Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

anyone flown united airlines to the states?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I know american airlines have a crap reputation, but what is united like?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I have flown American a lot and I rather like them, they have the most legroom for a start. United are okay, the ones to avoid as far as I'm concerned are Delta and North West.

wallington seagull

Sep 8, 2003
Flew United Airlines from Heathrow to San Francisco last Easter, thought they were very good, very attentive flight crew, flights were also on time with a woman pilot coming back!

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I'm going to book flights for a trip to New York with my mam towards the end of the year so would also appreciate thoughts on reasonable price reasonable standard airlines.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
just come back and was quite impressed, had a brand new 777 back from SFO

Its worth upgrading to Economy plus to get a load more leg room cost us about £79 each to upgade

It will definately use them again

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
ah thanks folks. that is better than the review sites.

cheers

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Better than Delta.

Also managed to blag myself a free Business Class upgrade one time on United, simply by saying to the girl on check-in "Any chance of an upgrade?" "How would you like to pay for that?" she asked. "I was hoping I wouldn't have to," said I.

It worked, and for that reason they will always stay in my good books.

Same reason I still like BA, despite everything...

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I'm going to book flights for a trip to New York with my mam towards the end of the year so would also appreciate thoughts on reasonable price reasonable standard airlines.

Continental in to Newark is probably your best bet or maybe Virgin.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
If you have a bit of flexibility time wise one of the cheaper airlines to New York is Iceland Air and you can combine it with a stopover in Reykjavik. Makes a change from the usual suspects.

deakers

Jul 15, 2008
A mixed experience with United for me. Had 3 flights with them earlier this year. Found the flight crew to be very friendly and helpful whilst the ground crew (in the US) to be sullen and very unhelpful.
3 flights, 2 people, same booking number, we were allocated seats rows apart on every flight. We managed to change seats on the first 2 flights ourselves using the online check-in but not the third. Had to speak to 6 different people at San Francisco (each less helpful than the last) before it got sorted.

Although I did enjoy the internal flight we had, Vegas to SF. We sat in the second row from the back in front of 2 US Marshals and a prisoner in manacles! On arrival at SF the prisoner looked out of the window and remarked, "It's a bit grey and dull" to which the mahoosive Marshal handcuffed to him said, in a slow Southern drawl, "Don't matter where you're going Son" Classic.

ryeseagull

Feb 26, 2009
United States
You'll have to pay for your booze.

I'd avoid them if you're traveling with kids. We've never had a particularly good experience with them. I am resigned to the fact it is probably worth paying more for Virgin or BA. It's a matter of whether you can afford that or not.

Used them from Washington and New York to London. I'd be careful they don't stick you on a Continental flight. The companies are merging and Continental are crap. They fly a single aisle 3-3 seating plane to Newark!?!!!

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
I love American Airlines, loads of leg room and really nice staff on board.

Flown with them several times and never had a problem.

Had the flight from hell a few years back with BA from San Francisco, but been with them a couple of times since then and not too bad.

Just keep your eye out for some special deals, you can get some bargains now and then.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
Yeah, they are OK. Flew to SF with them. Can't say anything bad really. Oh, the ground staff at SF were a bit useless, but then, they are septics.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Worst transatlantic airline I've ever flown with is Delta.

The aircraft looked like something out of the Airplane! movie, clearly hadn't been refurbished since about 1980 and the cabin crew were all hatchet-faced old crones in their late fifties.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Reno Air got cancelled and United took us on. The stewardesses were the wrong side of 40 :nono:

Echoes what I just said about Delta.

Someone once told me that flying long haul routes is considered the pinnacle for American cabin crew, and something of a prestige role (as well as being the best paid), thus the crew have to work their way up over the years and "earn" the right. Hence most of them have millions of miles under their belts, while the younger, newer crews work the domestic and commuter routes until they've earned their wings.

Greeno

Oct 16, 2009
Got back a few days ago a few days ago and flew with US airways. They were much cheaper than all the other airlines however, they only fly to either Philadelphia or Charlotte from London. Not too much of an issue as you can connect to anywhere in the USA also for a relatively low price so maybe have a look at them!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here