Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone had General Anaesthetic here beofre?

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
Have a signifcant knee operation tomorrow - never had a general before so was wondering what sort of recovery time you can expect and anything to0 be careful of.

HOw quickly does the injection take effect?

terrymendez

Nov 22, 2006
Dials
Had a few.

Its the best feeling ever, enjoy it. It takes about thirty seconds, I usually shut my eyes and relax as soon as the needle goes in - really relaxing feeling.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think it stays in your system for about 6 months and as far as I'm aware you won't get to 10 if you start counting when they give it to you.

Keyhole surgery or knives, scalpels, saws, hatchets and axes?

You may have a pre-med (usually diazepam or something similar) to relax you before going down to theatre; in my experience, the general anaesthetic will knock you out within 10 secs. Gaffer's daughter, BAG, should be good for advice on this.

PM me if you want.

tricky

Jul 7, 2003
Reigate
very strange experience - you conk out very quickly and you wake up with a real sense of lost time (like being taken by aliens I imagine)!!
The last one I had didn't properly knock me out and so I was conscious through the whole operation but couldn't feel anything. I thought it hadn't worked but then ony later I realised that I couldn't remember anything that happened.

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
They got me to count up to 10 and I think I got to about 4!!

I had only been out for 20 mins but it felt like I'd had a few hours kip! It's a very strange feeling when you come round. I couldn't even remember how I got back to my hospital bed from the operating table!! My dad had to explain it to me!! :lolol:

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Going for my 11th in a couple of weeks, and yes, i do want a medal!

The injection will take about 4 seconds to work, the next thing you know you'll be waking up all woozy with a nice nurse shouting at you to wake up! You may be really sick (I normally am) but they can fix that really quickly.

Please PLEASE adhere to the nil by mouth rules else you will die - no two ways about it.

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
Blimey - I had visions of sitting in the pre-op ward waiting for it to take effect - it really is that quick?

Just a little nervous of anything that I dont understand or had before - that involves something like this.

Having hte Meniscus fused together, the anterior cruciate 'dealt with' - appraently if they find it is in a real mess then I will be back in again shortly.

My real concern is that I have not played any cricket this season and a knee injury at my age could be the death knell on any competitive sport - I'm nearly 37 before you ask

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Blimey - I had visions of sitting in the pre-op ward waiting for it to take effect - it really is that quick?

Just a little nervous of anything that I dont understand or had before - that involves something like this.

It's perfectly normal to feel nervous about it - i get nervous every time, but there are always very nice people around that will help you calm down.

It is that quick, they'll take you into the anaesthetic room, get you nice and comfortable and laying down, and then they'll just put the anaesthetic into your arm (normally they'll put a cannula in beforehand as its easier). They'll get you to count down from 10, and if you've made it to 6 then you've done very well!!!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
BAG - blimey you serious!! You will die?? I was told to abstain completely from midnight tonight.....

So if I ate a sugar puff or a cornflake I would die?

Christ!

You know the old adage that you swallow a spider or three whilst you are asleep? I would avoid sleeping with your mouth open if I were you. Nil by mouth means just that.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The last one I had didn't properly knock me out and so I was conscious through the whole operation but couldn't feel anything. I thought it hadn't worked but then ony later I realised that I couldn't remember anything that happened.

Are you sure you weren't just sedated ? It has a similar effect as a GA but you are awake enough to do what you're asked ( move your head to the left and other simple instructions ) and to realise whats going on. Sometimes you forget the whole thing when you come round and other times you can remember it .... if only vaguely.

I highly recommend sedation - great feeling both during and after ! :thumbsup:

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Are you sure you weren't just sedated ? It has a similar effect as a GA but you are awake enough to do what you're asked ( move your head to the left and other simple instructions ) and to realise whats going on. Sometimes you forget the whole thing when you come round and other times you can remember it .... if only vaguely.

I highly recommend sedation - great feeling both during and after ! :thumbsup:

Midazolam sedation is great - i don't remember anything once i've had that stuff!

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
I have had quite a few and Laura is pretty much spot on. If you have eaten it can cause effects you will not like. If they find out you have eaten they will cancel the operation.

I luckily have never been sick when i have come around!

tricky

Jul 7, 2003
Reigate
No defo general as I counted down from 10, and then said "err I'm still awake" and I can remember the anaesthetist and the doc having a chat about what to do. The doc afterwards confirmed afterwards that I had been awake but said it was nothing to worry about as for my procedure they try and use as little as possible and as I seemed to be incapicated they decided to go ahead. Wish I could remember more as I was in front of the tv showing everyone what the doc was up to.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here