Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone get the feeling gus was stitched up?

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
Its worth considering that until Gus was sacked Bloom did not give any details why the manager had been suspended,we now only know one side of the story.
Its quite possible that Gus was advised there would be tight financial constraints in the coming season and realised that it would mean instant relegation if we were promoted so he could not be blamed for getting out before his cv was damaged.
Its interesting to note the many who regularly indicated that Gus could do no wrong suddenly dropped him like a hot brick.

I will hold my hand up and say I was a firm supporter of Gus, but I am of all managers Albion, I've already renamed the kids goldfish from Gus to Oscar. :lol:

I also liked Murray, but now don't give a shit about him... You see I support the Albion and only want the best for the Albion, Gus has since shown his loyalty and i can only see malicious things coming from this now .. But time will tell?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
A bit naive to suggest that anything said at the fans forum by TB was NOT PR, surely?

and I place no blame on TB for that, what should we expect? We just don't know what went on, but we do have our favourites and more inclined to believe what they say than the other. Even if our favourite is right, even if they are wrong, a load more stuff went on behind the scenes than has been reported, of that I'm sure.

Too right it did. And if you heard what I heard you wouldn't be so positive about Gus either.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
calling it a PR 'stunt' is taking it a bit far in my book, but his follow-up post about finding it hard to accept the transformation from hero to villain based solely on heresay and selective release of information was pretty spot on.

The thing is, from my POV, even Gus' disrespectful unappreciative PUBLIC pronouncements are enough to provide him with a tint of 'villain'. Add to that his refusing to do his job (WTF!?) and, hey presto, without knowing all the ins and outs of what happened, you have Gus the villain.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I don't think anyone is suggesting Bloom was lying (except people trying to caricature other's opinons) - merely that what we were given was a very partial version of the truth. Aren't you interested in finding out what drove Gus to make that call? I am! And I think we need a better explanation for that than latin temperament/raving egomaniac etc etc

I don't need to 'caricature' your opinions (whatever that means!). You are eminently capable of demonstrating your foolishness without anyone's help.

Tony has too much class to reveal the sordid details, and there are legal reasons too. Hence why you heard what you heard at the fans forum, and nothing else. You may WANT to know all the details of what happened, but you never will, unless Gus decides to go to court (I hope for HIS sake, he doesn't). You need to move on.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
He'd be a pretty poor poker player if he weren't.

LoL! I meant lying about receiving Gus' call before the Palace home league game. A call in which Gus said he wanted to leave, and hopefully immediately... but, of course, in the LI fantasy world it was all a 'PR stunt'! ;-)

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Its worth considering that until Gus was sacked Bloom did not give any details why the manager had been suspended,we now only know one side of the story.
Its quite possible that Gus was advised there would be tight financial constraints in the coming season and realised that it would mean instant relegation if we were promoted so he could not be blamed for getting out before his cv was damaged.
Its interesting to note the many who regularly indicated that Gus could do no wrong suddenly dropped him like a hot brick.

Strange logic!!

If we had been promoted surely there would be a much bigger budget to attempt to stay in the Premier League.

I will hold my hand up and say I was a firm supporter of Gus, but I am of all managers Albion, I've already renamed the kids goldfish from Gus to Oscar. :lol:

I also liked Murray, but now don't give a shit about him... You see I support the Albion and only want the best for the Albion, Gus has since shown his loyalty and i can only see malicious things coming from this now .. But time will tell?

Ha at least you didnt call the goldfish "Tony". I get what you are saying but the Albion to me are the 11 players on the pitch at any one time and the fans, not the boardroom or any other servants of the club

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Ha at least you didnt call the goldfish "Tony". I get what you are saying but the Albion to me are the 11 players on the pitch at any one time and the fans, not the boardroom or any other servants of the club

So not the manager either then LI?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Anyone get the feeling gus was stitched up?

No

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
LoL! I meant lying about receiving Gus' call before the Palace home league game. A call in which Gus said he wanted to leave, and hopefully immediately... but, of course, in the LI fantasy world it was all a 'PR stunt'! ;-)

I knew exactly what you meant and you are right. I was just being facetious. My apologies. :p

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
No. Both sides are conspicuously silent on the matter. If Gus felt aggrieved about more than just being unable to say goodbye to the squad, we'd have heard about it via every news outlet in the country.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
The more we hear the more it looks like a jobs been done on mr poyet,i'll never forget what did for this club:clap2:

Wondered how long till someone like you piped up with the normal NSC shit you always do. He got his just rewards for being a whore. Yes we have to thank him for he did, but really, you thought this up all by yourself?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Don't understand why many think GP has lost out and that TB has won the "poker game"

By all accounts GP told TB he wanted to leave at the end of the season and was willing to go immediately if that is what TB wanted - he was told no.

The upshot of this whole palaver is that he has left at the end of the season as a free agent open to offers from other clubs without the potential disincentive of them having to pay BHAFC compensation.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Don't understand why many think GP has lost out and that TB has won the "poker game"

By all accounts GP told TB he wanted to leave at the end of the season and was willing to go immediately if that is what TB wanted - he was told no.

The upshot of this whole palaver is that he has left at the end of the season as a free agent open to offers from other clubs without the potential disincentive of them having to pay BHAFC compensation.

....but without having his contract pay off lining his back pocket, and with a cloud of uncertainty hanging over his head, that new employers will need to consider if they opt for Gus as a prospective employee at their club.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
....but without having his contract pay off lining his back pocket, and with a cloud of uncertainty hanging over his head, that new employers will need to consider if they opt for Gus as a prospective employee at their club.

If TB had acquiesced to GP's request back in March and agreed to him leaving at the end of the season he wouldn't have had any "contract pay off lining his back pocket" either.

Any negative effect the recent proceedings may have on his employability has to be weighed against the disincentive of compensation payable to BHAFC had on other clubs employing him. Of the two I think the potential £2 million would put off more clubs than any disciplinary procedure will.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
If TB had acquiesced to GP's request back in March and agreed to him leaving at the end of the season he wouldn't have had any "contract pay off lining his back pocket" either.

Any negative effect the recent proceedings may have on his employability has to be weighed against the disincentive of compensation payable to BHAFC had on other clubs employing him. Of the two I think the potential £2 million would put off more clubs than any disciplinary procedure will.

...all guesswork.......

Para 1) How do you work that one out?

Para 2) Subjective.....could very well be the other way round with a club where money is no problem.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here