Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone had an Epidural?

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
I thought only women had them, but I've been told I need one.

:(

Do they hurt?

Gluteus Maximus

Jul 10, 2003
Trumpton
Great things... Had one with my cruciate ligament op. Combined with a happy pill I could feel the vibrations and sensation of the surgeon hammering the nail into my knee all through by body while looking at it. I even thought it was fascinating watching him pull the length of muscle outside of my knee that was going to be the new ligament. I then told all the staff to kiss each other and that I loved them.
Thoroughly recommended, though perhaps more the happy pill than the great f*** off epidural needle.

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
Hurts like f***....:lolol: :lolol:

Only kidding, the first injection hurts like f***, the Epidural is a piece of piss.:lolol:

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
It can hurt a bit while they are setting it up but nothing agonising. Also, you are pain free for quite a while after the operation as well as not having to deal with the after effects of a general anaesthetic.

Sadly, since my "neural pathways" were deemed to be "f***ed", I wasn't able to watch my ankle being rebuilt because the wrong leg went numb!

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
So these doctors aren't taking the piss out of me like? Epidurals can be for boys too, right?

Wanna hear more about this happy pill

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Epidurals can definitely be for boys! And so are the happy pills. Just make sure you look suitably scared and they are bound to offer you something to take your mind off the epidural. With any luck it'll take your mind off pretty much everything else too...

Mrs Coach

aka Jesus H. Woman
They lay you on your side and it feels like someone has 'tapped' you on the back with a bit of a scratch. Then you go numb from the waist down. It's nothing to worry about. Just dont look at the equipment, it looks scarier than it is!

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
My wife had them for both of our boys and said it was fine, just a scratch she said !
She is pretty used to needles and injections and stuff though unfortunately.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Gluteus Maximus said:
I then told all the staff to kiss each other
Trying to get a load of Danish nurses to kiss each other? You're a BEAST. :thumbsup:

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Epidural analgesia carries the potential for many complications. Some of these are relatively common but not serious. Others are extremely rare and serious. Permanent paralysis, cardiac arrest and death are serious complications.

Muscle weakness associated with epidurals has the potential to cause the bladder to become overfull. This may lead to problems in the future with passing urine. This is compounded by loss of sensation of the discomfort caused by bladder distension.

Permanent paralysis resulting from epidural analgesia is uncommon. A recent review of 500,000 cases performed in the United Kingdom did not reveal a single case. One case has been reported in Australia. In this case, the patient had a rare malformation of blood vessels around the spinal cord. This was unknown to the patient and resulted in a blood clot which caused compression injury to the spinal cord.

Anaesthetists consider this to be an extremely serious potential, but very rare, complication of epidural analgesia. Experience from the general surgical population reveals that this risk is increased in patients on anticoagulants or who suffer from disorders of blood clotting. This may occur in association with severe hypertension .
Permanent injury to the spinal cord could also occur as a result of infection. For this reason, a sterile technique similar to surgical operations is enforced

:drink:

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
I think I had one when I had a lumbar puncture. Except the anaesthetic didn't work.

Several people had to hold me down as I was in screaming agony.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Downloaded Penguin said:
I think I had one when I had a lumbar puncture. Except the anaesthetic didn't work.

Several people had to hold me down as I was in screaming agony.
I think it might have been the lumbar puncture itself that made you scream in agony. According to Mrs Brovian (who is a Nurse) they are very VERY painful. But it hurts the patient not the medical team so that's alright.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here