Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

anyone feeling a bit guilty about celebrating tonight

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
At what stage do you draw the line? It's all subjective - I'd feel worse if 1,000 people died in Brighton than 200,000 in Asia, but on a human scale that's illogical.

I'm off to celebrate 'cos I can't see too many Asians holding back when I finally pop my clogs.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Going out and having a good time tonight is exactly what we should all do. Events in the last few days have proved none of us are around for ever.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Life is for living. None of us know how long we have here.
Our family lost Gran just 3 weeks ago but still celebrated Christmas.

I'm sure not one of those victims would say to you that you shouldn't enjoy your life.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I didn't really want to turn this into a " I am more compassionate than thou" thread.

It was just a personal opinion and yes, people die every day in many horrible ways, however, tonight there will be in excess of 5 million people living in the ruins of their homes and countries, caused by a freak of nature.

Listening to this bloke on the radio this morning, he was 100% convinced the next one will be the San Andreas fault in LA and that will destroy the lives of millions!

This thread is now depressing....IU am just off to have a bloody good cry:lolol: :lolol:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
You can reflect and think but life really has to go on.

I know it's harsh to say this but there was not this huge amount of grief when there was a massive earthquake in Iran.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Well I'm with the Gaffer here, it's a comment well ment and well made. But there's no reason for anybody who does have a good time to feel guilty about it as we all deal with troble in our own way.

I'm not going out because I hate this time of year anyway, I hate it even more now. No false bonhommie for me.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Happy Seagull said:
Also how many people were at the Withdean on Sept 11th? Pretty much a sell out if i remember.

People would have had their tickets in advance. Shame to waste them.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Nobody should feel guilty about going out OR about staying in. It's going to be a thoughtful sort of New Year's Eve but it's the thought that counts. Not where you do the thinking.

Citrus said:
I was, however people did not know anything about the scale of the attacks then. It was still an 'accident' then. If people had known that it was a terrorist attack and that thousands had died, it may have been a different story.

September 11th was NEVER an accident.

(Although my girlfriend at the time texted me to tell me of a "TOURIST" attack in America. :dunce: )

Last edited:

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
Happy Seagull said:
Also how many people were at the Withdean on Sept 11th? Pretty much a sell out if i remember.

Your point is?

spidey

Jun 17, 2004
B Hill
I think most people are sympathetic to the plight of those affected by the earthquake & aftermath, but to suggest people should feel guilty is probably unfair.
It would appear that, collectively, the people of this & many other countries are showing compassion & doing what they can by donating money - however, logistics rather than money is the major problem facing the aid agencies in the short term, ie: getting the aid to the people in need.
Did I hear on Southern fm that a young Albion fan was killed on the roads over the christmas period & was buried today.
I feel so sad for his family any all those affected in SE Asia but the world continues to turn & people have to live their lives.
Having said that it will be on my mind at midnight.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
spidey said:

Did I hear on Southern fm that a young Albion fan was killed on the roads over the christmas period & was buried today.

Yes that's why the players wore black armbands because he belonged to the Seagulls club.

spidey

Jun 17, 2004
B Hill
Thanks Yorkie - Haven't been on here for a while & didn't go to the Gillingham game.
Good that the club recognised such a tragic incident.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here