Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone going to Midnight Mass?

John Boy said:
I'm not sure on facts and figures, but it seems to be a fair few.
The 2001 census data doesn't break down the Christian denominations, but the basic figures for Brighton & Hove are:-

Christian 59.10%
No Religion 27.02%
Religion Not Stated 8.88%
Muslim 1.47%
Jewish 1.36%
Other Religions 0.85%
Buddhist 0.70%
Hindu 0.52%
Sikh 0.10%

Brighton & Hove has the second highest proportion in England & Wales of people claiming "No Religion". The city also has a higher Jewish population than the average for England & Wales. The 59.10% of people in Brighton & Hove who claim to be Christian compares with the national figure of 71.75%.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Lord Bracknell said:
Cardinal Cormac Murphy-O'Connor, former Bishop of Arundel & Brighton? He used to live round the corner from the Goldstone Ground.

That would be him, yes.

He is the Catholic Archbishop, right ???

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
roz said:
Cripes, Yorkie. That's a very liberal ecclesiastical regime! But with respect, I thought the whole point of Christmas (from a religious point of view) was the celebration of the birth of Christ. On, er, Christmas Day!!

As an evangelical protestant church we don't bother with 'special' days but meet every Sunday morning.
If Christmas Day was Sunday (like 2005) then we would meet as normal.

The Sunday meeting is only going to be a short one as well so that people can get off to whatever it is they want to do for the rest of the day and no evening meeting.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
It all sounds very sensible, Yorkie, in terms of not getting in the way of family activities and my own observance of the liturgical calendar is pretty much as close to nil as you can get. I also realise that not everyone is as fond of bells, whistles and thuribles as me. But I'm honestly interested to know whether, as a Christian, you ever feel you are missing out by not celebrating those "special" days that mark the Christian calendar.

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
roz said:
It all sounds very sensible, Yorkie. My observance of the liturgical calendar is pretty much as close to nil as you can get. I also realise that not everyone is as fond of bells, whistles and thuribles as me. But I'm honestly interested to know whether, as a Christian, you ever feel you are missing out by not celebrating those "special" days that mark the Christian calendar.

Not a bit. I had 26 years in the Anglican church so I can recite the liturgical calendar to anyone. I am glad to be free of it to be honest.
I like some of the old stuff so haven't thrown the baby out with the bath water. Most of the Christian festivals are on Sundays anyway.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
oh my gawd...yorkie is a happy clappy!

i am very dissapointed:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
dave the gaffer said:
oh my gawd...yorkie is a happy clappy!

i am very dissapointed:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Have you only just realised? :lolol: :lolol:

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I'm not religious. If there was a god, would he/she want us to praise him/her all the time?

Percy Tantrums

Jul 14, 2003
Brighton
dougdeep said:
I'm not religious. If there was a god, would he/she want us to praise him/her all the time?

No just to receive the love God grants us.

The reason we praise God is out of gratitude for what we been granted. We gather on Christmas day to thank God for the incarnation of Christ.

For some of us that is a gift that we want to thank God for all the time. For others, this is not important but at least we can all enjoy the festivities of Christmas.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
John Boy said:
Cardinal C M O'C is 20-1 to be the next pope. Imagine, an Albion supporting Pope!

http://www.paddypower.com/bet?actio...arket&category=SPECIALS&ev_class_id=45&id=520

The striker out of Palace went to Rome to see the Pope
And this is what he said:

"Who the f***ing hell are Palace?
"In relation to me getting out of bed?"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here