting directors have been buying shares in their own companies since the turbulence in financial markets began earlier this month.

Directors, including Paul Myners of Marks and Spencer, have spent a total of £48m on their own stock since the weakness in stock markets began mid-month, representing almost twice the monthly average trading in just two weeks.

The fact that directors of some of UK’s largest companies view recent falls in share prices as an opportunity to pick up more stock suggests they believe the weakness is unjustified.

Though the FTSE 100 rallied yesterday, the index is down more than 6 per cent over the last two weeks. “Since the FTSE 100 declined below 6,000 on May 12, the level of director buying activity has doubled,” said Michael Tindale, managing director of Directors Deals, which monitors directors’ such trading activity.

Directors have bought £70m worth of their own stock this month, three-quarters of which has been in the last fortnight. Between January and April the average was £25m a month. The ratio of buying to selling has also jumped to more than two purchases for every sale, with 226 directors acquiring shares in the last two weeks compared with 100 disposing of shares.

The ratio had been roughly one-to-one for most of the year. “Clearly, the directors see the drop in share prices as a buying opportunity and the declines as short-lived,” Mr Tindale said.

Khuram Chaudhry, a quantitive research strategist at Merrill Lynch, said directors’ share purchases had traditionally proved a reliable signal to buy.

He pointed out that the periods ahead of each of the significant stock market rallies over the last 10 years had seen a spike in directors buying shares.

In February 2003, a month before the market began its three-year bull run, the ratio of director buying reached almost 11-to-1. “When directors start buying shares, it is the ultimate signal,” he said. “It tells you that insiders have confidence.”

Mr Myners, M&S chairman, who bought 50,000 shares at 552p on Tuesday, has a good record investing in shares.

He and Stuart Rose, his chief executive, spent more than £400,000 in M&S stock in September when the shares were worth about 350p a share.

M&S shares peaked at 632p earlier this month. Other leading board figures buying shares in their own companies this week included Mark Tucker, chief executive of Prudential, who bought £148,807 worth of shares in the life assurer, and Sir Robert Wilson, chairman of BG Group, the oil and gas exploration group, who purchases £65,591 worth of shares in his company.
Philip Yea, the 3i chief executive, bought £137,119 worth of shares in the FTSE-100 quoted private equity group.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here