Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone missing Andy Grey yet?

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
His was a commentating heavyweight and I am afraid Skys fill-ins are mere lightweights. Jermaine Defoe scored two absolute beauties yesterday and the only thing missing to make them truly magnificent was Grays trademark 'take a bow son' line.

:nono:

With all due respect Crodo, you are talking out of your ARSE.

'Take a bow' son was just another one of Gray's inane catchphrases, which he over-used to the nth degree. Gray was a dinosaur who found it impossible to stay in touch with his listeners and you could almost feel the overpowering arrogance of the man coming out of the TV. He is a bellend of the highest order.

His 'show' on TalkSport with Keys is just as bad, 3 hours of cliched outpourings from two 'blokes' who wouldn't know life outside the Premier League if it came up and kicked them in the bollocks. They had Gus on the other day, not because he is the manager of one of the most successful teams of the season, but because he used to play for Chelsea. Utter wank.

Andy Gray is a f***ing twat.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
With all due respect Crodo, you are talking out of your ARSE.

'Take a bow' son was just another one of Gray's inane catchphrases, which he over-used to the nth degree. Gray was a dinosaur who found it impossible to stay in touch with his listeners and you could almost feel the overpowering arrogance of the man coming out of the TV. He is a bellend of the highest order.

His 'show' on TalkSport with Keys is just as bad, 3 hours of cliched outpourings from two 'blokes' who wouldn't know life outside the Premier League if it came up and kicked them in the bollocks. They had Gus on the other day, not because he is the manager of one of the most successful teams of the season, but because he used to play for Chelsea. Utter wank.

Andy Gray is a f***ing twat.

:yawn: More egotistical ramblings from one of the many anti-Premier League and all who make it work brigade.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
:yawn: More egotistical ramblings from one of the many anti-Premier League and all who make it work brigade.

On the contrary, I absolutely LOVE The Premier League. I think it's the best league in the World and not a patch on La Liga, where the top teams only have half a dozen difficult games a season.

I just don't like Andy Gray.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Why such a strong opinion on Andy Gray then? I don't often read a post from you telling someone to "f*** off".

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Why such a strong opinion on Andy Gray then? I don't often read a post from you telling someone to "f*** off".

I just said I think he is a f***ing twat, I don't think I told him to f*** off.

Like most people's opinions of 'people off the telly' my dislike of him isn't based on anything rational. I've never met the bloke and am not likely to but from what I've heard of him, I just don't like his style. He comes across as extremely patronising, likes to criticise for no other reason that 'he just HAS to score from there', and just seems to be a complete twat.

It's completely irrational I know, I just don't like him.

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
Grrr why is he speaking like this?! It's driving me mad! There is no need for him to pause so much in every sentence. How did he managed to pick up that accent so quickly yet doesn't seem to be losing it in a hurry?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Kevin Phillips was pretty good as a pundit tonight?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
He was the best pundit on TV, but he'll be back.

In the meantime, I'm more worried about the dreadful presenters. Not one of them has the charisma or presence of Richard Keys.

"Richard Keys" and "charisma"? They're three words that are never normally seen in the same sentence.

Unless the sentence is "Richard Keys has no charisma whatsoever", I suppose.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
"Richard Keys" and "charisma"? They're three words that are never normally seen in the same sentence.

Unless the sentence is "Richard Keys has no charisma whatsoever", I suppose.

You can't please all of the people all of the time.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria

In the meantime, I'm more worried about the dreadful presenters. Not one of them has the charisma or presence of Richard Keys.

Now, I know Crodo is a fine wind-up merchant but are you being serious? Keys charisma and presence? He's always been a fawning embarrassment.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

I can only assume that was written out of jest - charisma and presense are two words I thought I would never see in the same sentence as Richard Keys, unless they were preceded by "He has neither ...". I didn't mind him, but he's as dull as ditchwater.

Zamoracomehome

Apr 12, 2010
Hove
Listened to a bit of their show on TalkSport for the first time today...Monday Night Football without the giant iPad...what was worse was the fact they had callers and guests on and never let them finish what they were saying, either interrupting with Andy Gray catching on to what someone was going to say and so finishing their sentence and taking the credit for the opinion...or by using a clip of an interview to interrupt a caller.

I felt sorry for the European Football reporter from the Racing Post who was on as a guest to preview tonights Arsenal-Barca game, and he never got to say the opinions he was brought on to the programme for. Awful, egotistical programme.

New generation of the likes of Colin Murray and Ben Shepherd are the way forward.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
"New generation of the likes of Colin Murray and Ben Shepherd are the way forward".

???

Surely that line will get more derision than my opinion that Richard Keys has both charisma AND presence?! I honestly can't believe alot of what I've read on here about the demise of the best football presenter on TV. Very strange.

Zamoracomehome

Apr 12, 2010
Hove
Richard Keys has never been original. He's a safe pair of hands, (before the incidents) he was unflappable...but charisma? Presence yes, but in my opinion not charisma. There needs to be something more original in football presentation, and giant ipads and laddish banter probably isn't it.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I think Richard Keys was the perfect foil for Andy Gray though, and for their guests who were basically there to have big opinions on the big incidents, I thought the balance was perfect with the straight man prompting reponses from the blokes who were there to give opinions. Personally, I think Richard Keys was/is massively underated and I think his role within the Sky Sports machine was more important than people seem to realise, or want to give him credit for. I think only now he's gone we'll see how good he actually was.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
"New generation of the likes of Colin Murray and Ben Shepherd are the way forward".

???

Surely that line will get more derision than my opinion that Richard Keys has both charisma AND presence?! I honestly can't believe alot of what I've read on here about the demise of the best football presenter on TV. Very strange.

I always liked the show, but Keys was basically a blank wall for Gray to talk to. His knowledge of football is derisory - although to be fair he was there to play the "straight man", so maybe he was just good at that. I was quite happy with the program, but now there is a break, I think it's time for something different. Don't think much of Colin Murray really, inoffensive, but doesn't offer much for me. Ben Shephard does a good job on a Sunday morning, and wouldn't mind him getting it. Must say, I watch very little of all the analysis stuff these days though, I want to watch the footie and tend to switch away apart from that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here