Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone just seen Newcastles support tonight?

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Away to Manchester City, they have less than half of the original 3000 allacation!:rolleyes:

There support has dipped so much in the last couple of years, I know its the recession and that, but tonights following is really bad.

:eek:

Slough Seagull

Bye Bye Slough
Nov 23, 2006
just like the 50...sorry 16,000 that were there when we won 1-0 just after Keegan had taken over...

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I went to St James' Park a couple of weeks ago for the FA Cup replay with Hull.

Only 31,000 there that night with all sorts of discount tickets including best seat in the house for £25 and kids for a fiver.

(by that I mean that it was £5 for kids to get in, not black and white clad young geordie urchins for sale at five pound)

Oct 25, 2003
I went to St James' Park a couple of weeks ago for the FA Cup replay with Hull.

Only 31,000 there that night with all sorts of discount tickets including best seat in the house for £25 and kids for a fiver.

(by that I mean that it was £5 for kids to get in, not black and white clad young geordie urchins for sale at five pound)

for some reason newcastle NEVER get good gates for FA Cup games- they had 50,242 for the home league game against Hull

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
for some reason newcastle NEVER get good gates for FA Cup games- they had 50,242 for the home league game against Hull

That's kind of true of every club though isn't it? I went to Watford v Palace the other week and they only had 10,000 despite the fact it was a London derby and it only cost £10 to get in. The FA Cup doesn't seem to draw the crowds unless it's a glamour tie.

It seems especially bad for Premiership clubs because it's something they actually have a genuine chance of winning (look at Portsmouth last year) - any Premier club can beat one of the big 4 on their day.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
or the 12,692 that turned up for our match against them in 1991.

I thought every Newcastle fan was a fan for life who went home and away to everygame as they are THE BEST supporters in the world!

A bit like the loyal Chelsea fan. I went to Chelsea v Coventry 4.5.1994 and the crowds was just over 8,000 with about 1,500 from Coventry (who won 2-1) Must have been one of the lowest crowds in the Premiership that season!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think it was 10,404 actually.

I thought every Newcastle fan was a fan for life who went home and away to everygame as they are THE BEST supporters in the world!

A bit like the loyal Chelsea fan. I went to Chelsea v Coventry 4.5.1994 and the crowds was just over 8,000 with about 1,500 from Coventry (who won 2-1) Must have been one of the lowest crowds in the Premiership that season!
Newcastle fans are nowhere near as fickle as Chelsea's. It's not even close. Chelsea were getting 7,500 for the first half of their last promotion season. And then their second season in the Premiership, they got 7,300 for a midweek match at home to Southampton.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007

Chelsea were getting 7,500 for the first half of their last promotion season. And then their second season in the Premiership, they got 7,300 for a midweek match at home to Southampton.

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:.

Thank f*** it's not only me who knew that, I try explaining that to people, but they dont have it. Blobby, have you got a link proving that please? Will use that in the future.:clap2:

f***ing hate Chelsea.

Oct 25, 2003
it could just tell you that this generation of newcastle fans are more loyal than past generations? just a thought

i think that attendances from 20 odd years ago (when attendances were nationally relatively low?) are fairly irrelevant

how many lower half premiership clubs are capable of drawing in 50,000 fans? not many is the answer

Slough Seagull

Bye Bye Slough
Nov 23, 2006
it could just tell you that this generation of newcastle fans are more loyal than past generations? just a thought

i think that attendances from 20 odd years ago (when attendances were nationally relatively low?) are fairly irrelevant

how many lower half premiership clubs are capable of drawing in 50,000 fans? not many is the answer

we will see what happens when they get relegated this season...

Oct 25, 2003
we will see what happens when they get relegated this season...

they wouldn't fill st james' in the championship- but i'd like to see ANY team get 50,000 while not playing in the prem

they'd get somewhere between 30,000 and 40,000 i'd imagine- more than sunderland and leeds got at that level anyway

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

I don't think Newcastle fans are particularly fickle. It's just that they're no more loyal than any other fans in the country.

In fact, the only really big club loyal fans are probably those at Man City - they were getting 21,000 in the dark days of the 80s when gates were low everywhere, they were getting 30,000 in the 90s for second tier football and they didn't desert for their one year in division 3.

(I'm not counting Liverpool or Man Utd because they've never really had any lean years in the past 40 years and 100s of times more fans than seats)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here