Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

anyone got a fish tank...need advice...

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Get yourself a decent net to fish out the floaters.There are some nasty cheap ones on the market.:albion2:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Don't get upset with the increase in your electricity consumption and be prepared to be patient you are guaranteed to lose fish at the start and switch off lights at night, algie loves light - we have just bought two snails to help cure our algie problem, works a treat but the bloody things are laying eggs everywhere

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
get a couple of jap fighting fish spray one blue n white the other will look like its wearing a palace kit anyway,sit back and watch the action. :catfight:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
We had issues with our fish tank, but the Pleco sorted it out and it looks pretty cool

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
Try some Red Eyed Tetras, tough as old boots I had 2 that lasted 8/9 years, 15L tank 6 fish, give them space don't make them live as if they were on the London underground.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Christ almighty some people are giving some seriously shit advice about this.

Let's put a few myths to bed firstly.

If you get a few Corydoras ( i think there called that) they eat all the crap on the bottom and Clown Loach are good to for that. Also any type of catfish eat the algae. These help to keep tank clean.

Whilst corydorus are bottom feeders, they will not eat "all the crap on the bottom" They will hoover up uneaten food that falls into the gravel but they wont eat dead plant leaves, fish waste or any other "crap"

Of all the catfish species, only a few will eat algea. If you go for a pleco, make sure it's not one that will get to 15" long in a short space of time. I have a 50 gallon planted tank and a pair of rosy barbs and pair of swordtails sorted my algea problem out in a couple of days.

Get some neon tetras. They are FLAIR

Unfortunately, not one of the easiest fish to keep these days due to massive captive breeding programmes resulting in poor generic....the same goes for the guppy !!!

i'd buy some cheep fish to start with, the first lot invariably die

be prepared to be patient you are guaranteed to lose fish at the start

Both absolute bollocks. If you do your research, don't rush into things and don't stock too quickly, there's no reason why you can't keep your first fish for many years.

Try some Red Eyed Tetras, tough as old boots I had 2 that lasted 8/9 years

Nice fish, should be kept in a shoal but can be notorious fin-nippers

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
Christ almighty some people are giving some seriously shit advice about this.

Let's put a few myths to bed firstly.

Whilst corydorus are bottom feeders, they will not eat "all the crap on the bottom" They will hoover up uneaten food that falls into the gravel but they wont eat dead plant leaves, fish waste or any other "crap"

Of all the catfish species, only a few will eat algea. If you go for a pleco, make sure it's not one that will get to 15" long in a short space of time. I have a 50 gallon planted tank and a pair of rosy barbs and pair of swordtails sorted my algea problem out in a couple of days.

Unfortunately, not one of the easiest fish to keep these days due to massive captive breeding programmes resulting in poor generic....the same goes for the guppy !!!

Both absolute bollocks. If you do your research, don't rush into things and don't stock too quickly, there's no reason why you can't keep your first fish for many years.

Nice fish, should be kept in a shoal but can be notorious fin-nippers

was it not obvious that by 'all the crap' i meant uneaten food

Also ive used sand instead of gravel, bit more difficult to keep clean but think it looks a lot better.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
was it not obvious that by 'all the crap' i meant uneaten food

Also ive used sand instead of gravel, bit more difficult to keep clean but think it looks a lot better.

No it wasn't that obvious...sorry mate. many people believe catfish to be the be all and end all of fishkeeping....but are usually very disappointed.

Yep i use sand too.....i put a layer of John Innes potting compost down first and then a layer of playpit sand...the plants love it but as you say, it does accumilate the crap

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I am surprised this thread has been allowed to go so ling without anyone rolling out the old "how the hell do you drive this thing?" line...

Still, I'd hake to be the huss-y who ruined it for you, so I won't bother...

Brighton till i die

You havin' a bubble?
Jan 31, 2004
On the terraces!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here