Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone ever been to POLAND??

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Me and the new missus have decided to go away for a 3 day short city break type thing.

I wanted to go to Bruges....she wanted to go to Paris.So in the end i said ok YOU can choose....but im not going to Paris coz i hate the French.

Anyway right.......shes booked 3 days in f***ing Poland!!!!!!!!!!!:lolol::lolol:

A place called Gdansk to be specific.Now i reakon Poland must be a shit hole because there are so many polish people moving into england?

So i wondered if anyone had been there???

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Dandymans your man, I think he actually lives there and comes back here for games.

I went there under communism in the 80s, and I suspect it's changed substantially.

"A place called Gdansk to be specific...", I suspect you get your history book out because it's an important place in their recent history.

No, Poland isn't a horrible place. There are beautiful bits of the country and rough bits just like any country.

Is England a shit hole ? is that why "everyone" in England moves to Spain ?

As for a city break, I'd suggest Istanbul - it's brilliant.

Last edited:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Gdansk is on the Baltic, it was formerly the German port of Danzig, it is in part of Poland that was carved off Germany at the end of WWII. The few people I know who have been to Poland came back singing its praises, think you might be in for a more enjoyable time than you are expecting...regardless of what your good lady might have planned for you.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I was only there for a short while:

Disadvantages:
Its cold, much of it is ugly

Advantage
Its also very cheap, and some cities have nice architechture - although I doubt Gdansk has much left...

Also, I wouldn't suggest you wear any England gear there (not sure if you would ever, of course, but)... encountered a few trogs that didn't like the English in Poland.

Poland has lots of ugly. But there are also some extremely attractive bits. And they appreciate their history.

gdansk.jpg

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
We're thinking of a trip to Poland in April. Apparently Krakow is one of the best cities to visit (according to tripadvisor.com) and of course Auschwitz is close by if you're into history

Been to both, don't miss either, especially Auschwitz, I guarentee you will remember the experience for the rest of your life.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Good point. I was there in winter and its coming close to now, though.

I was in Warsaw in Christmas 89 and remember two things.

Nicolae Ceauşescu the Romanian president was executed on Christmas day and while you had Noel Edmonds we had pictures of him with a bullet in his head on state tv.

Secondly I absolutely froze my bollocks off, I've never experienced cold like that.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
We're thinking of a trip to Poland in April. Apparently Krakow is one of the best cities to visit (according to tripadvisor.com) and of course Auschwitz is close by if you're into history

I was in Krakow two weeks ago. It IS lovely, but the sound of too many crass English blokes on stag parties did start to grate after a while. If you're there it's worth visiting the salt mine in Wielicka as well.

I also went to Zakopane, which is like Blackpool with mountains. But the scenery down there (the High Tatra mountains) was gorgeous.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Been 3 times. Lovely country. Wroclaw is Krakow without the tourists. Highly recommend either. (Not been to Gdansk).

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
My last visit to Wroclaw, SIX of us flew direct from Bournemouth for a TOTAL of £12!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'd recommend you take your sunglasses too, so your missus can't see where you're looking. Poland is chock full of beautiful girls.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Poland is chock full of beautiful girls.

Not nearly as many as in neighbouring Slovakia.

:love:

(Source: An in-depth study made two and three weeks ago in both countries - from behind sunglasses, naturally...)

Edit: ...although to be honest there were so many lovely ladies in Slovakia, even Mrs Trufflehound was commenting on the fact...

Last edited:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Going on the 20th Oct as it goes..only to inspect a factory in Warsaw so doubt I wil be that entertained.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Gdansk's pleasant enough, although there's not that much to do and it always seems to be bloody FREEZING there. Malbork's about an hour south by train, if whopping great castles are your thing, and Torun's further south, although I'm not sure it'd be worth a three-hour trip. Probably worth getting the local train along the coast to Sopot for a bit of bracing seasidiness.

Dandyman

In London village.
Me and the new missus have decided to go away for a 3 day short city break type thing.

I wanted to go to Bruges....she wanted to go to Paris.So in the end i said ok YOU can choose....but im not going to Paris coz i hate the French.

Anyway right.......shes booked 3 days in f***ing Poland!!!!!!!!!!!:lolol::lolol:

A place called Gdansk to be specific.Now i reakon Poland must be a shit hole because there are so many polish people moving into england?

So i wondered if anyone had been there???

The old town in Gdansk is great - a proper Hanseatic port city with plently of bars and places to eat. The modern town can be grim in places but you don't need to go there.

Prices tend to be low by our standards and beer and food are actually pretty good. if you want a day trip then Sopot is just along the coast and is very much the "in place" in terms of chic seaside resorts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here