Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone got a Freeview box with built in hard drive?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
Advice please.

Etc.

The new ones ? Bit of a scam as they cost a lot and you don't get many extra channels from Top Up TV. Better to have Sky or NTL.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I've got a satellite box with built-in hard drive (no, not a Sky+) by a company that makes Freeview ones - Topfield. Its OK but it crashes and loses the recording in progress far more than a DVD writer or VCR would.

Topfield and Humax are OK, avoid Digifusion/Fusion like the plague.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
Don't really want extra channels. Just want to record stuff when I'm out. Don't want to pay for Sky -- and anyway, it's not allowed in my block of flats.

Satellite dishes not allowed is a breach of your European rights. Used that one, sucessfully, against the council when they said my 105CM dish was breaking the 100CM maximum rules, they soon f***ed off.

ManOnTheRun

Jul 7, 2003
West Hove
MYOB said:
I've got a satellite box with built-in hard drive (no, not a Sky+) by a company that makes Freeview ones - Topfield. Its OK but it crashes and loses the recording in progress far more than a DVD writer or VCR would.

Topfield and Humax are OK, avoid Digifusion/Fusion like the plague.

Interesting, I'm pretty close to ordering a Topfield TF5800 PVR 160GB, just waiting for payday. Been weighing up the options for a while and felt this was the best as the firmware can be upgraded to run a version (albeit bastardised) of series link.

Any reason for it crashing? Have you installed a lot of TAPS?

Last edited:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
ManOnTheRun said:
Interesting, I'm pretty close to ordering a Topfield TF5800 PVR 160GB, just waiting for payday. Been weighing up the options for a while and felt this was the best as the firmware can be upgraded to run a version (albeit bastardised) of series link.

Any reason for it crashing? Have you installed a lot of TAPS?

Its been f***ed (with) more times than Katie Price ;)

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Seeing as I dont want to go back to NTL since they buggered up the showing of the live Albion v Palace game and I dont want to fill Murdocks coffers (despite Sky getting Lost :angry: )

So its Freeview for me.

I have a lovely Panasonic, DVD recorder that plays and records and also has a 80gb hard drive. It also has freeview.

Fantastic as it gets me away from having two many boxes and wires. It is also perfect for copying old videos onto DVD. Got all my Albion vids onto DVD now.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Im thinking of putting together a myth box. Sounds interesting. I know its going to be a complete headache, but then I can have the equivelant as a sky+ box without sky and without the ability to set the programmes from my mobile absolutely free.

What it will allow me to do is record freeview.

http://www.mythtv.org/modules.php?name=MythFeatures

http://www.mythtv.org/

Last edited:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
DIFFBROOK said:
Seeing as I dont want to go back to NTL since they buggered up the showing of the live Albion v Palace game and I dont want to fill Murdocks coffers (despite Sky getting Lost :angry: )

So its Freeview for me.

I have a lovely Panasonic, DVD recorder that plays and records and also has a 80gb hard drive. It also has freeview.

Fantastic as it gets me away from having two many boxes and wires. It is also perfect for copying old videos onto DVD. Got all my Albion vids onto DVD now.

How much?

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
MYOB said:
Its been f***ed (with) more times than Katie Price ;)

Three times?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here