Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

anyone feeling a bit guilty about celebrating tonight

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I do not feel in the mood at all to "celebrate" the new year, especially with the Asian Crisis so close in our minds

anyone else feel the same?

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Will not be going out. I am staying in with a bottle of wine and NSC.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
mee too

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
Absolutely. But you still have to remember and celebrate the good in the world - I've been moved by the scale of cash donations I've seen. Nigh on every shop I was in today had a rapidly filling bucket. If nothing else, I'll be celebrating the goodwill of people in times like these.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
One should always be drunk. That's the great thing; the only question. Not to feel the horrible burden of Time weighing on your shoulders and bowing you to the earth, you should be drunk without respite.

Drunk with what? With wine, with poetry, or with virtue, as you please. But get drunk.

And if sometimes you should happen to awake, on the stairs of a palace, on the green grass of a ditch, in the dreary solitude of your own room, and find that your drunkenness is ebbing or has vanished, ask the wind and the wave, ask star, bird, or clock, ask everything that flies, everything that moans, everything that speaks, ask them the time; and the wind, the wave, the star, the bird and the clock will all reply: "It is Time to get drunk! If you are not to be the martyred slaves of Time, be perpetually drunk! With wine, with poetry, or with virtue, as you please."

Gullet

Feb 8, 2004
Bevendean
Agree with your sentiments but death and disaster are with us on a daily basis, we can't put our lives on hold every time something bad happens, otherwise you could say that it will be wrong to celebrate if we score tomorrow. Enjoy yourself while you can, no-one will think any less of you.
Don't mean to sound callous in any way.

If we didn't go out everytime something bad happened, we'd be prisoners in our own homes :(

I'll raise a glass in remembrance of the people who lost their lives. And in hope of a better future for those that survived.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I wasn't attempting to be overtly pious here, It just struck me seeing that poor chap hanging on to a palm tree whist people were surging past in the wave, that this was not some general run of the mill disaster.

Citrus

Seagulls over Toronto
Jul 11, 2003
Toronto
Happy Seagull said:
Also how many people were at the Withdean on Sept 11th? Pretty much a sell out if i remember.

I was, however people did not know anything about the scale of the attacks then. It was still an 'accident' then. If people had known that it was a terrorist attack and that thousands had died, it may have been a different story.

I probably would have gone anyway though. What's the point in punishing yourself if you've done nothing wrong? Or am I missing the point?

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
I remember calling up the club that afternoon to see if the game was still on. Seems like a long time ago now.

Go out and have a drink tonight, and remember no matter how down / shitty we feel, our problems really are insignificant compared to those in SE Asia.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Citrus said:
What's the point in punishing yourself if you've done nothing wrong? Or am I missing the point?

No, you're not.

Why should anyone feel guilty about celebrating New Year's Eve? What a ridiculous notion.

Citrus

Seagulls over Toronto
Jul 11, 2003
Toronto
eastlondonseagull said:
Go out and have a drink tonight, and remember no matter how down / shitty we feel, our problems really are insignificant compared to those in SE Asia.

Well said.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I am staying in as this has ended as a very bad year for me, far worse than last year. The Asian tragedy makes it even worse as I can'tr feel sorry for myself safe in the knowledge that there are many so much worse off than me.

Citrus

Seagulls over Toronto
Jul 11, 2003
Toronto
4028594.jpg

Imagine that. :shootself :nono:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I'll be on here as usual.(Now everyone will go out)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here