Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone on here never owned a mobile phone?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Got a feeling this could be a very short thread, but I never have and don't believe I ever will own one. There's nothing like being free of a phone when you leave the office/house, knowing you can't be contacted, but that you can have the joys of checking your messages when you get back. Yes I know I could get stuck in a traffic jam and be unable to let anyone know that I'm gonna be late, or have my leg blown off in a shoot-out and be unable to run to the nearest payphone, but civilisation has done okay up to now (except for the occasional incident where someone has bled to death after having their leg blown off in a shoot-out and the nearest pay phone was just out of hopping distance) without them.

The amount of time people at work spend salivating over the newest model that'll be yesterday's news in a few weeks is mind-numbing.....

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
I only got one about a year ago. I could certainly live without it and it makes me laugh to see people so dependent on them and wetting themselves everytime a new, ever so slightly smaller model comes out.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I swore I would never have one, now I do. I'm planning on losing it at some point.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Me. And never will.

sullyupthewing

Jul 5, 2003
brighton and worthing
Got rid of mine best thing I ever did.
All I have to put up with now is boring farts showing me there latest mobile phone that does this that and other totally useless functions that they will never use.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Never had one myself, but my partner has one.
Part of the reason is going along with what Cheekey Monkey said. When I'm out I don't want to be contacted. On a number of occasions I've been in the pub with some friends chatting away and then all of a sudden, out comes a mobile and a 30min texting session happens - no coversation, nothing. It's so bloody anti-social.

The other thing that drives me mad is that most of the people in my office think they are some sort of fashion statement and spend hours showing them off or texting someone they sit next to. What's that all about. Get a life I say.

Before mobiles did people never go out in case the phone went ?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
My mother is the nearest thing to not having one in my family - got one, never uses it.

I make about 20 minutes of calls a day on mine, and sometims push about 500K of GPRS across it if I've got to do some server work on the move. Couldn't live without it. Couldn't live without GPRS either - when my handset went for repair whilst my fallback was in, I reverted to my fallback fallback and HSCSD (31Kb/sec) was unusable

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
MYOB said:
My mother is the nearest thing to not having one in my family - got one, never uses it.

I make about 20 minutes of calls a day on mine, and sometims push about 500K of GPRS across it if I've got to do some server work on the move. Couldn't live without it. Couldn't live without GPRS either - when my handset went for repair whilst my fallback was in, I reverted to my fallback fallback and HSCSD (31Kb/sec) was unusable
eh?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Rangdo said:

GPRS = fast net on non-3G phones. Its f***ing EXPENSIVE but can reach broadband speed.

HSCSD = proper dialup speed net on non-3G phones. Its not expensive, but its not broadband speed.

If I'm out and I need to do something in work, I use my phone as a modem with my laptop. So GPRS is useful...

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
MYOB, you might as well have been talking Urdu for all I could understand in your post.

In all seriousness, I have only had a mobile phone since moving back to the UK about 15 months ago, prior to that I had absolutely no need for one (probably don't now), only got one because I was living in digs and it was impossible for me to have a land line at the time.

Agree with southstandandy about the friends texting/chatting etc, how bad mannered can you get, if I am spending time with someone then I devote myself to them, I don't go phoning and chatting with others at the same time, it ain't asking much.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I've never owned one.

Fortunately the one I use belongs to my company.

It's getting a bit out of date but costs me nothing! :)

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Buzza said:
I've never owned one.

Fortunately the one I use belongs to my company.

It's getting a bit out of date but costs me nothing! :)

I have a company phone as well but recently got a new handset.

I'd recommend these freephone phones :lolol: :lolol:

I've never had one. I suppose I've never seen the need. On the odd occasion, I've borrowed my partner's, but only because mobile phone users are useless twats who are not capable of normal social relationships with people without phones. In the olden days, people would arrange to meet up in advance - and they would actually turn up, on time. Mobile phone users seem incapable of such simple behaviour.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
fatbadger said:
I've never had one. I suppose I've never seen the need. On the odd occasion, I've borrowed my partner's, but only because mobile phone users are useless twats who are not capable of normal social relationships with people without phones. In the olden days, people would arrange to meet up in advance - and they would actually turn up, on time. Mobile phone users seem incapable of such simple behaviour.

Ned & I have both made sure our mother's in their 70's have got one each.

My Mother is severly disabled and if she fell she probably couldn't get to her landline in the hall. She has an old mobile that I passed onto her so she could ring me (or an ambulance) on that.

Ned's Mum was visiting from Yorkshire last November. She was in Brighton shopping when we had a call from Rotherham to say Gran was rushed into hospital.
We could ring Mum and get her back here straightaway to pack and get back up the M1.

Not all phones are used 'socially'

Yorkie said:
Ned & I have both made sure our mother's in their 70's have got one each.

My Mother is severly disabled and if she fell she probably couldn't get to her landline in the hall. She has an old mobile that I passed onto her so she could ring me (or an ambulance) on that.

Ned's Mum was visiting from Yorkshire last November. She was in Brighton shopping when we had a call from Rotherham to say Gran was rushed into hospital.
We could ring Mum and get her back here straightaway to pack and get back up the M1.

Not all phones are used 'socially'

Granted. Clearly, there are uses for mobile phones. It's just that I don't have a use for them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here