Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone (In North Stand?) Care To Actually Talk Us Through The Northampton Goal?

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Lankyseagull said:
Remember years ago the furore caused by Jimmy Hill when he blamed a Blackburn ball girl for releasing a ball too quickly which lead to Liverpool's equaliser in an FA Cup tie, preventing the 2nd Division club from acheiving a giantkilling?

Yes I remember that, it made the national newspapers and the ball girl was featured in several articles about it.

The people who abused the ball boy for throwing the ball back too quickly (wrongly) should be ASHAMED. We in the North all thought the same thing.

McGleish is still a ***** though

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
trueblue said:
Ah. Bring back Keith Cuss! Now HE was a ball boy.... :clap2:

Almost caused a riot against Manchester City.

why wot happened?

(by the way, the enemy must be having a laugh if she thinks vincent is better than moi)

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Race said:
why wot happened?

(by the way, the enemy must be having a laugh if she thinks vincent is better than moi)

He was kind of like Matt Hicks I guess, but also worked as a "ball boy" too along the line. The ball came towards him towards the end of the game and he "accidently" decided to let it hit his head. Actually he headed it into the stand.

I seem to recall he was relieved of his duties that week.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
You don't get much chance to make yourself a legend on the non playing side.

He definately did that afternoon.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Adriodinho[/i] [B]From what I have heard said:
Actually I couldn't really give a f*** about his spelling mistakes, I do get f***ed off with his offering comment over an incident he hasn't seen.

OK; you have 1/2 a point; but be honest, if it had been someone else who hadn't been at the game but who, having read about what had happened, expressed the same opinion; would you have responded in quite the same way?

I know he's a pain sometimes; but......

Last edited:

D

Deleted User X18H

Ernest said:
If we had TRIED and tested ballboys doing the job instead of kids then we would have won.
This would never have happened if Keith Cuss was still ballboy :angry: :angry: :angry:
Never a truer word:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Normally I believe the younger ball balls hand the ball to a more senior one who then throws it to the player.

However it appears that after Gorman moaned that here was only one ball down that end one was placed by the side of the pitch, and was not actually in the ball boys hands.

the ball then oes into row z , Hinch is off pitch , wankface picks it up, takes it quickly and it's 1-1.

BTW anyone else read the tosser's piece in the programme - seems to have selective memory when it comes to the 4-4 at the Goldsone

If those statements are true, then it's a bit worrying that there has to be ballboy hierarchy before a ball gets back to a player. One ballboy of any seniority should suffice, and any ballboy who would hang onto the ball to delay play would be misguided and misbehaving - and somewhat cynical to the game at an early age, surely?

Secondly, if Gorman made that moan, then his foresight and attention to detail won his side a point - and I can only admire him for that since his side weren't looking like scoring any other way!

Why did it have to be McGleish who engineered the goal out of that moment? That makes it even more galling that our defenders got mugged by the bastard. :angry:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
It was Quinn who scored, McGleish's throw though. :angry:

Still, the sitter he missed. :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Tom Hark said:
The one I'm thinking of came from another quickly taken throw-in.

The one you are thinking of came before the Northampton equaliaser. When Henderson was one on one with the Northampton player and he palmed his shot to his right.

If you want to really blame anyone for this incidents then you can start with Whing. It was his terrible clearance that started it all. If he had cleared the ball down the right flank with some accuracy and length it would have neve have happened. Hinsh then had to deal with the poor Whing clearance by lumping it into orbit.
Brighton players switch off, Northampton players stay switched on 1-1!

Southover Street Seagull said:
If you want to really blame anyone for this incidents then you can start with Whing. It was his terrible clearance that started it all. If he had cleared the ball down the right flank with some accuracy and length it would have neve have happened. Hinsh then had to deal with the poor Whing clearance by lumping it into orbit.
Brighton players switch off, Northampton players stay switched on 1-1!

Ahem - Whing was elsewhere I think, so it was Fraser who mis-kicked. Hardly anything except a human error, and why did Hinsh "have to" lump the ball into orbit, then be skinned from the throw-in?

If I were Wilkins, I'd be giving Hinshelwood detention for that clever move.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
"You never win anything with kids"

:D :) :lolol: :D :) :lolol: :D :) :lolol: :D :) :lolol: :D :) :lolol: :D :) :lolol: :D :) :lolol: :D :) :lolol:

NMH said:
Ahem - Whing was elsewhere I think, so it was Fraser who mis-kicked. Hardly anything except a human error, and why did Hinsh "have to" lump the ball into orbit, then be skinned from the throw-in?

If I were Wilkins, I'd be giving Hinshelwood detention for that clever move.

I think you may be wrong it was Whing who did the poor clearance. I have just looked at the video and Tommy Fraser is not even in the picture when the goal was scored. But Whing is running back with Hinshelwood and El-Abd to try and stop the goal. Why was Hinshelwood at fault, aren't defenders supposed to clear the ball out of danger?

Yes, but he cleared the ball out of the stadium. The ball that he kicked may well have been 'clear', but when the opposing team are apparently still playing, and - wowee Mr Hinshelwood, they have even found a new ball! - then someone should be aware that the game is still underway.

The fact is, absolute fact, that one side managed to play football while the other stood still. There was no cheating done, no astounding and surprising new rule, it was all very simple and fair, and only one set of players knew what was happening.

Someone was at fault Southover, and someone else took advantage of a simple lapse. I think we can safely say, that it was advantage McGleish and Quinn, wouldn't you agree?

NMH said:
Yes, but he cleared the ball out of the stadium. The ball that he kicked may well have been 'clear', but when the opposing team are apparently still playing, and - wowee Mr Hinshelwood, they have even found a new ball! - then someone should be aware that the game is still underway.

The fact is, absolute fact, that one side managed to play football while the other stood still. There was no cheating done, no astounding and surprising new rule, it was all very simple and fair, and only one set of players knew what was happening.

Someone was at fault Southover, and someone else took advantage of a simple lapse. I think we can safely say, that it was advantage McGleish and Quinn, wouldn't you agree?

Yes I agree with you NMH, even though Hinshelwood had done part of his job, he and the other Brighton defenders should have stayed switched on and been aware of what the Northampton players were up to.
I said this is a previous post: "Brighton players switch off, Northampton players stay switched on 1-1!"
Was talking about the game to a mate earlier today and we both agreed the draw was a fair result.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here