Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone (In North Stand?) Care To Actually Talk Us Through The Northampton Goal?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Has to be said that neither me, nor a single one of my fellow South Stand cohorts actually SAW the events leading up to the Northampton goal. Last most of us saw was the ball being hoofed into the nature reserve circa H Block. Next thing, we all turn round just in time to see one of their players curl the ball past Ireland's *cough* Number One.

Whereupon grown adults old enough to be grandads rounded upon the little tiddler of a ballboy who can't have been more than six years old and started hurling a level of abuse that season ticket holders have been banned for. WTF?

Did anybody actually SEE what happened?

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
I saw it - Throw in was taken quickly down the line, Whing, El-Abd and Fraser failed to notice (looking for the other ball), their bloke calmly curled the ball around Henderson into the far corner

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Withdean Wanderer said:
I saw it - Throw in was taken quickly down the line, Whing, El-Abd and Fraser failed to notice (looking for the other ball), their bloke calmly curled the ball around Henderson into the far corner

Saw the last bit cheers. But why the vehement verbal abuse of the little kid ballboy? What did he do/not do?

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Tom Hark said:
Saw the last bit cheers. But why the vehement verbal abuse of the little kid ballboy? What did he do/not do?

Gave a ball straight to the Northampton bloke, who then took the throw in before anyone in our back line realised!

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Tom Hark said:
Scapegoat for the players being switched off. Idiots.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
I watched the ball go straight into the trees, I then suddenly turned to see a Northampton player with the ball at his feet and then curl the ball into the bottom right hand corner.

I think we went to sleep for a short while and got punished for it.

Hinsh whacked the ball out of the ground and was off the pitch. The Northampton player grabbed a ball from the side and threw straight to the striker who was clean through in the gap vacated by Hinsh. He went forward two or three strides and bent it round Hendo.

The ball boy either gave the ball to their player or had left the spare ball by the touchline. Either way it was quick thinking on their part and ball watching (as it left orbit) on the part of Hinsh and Fraser.

The kid can't really be blamed. They aren't there to slow play up when we're defending. At the time I thought it was unfortunate that a ball happened to be there and did question if the ball boys had hold of the ball or not, as it looked to me that the player just picked it straight up from the touchline. If the ball boys had hold of the ball that may have given us time to regroup. Not his fault though.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
No WAY can you blame the little ballboy kiddy. The Northampton player was switched on enough to know that we WERN'T switched on at all, and so demanded the ball quickly from the ballboy. He's only a little-un, hardly going to give the finger to a fully-grown Northampton player is he.

I was struggling with my poncho anyway. I nearly SUFFOCATED.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
Easy 10 said:
No WAY can you blame the little ballboy kiddy. The Northampton player was switched on enough to know that we WERN'T switched on at all, and so demanded the ball quickly from the ballboy. He's only a little-un, hardly going to give the finger to a fully-grown Northampton player is he.

I was struggling with my poncho anyway. I nearly SUFFOCATED.

Easy 10 nearly dies by poncho.................. SHOCKER. :eek: :eek:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Silent Bob said:
Scapegoat for the players being switched off. Idiots.

Cheers all, for filling in the gaps.

Seem to recall the players were equally switched off about five minutes later when Northampton again took a quick throw and only Henderson's hand stopped it ending 2-1.

Room for improvement there methinks ???

Last edited:

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Kylies Stunt Arse said:

The kid can't really be blamed. They aren't there to slow play up when we're defending. At the time I thought it was unfortunate that a ball happened to be there and did question if the ball boys had hold of the ball or not, as it looked to me that the player just picked it straight up from the touchline. If the ball boys had hold of the ball that may have given us time to regroup. Not his fault though.

Nice little touch at the end was both Henderson and Butters going to see the lad and probably tell him it wasn't his fault.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Tom Hark said:

Seem to recall the players were equally switched off about five minutes later when Northampton took a quick throw and only Henderson's hand stopped it ending 2-1.

Indeed, I commented on that too although on that occasion they may have had some excuse, Whing had just gone off and would probably have occupied that space. Not much of an excuse though.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Tom Hark said:

Seem to recall the players were equally switched off about five minutes later when Northampton again took a quick throw and only Henderson's hand stopped it ending 2-1.

That was from a free kick in the immediate aftermath of Whing going off reducing us to 10 men more disorganisation than switching off.

Braders said:
SACK THE BALLBOYS :angry: :angry: :angry:

To be honest Braders I do sort of agree with that! I've said for ages that we would be so much better off using first year scholars as ball boys rather than the assorted 5 year olds that we seem to have at the moment. At least you would hope that lads hoping to play for the club would be a lot more switched on and quicker in their actions. It may not have helped us today, and I'm sure that the club another "Keith Cuss" incident wouldn't go down well, but we do seem to suffer at times.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Theatre of Trees said:
That was from a free kick in the immediate aftermath of Whing going off reducing us to 10 men more disorganisation than switching off.

The one I'm thinking of came from another quickly taken throw-in.

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
From the North Stand the events were also cloudy. It seemed everyone in the stadium got caught watching to see if the ball was going to clear the south stand.

The ball went out of sight, I looked back at the pitch in time to see Hendo's despairing dive and the net bulge :down:

The Complete Badger said:
There was no ballboy involved. I sit in F Block, so right by where they took the throw from. When Hinsh booted it out, McGleish (it would have to be him!) PICKED UP a ball from the side of the pitch - it was just kind of sitting there with some other crap. The ballboy had LEFT it there, as for most of the match he was actually standing in that exact spot. Totall his fault IMO:angry:

You can't blame the kid. He's not allowed to hold up play, and they may have been told to place a ball down if they have to go get another one. It was sloppy by the defenders, that's all there is to it. If we had older ball boys then it's possible that maybe they would have held the ball and given us a second or so longer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here