Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone ever been to POLAND??

Dandyman

In London village.
Gdansk's pleasant enough, although there's not that much to do and it always seems to be bloody FREEZING there. Malbork's about an hour south by train, if whopping great castles are your thing, and Torun's further south, although I'm not sure it'd be worth a three-hour trip. Probably worth getting the local train along the coast to Sopot for a bit of bracing seasidiness.

Malbork castle is HUGH.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Go to Sopot its lovely. Just down the road from Gdansk. It has the longest pier in Europe dont believe the southend rubbish.

Hitler loved it apparently.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Go to Sopot its lovely. Just down the road from Gdansk. It has the longest pier in Europe dont believe the southend rubbish.

Hitler loved it apparently.

Hitler loved Southend? he should have got out more.

Every time I go past that sign "Southend-Twinned with the Polish resort of Sopot-" I read it as "Tosspot"

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
hitler loved to travel. one thing you cant accuse him of is being a stay at home.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Went to Poland for the first time ever 2 months ago and think it is a great place.

It has some real history with castles (the Nazi's didn't have time to destroy everything because they won so quickly, rather like in France!) and some very beautiful wooded countryside areas, it is an overall much more rural country than the UK. The people were absolutely fantastic to me. I actually assumed they would all speak pretty reasonable English (like the Dutch) but this is not the case. The Poles over here have to try to learn English to get by but they do not have to, so sometimes you may be speaking to someone who hasn't got a clue what you are saying, just make out you know Jerzy Dudek and you will get by. They love drinking vodka as well, so much more than beer. Lech and Tyskie are there local lagers and both were fine by me. If you like vodka you will be fine for a very cheap drink.

It is hotter and drier in the summer, and colder in the winter. It is colder in the winter because they don't get the benefit of the Gulf Stream as much as we do in the winter.

Their women are prettier than English women because as a whole they are much thinner. I put this down to different diets, more vegetables rather than sweet fatty crap that so many eat over here, me thinks.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I f***ing love Poland mate. Done Krakow 5 times now and Warsaw the once. I would like to go to Wroclow next.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Me and the new missus have decided to go away for a 3 day short city break type thing.

I wanted to go to Bruges....she wanted to go to Paris.So in the end i said ok YOU can choose....but im not going to Paris coz i hate the French.

Anyway right.......shes booked 3 days in f***ing Poland!!!!!!!!!!!:lolol::lolol:

A place called Gdansk to be specific.Now i reakon Poland must be a shit hole because there are so many polish people moving into england?

So i wondered if anyone had been there???

Had a fabulous long weekend in Krakow, a couple of years ago, for my birthday (in November). Stayed in an apartment near the Jewish quarter, where there were much cheaper bars and restaurants than in the main square - 50p for a shot of vodka - and loads of culture. It's a lovely city, walkable, but with good tram connections and trains out to Auschwitz and beyond. Went and visited a Soviet-style housing estate on the outskirts of Krakow, too, which was an eye opener. Thoroughly recommend it.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Had a fabulous long weekend in Krakow, a couple of years ago, for my birthday (in November). Stayed in an apartment near the Jewish quarter, where there were much cheaper bars and restaurants than in the main square - 50p for a shot of vodka - and loads of culture. It's a lovely city, walkable, but with good tram connections and trains out to Auschwitz and beyond. Went and visited a Soviet-style housing estate on the outskirts of Krakow, too, which was an eye opener. Thoroughly recommend it.

When I was travelling around Europe i stayed in one of those places as it was only about a fiver a night or something. It was proper crazy.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I lived in Poland for six years and loved every minute of it.

All the advice on here is good. The region around Gdsansk is called Tri City becuase all three places = Gdansk, Sopot and Gdynia are worth visiting. Malbork is about 45 minutes away and should not be missed. For nightlife and food Gdansk is super. At the end of the day the jewel inthe crown in Poland is Krakow but Tri City is not far behind... although Gdynia and Sopot may be a bit quiet at this time of year.

chobby

Aug 23, 2004
Lancing!! Sompting actually!
Off to Krakow for New Year. Our first time to Poland and really looking forward to it as the reports all said it would be good and this has been confirmed by NSC so it must be right :thumbsup:. Auschwitz is on the list of things to do.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Poland is brilliant.

Going back there this year.

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
I taught English in Gdansk for a year a while back and bloody LOVED it. Strong beer, friendly people - it'll be jolly nippy when you're there, maybe you'll see the Baltic freeze over on the shoreline?. I can recommend getting from the main train station in Gdansk to Sopot and Gydinia, about 30mins, for the day - lovely places, a bit more upmarket, by the sea, plenty of cafes and bars and restaurants.

You'll have a blast whatever you do.

Lucky beggar. :thumbsup:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
We're thinking of a trip to Poland in April. Apparently Krakow is one of the best cities to visit (according to tripadvisor.com) and of course Auschwitz is close by if you're into history

I spent a weekend in Karakow and Zakopane at the end of August as a friend was getting married to a Polish girl. Karakow seemed really nice, kind of similar in a way to a lot of the normal Eastern European destinations, but smaller.

Poland in general had a similar feel to Austria and Slovakia for me. Nice place, helpful people, road system improving but a bit run down here and there.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Oh yes and the woman looked very lovely, not that I noticed as Mrs Giraffe and the little Giraffes were with me.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here