Anyone got FreeSat

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Is the HD version any good?

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I haven't got this, but was interested to hear it was coming onto the market. How many HD channels can you get?

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
I have the normal version via Sky and it is okay. No idea about the HD version though.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
The HD version runs BBc HD and ITV Hd though I'm not sure if the ITV broadcast is just the euro games !!!

HD is fanBLOOODYtastic though, I'd recommend it till the cows come home

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
The HD version runs BBc HD and ITV Hd though I'm not sure if the ITV broadcast is just the euro games !!!

HD is fanBLOOODYtastic though, I'd recommend it till the cows come home

I didn't realise there was an ITV version of HD yet. I can't get it on my Sky receiver.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
I didn't realise there was an ITV version of HD yet. I can't get it on my Sky receiver.

its a Freesat only channel, which is quite annoying !!!

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Is that because ITV are being TWATS, or is it the unadulterated GREED of Sky that is keeping off their listings?

HD is SUPERB btw

I believe its the former ..

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Wait until later on in the year...There's going to be a recordable HD Freesat box which does the same as V+ or Sky+.

I've currently got a V+ box and it's great as you can record TWO programmes and watch a third all at the same time, where as with Sky +, I believe you can only record one and watch another at the same time.

Also don't get the interference that you do alot of the time with Sky...That said, I've never used Sky +!

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Wait until later on in the year...There's going to be a recordable HD Freesat box which does the same as V+ or Sky+.

I've currently got a V+ box and it's great as you can record TWO programmes and watch a third all at the same time, where as with Sky +, I believe you can only record one and watch another at the same time.

Also don't get the interference that you do alot of the time with Sky...That said, I've never used Sky +!

your quite right, also while we are on the subject I do like the new Sky+ series record adverts, the caveat at the end 'Sky+ will only recorded certain series'' is brilliant, a problem V+ certainly doesn't have..

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Interference is down to a badly installed dish, you shouldn't get interference if it was installed by a professional, rather than a trained monkey.

Sky+ Series Link fails on most of the low budget channels due to the channel owners incompetence - Virgin doesn't have those channels and also controls its own EPG, unlike on Sky, so thats why that works better.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
ITV are being twats for sure :)

Although with loads of HD channels on SKY and no England in the Euros it's no great loss!

I'm glad I have a couple of external hard drives to record all this BBC HD footy as well :)

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
your quite right, also while we are on the subject I do like the new Sky+ series record adverts, the caveat at the end 'Sky+ will only recorded certain series'' is brilliant, a problem V+ certainly doesn't have..

The only issue i've got with V+ is the lack of HD content and channels, but then it took them a while when they were Cable & Wireless to sort out Digitial TV...

I

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall

You can record 2 programmes at a time on Sky, you just can't watch a third.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I have a Sky dish already up and working. Is it just a case of buying a FreeSat HD receiver, or do I need to change the dish or LNB?

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Interference is down to a badly installed dish, you shouldn't get interference if it was installed by a professional, rather than a trained monkey.

Our dish was fitted about 4 years ago (by Sky) but we have recently been getting that pixellated interference when the weather is bad - could the dish have been blown out of alignment or something, or could it be a hardware problem?

BTW the dish is on the roof so I can't adjust it myself without risking a 'Rod Hull'!! :eek:

Last edited:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
BTW the dish is on the roof so I can't adjust it myself without risking a 'Rod Hull'!! :eek:

What has being a freaky, ginger pervert got to do with your satellite dish?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Our dish was fitted about 4 years ago (by Sky) but we have recently been getting that pixellated interference when the weather is bad - could the dish have been blown out of alignment or something, or could it be a hardware problem?

Dish maybe misaligned , pixellation happens when its raining or very overcast and cloudy. If it is snowing , pissing it down with rain or there are thunderstorms you will lose the signal altogether. As your installation was done 4 years ago there could be problems with the lnb or the coaxial cabling if water has got in. On the other hand it maybe the set top box that has a tuner that is on the way out. A satellite engineer can check things out but make sure they are not just a cowboy outfit as they will rip you off and replace everything even if it doesn't need doing.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I have a Sky dish already up and working. Is it just a case of buying a FreeSat HD receiver, or do I need to change the dish or LNB?
If everything works OK on your dodgybox then you just need to swap over boxes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here