Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone on here divorced? Hang on to your nuts...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Ex-wives win key divorce rulings

The Law Lords have ruled two ex-wives are entitled to their former husbands' millions in landmark rulings. Melissa Miller can keep the £5m she was awarded out of her ex-husband Alan's £17.5m fortune, said the lords.

Julia McFarlane is entitled to £250,000 a year from her ex-husband Kenneth for life - not just the five years decided by the Court of Appeal. The House of Lords' decisions could have far-reaching implications for future big money divorce settlements.

Mrs McFarlane had argued she gave up a high-earning career when she married 18 years earlier. After the ruling, she said: "Obviously I am very happy."

Her lawyer James Pirrie described the judgement as "groundbreaking". "Until today, maintenance for stay-at-home mothers was going to be based purely on living expenses. Now judges must consider as well contribution and compensation. For people like Julia this is only fair. The judgement recognises her sacrifice and that marriage is a partnership," Mr Pirrie said.

He said it had been a joint decision with her husband that she give up her career to raise their children, which enabled him to increase his earning power.

"Isn't it fair that she should receive a fair share of that?," he said.

He said the ruling was at odds with divorce law in the rest of the world, but the Law Lords' ruling showed that the world was now out of step. Mr McFarlane said: "Whilst I am glad that the judgement of the House of Lords today brings these matters to a close, I preferred the Court of Appeal's recognition that the achievement of financial independence at the earliest opportunity was a vital part of a fair outcome. I now look forward to enjoying life, once again, away from the media spotlight, with my lovely wife and family."

His lawyer, Jeremy Levison, said there was "some optimism" in the "extremely complicated judgements" as they did not necessarily mean that Mrs McFarlane would continue to receive payments for life. The court says that as and when the children are a bit older and her child-looking-after obligations diminish, they rather expect her to return to work to help herself."

In the Miller case, Mr Miller challenged an earlier court order that he pay his ex-wife the £5m after their brief marriage failed. The Millers, who lived in Chelsea, London, were married for two years and nine months and had no children when they split.

A judge had decided Mrs Miller was entitled to a substantial settlement because she married with "reasonable expectation" of a future wealthy lifestyle.

The judge had also cited Mr Miller's adultery as a factor in the award. After Wednesday's ruling, Marcus Dearle, one of the team representing Mrs Miller, said: "What actually happened, at the end of the day, was that the judge focused on the high standard of living that Mrs Miller and Mr Miller enjoyed, and also the fact that a lot of money was earned in that very short... marriage."

Family lawyer Alan Kaufman said one key issue arising from the rulings was that conduct would not be considered in dividing assets, unless it was extreme conduct. However, Mr Kaufman said: "These cases are very limited to the big money cases, except the issue of conduct applies to all divorces.

"Lawyers are going to be very happy with what the House of Lords have said because nobody wanted to go into any divorce situation, going back over the past with recriminations and who was to blame for the breakdown. We don't like doing it and thankfully in most cases we won't be doing it in the future."

The ruling is being seen as the Lords' most significant rulings on divorce in five years. Observers have speculated on the importance of the rulings to any divorce hearing between former Beatle Sir Paul McCartney, said to be worth an estimated £800m, and his wife Heather Mills.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
cue poster suggesting they are all SLUT FACED WHORES:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Does this make any sense?

The judge had also cited Mr Miller's adultery as a factor in the award.

and

Family lawyer Alan Kaufman said one key issue arising from the rulings was that conduct would not be considered in dividing assets"

Did Mr Kaufman actually pay attention to the case?

Sounds fair enough to me: a bloke can scarcely moan that he's been left 'only' £12m

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
Dies Irae said:
cue poster suggesting they are all SLUT FACED WHORES:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:
It was my being a slut faced whore that got me divorced in the first place....:lolol:

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
If you're RICH, get the BITCH to sign a WATERTIGHT pre-nuptial agreement.

Sorted.

I should be a lawyer :glare:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Downloaded Penguin said:

Sorted.

Unless the law's changed recently (and I've missed it), pre-nups are not valid in English courts.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Downloaded Penguin said:

Sorted.

Not sure if pre-nuptial agreements actually mean anything over here, it's an American thing isnt it?

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Race said:
Not sure if pre-nuptial agreements actually mean anything over here, it's an American thing isnt it?

I think they do, Mc Cartney said he didnt want Mills to sign a pre nuptial agreement even though she offered. He said he wasnt a financial decision, bet hes regretting that now!:lolol:

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
sir danny cullip said:
I think they do, Mc Cartney said he didnt want Mills to sign a pre nuptial agreement even though she offered. He said he wasnt a financial decision, bet hes regretting that now!:lolol:

It's a bit hard to feel sorry for someone with £800 million laying around spare though isnt it! What ever she ends up with I doubt he will even notice!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
sir danny cullip said:

I don't see how that proves anything.

And besides they didn't marry in England - it's where the wedding takes place that counts.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Well I hope the lawyers involved in this case get divorced and their wives screw them for every penny. That'll learn the parasitic money grabbing bastards.

*I love lawyers I do*

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
sir danny cullip said:

Why? He's worth as estimated £800m She gets £200m.

That leaves £600m.

Not exactely going to make a huge lifestyle change is it.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
If I were in the position where I was being sued for future earnings I'd just jack the whole thing in, piss off to a beach somewhere and earn precisely f*** all for the rest of my life.

These women ought to think about getting a f***ing job and earning their own money, see how hard it is to "give them a lifestyle to which they've become acustomed" before they start "expecting" their ex to cough for them for the rest of their self centred lives.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Mrs Parlour anyone ? What a grasping BITCH poor old Ray had to contend with there. Got the house (completely paid off), got half his money AND wanted a cut off all his future earnings.

I'd have signed for Aldershot just to SPITE her.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Easy 10 said:
Mrs Parlour anyone ? What a grasping BITCH poor old Ray had to contend with there. Got the house (completely paid off), got half his money AND wanted a cut off all his future earnings.

I'd have signed for Aldershot just to SPITE her.
He went straight to Middlesbrough after the settlement. That screwed her over a bit.

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Superphil said:
If I were in the position where I was being sued for future earnings I'd just jack the whole thing in, piss off to a beach somewhere and earn precisely f*** all for the rest of my life.

These women ought to think about getting a f***ing job and earning their own money, see how hard it is to "give them a lifestyle to which they've become acustomed" before they start "expecting" their ex to cough for them for the rest of their self centred lives.

I know you're waiting for someone to say it, and you're enjoying what a windup this may be, but thats a complete and utter pile of TOSH and a generalisation if ever I saw one....

Firstly - even if you earned precisely f*** all, then you'd have to pay a percentage of f*** all, so you'd have lLESS than f*** all and would end up in prison!!

Getting a job and earning money?? I was dragged around the world, propping my ex up when it got hard and tiring, being his arm candy and being home for him with dinner and his Petrus when he needed, cigar at the ready... I eventually got jobs here there and everywhere but nothing like the potential I had. Decorating flats, moving our belongings and generally running a household in places miles from my home and family. So what do I get for that?? A big fat ZILCH?? I think not kemosabe!! and I didn't!! :cool:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here