Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

anyone flown united airlines to the states?

Greeno

Oct 16, 2009
Echoes what I just said about Delta.

Someone once told me that flying long haul routes is considered the pinnacle for American cabin crew, and something of a prestige role (as well as being the best paid), thus the crew have to work their way up over the years and "earn" the right. Hence most of them have millions of miles under their belts, while the younger, newer crews work the domestic and commuter routes until they've earned their wings.

I guess they are also experienced in having to deal with constantly changing time zones regularly

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
i fly back and forth quite a lot and mainly use American or United. to be honest with you, i don't think there's much between them - it really depends on whether you get a newer (or recently refurbished) plane. same goes for the staff, pretty hit and miss. you've just got to hope your stewardess isn't on the rag. if you're unhappy about something, some of them will go out of their way to sort it out, others won't give a shit. unfortunately, the attitude of the cabin crew isn't an option when you book...

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Ex-Shoreham
never flown transatlantic with united, but they're easily my least favourite to fly internally in the states. apart from fleecing you for checking bags, i've always found them pretty rude and unreliable.

BA/AA for UK-US is always a pretty safe bet.

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
Of the 'american airlines' I've flown (Delta, United, Continental, Pan Am (a while back), TWA, BA, Northwest) 'American Airlines' are the best; now with even more legroom, KLM were good too but via Amsterdam - Virgin were by far the worst, never again.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
If you have a bit of flexibility time wise one of the cheaper airlines to New York is Iceland Air and you can combine it with a stopover in Reykjavik. Makes a change from the usual suspects.

That's a good trip - can recommend it with a stopover although I also reckon United are fine - flight crew always seem very loud in my experience and perhaps a little less polished than some but not particularly unattentive and the planes are good and clean as a rule.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here