Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone ever been to INDIA?

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Get to go to India about once every three months, Delhi and Mumbai mostly, but have been to conferences in Goa and Kajurahao I think its a great place, totally crazy, and one of extremes, complete oppulence (e.g. Imperial Hotel Delhi) to possibly the worst poverty I have ever seen. Its not for the faint hearted.

Not been to Bangalore though.

Usually Fly BA to Delhi (£450 ish), but Virgin fly there and Mumbai as well.
:)

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
Bangalore used to be the centre of British administration and traditionally all the military types retire there. Until recently it was relatively quite and the traffic is still almost sane. Now the home of IT and call centres it has a very high proportion of yuppies. It has the Indian Institure of Science and the Hindustan Aircraft Company. The slogan on the government building reads "Government work is Gods work." It has the highest rates of asthma and hay fever in India but a generally pleasant climate. Worth visiting Delhi or Bombay while you are at it as they are very, very different.

E

enigma

DÃnN¥ §ëÃGuLL© said:
Now you've done it Algie, hell hath no fury like the NSC PC and correct spellings brigade. Naughty naughty.

I don't actually CARE, I just find it funny that the BNP boy's command of the English language is worse than a lot of the immigrants he slates.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Yes, been there a few times, mostly Rajasthan, Goa, Varanasi, Mumbai and Delhi. I will be there for 2 months from the end of October.

Fantastic place. I went twice about 20 odd years ago when I was working in the Gulf, to Delhi and numbai (Bombay in those days). I would go back like a shot but have never had the opportunity.

Fantastic people, very friendly.

You'll find the food is different to the Indian food you would get in an indian restaurant in UK though.

And if you go, be prepared for an attack of the Sehli Belly. Most Europeans get it, although no ice in drinks, no fresh fruit and cleaing your teeth with bottled water will help.

But a great place, you'll enjoy it. And it's vast!

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
Yes, that's right. Because India's just full of Muslims.

:thud:

Actually it is. A lot remained after partition. It is the only country where I have understood what culture shock means. Fascinating place.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
Rather astoundingly, my younger brother is moving to Bangalore.

I rather fancy going out to see him in the new year. Anyone ever been there... and what did you pay for your flights?

(Would also like to do some train rides if poss)

Careful what 'seats' you book on the train!

IndianTrain2.jpg

5 past Kuipers

Is that the time?
Feb 22, 2006
Tunbridge Wells
My company have an office in Bangalore and I went there for three weeks in 2001. I had a fantastic time.

When you visit, take the road trip to Mysore. It's pretty hairy, but the palace in Mysore is an unforgettable sight (pic attached) and worth the white knuckle travelling.

Attachments

• 20051020010221_051022.jpg
    20051020010221_051022.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 102

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I went in 1989 and had a fantastic time - though most of it was spent in the Himalayas.

A week in Delhi was fantastic at the end of the trip. The traffic there is unbelievable, though we only had 1 head-on crash (in a bicycle rickshaw - we were going the wrong way up a one way street!).

All the people we met everywhere were very happy and friendly.

I'd love to go back one day.

As others have said, the country seems to define the term "culture shock" for me. Some pretty horrific sights alongside the opulence of the 5 star living of the rich.

The country is huge, though, and different areas may be very different to the North that I saw.

I only suffered once from Ghandi's revenge, but it was bloody awful. It's a shame to miss out on the whole experience by avoiding certain food and drink, though. We bought loads from stalls in the streets and most of it was fantastic.

Good "shit" too!!!

Oh, and flights seem to be much the same price as when I went. We paid £470 with BA back then.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Lived / worked in Chennai for 3 months a while back and loved it, esp the food!!!

Bangalore was a regular weekend trip as it has proper bars (as opposed to Chennai where if you want a beer you either go to a 5 star hotel bar or try your luck at an illegal offy / street bar that might sell you Marco Polo that sends you blind). Can't remember the names now but there is a hilarous 'space ship' themed bar in the centre of town that's the most unintentionally camp pub in the world for straight people. The bar next door to the Taj hotel where we stayed does the best spicy chicken I ever tasted.

Chennai is 5 hours away by train. Another hour South on the East Coast Road is Fisherman's Cove, one of the prettiest hotels in the world with a beautiful private beach and a curry buffet called The Seagull (yes really). An hour on from there and well worth a look is Marhabellpuram (sp?) which has some stunning temples, a phallic lighthouse, a million people selling statues of Ganesh and lots of Westerners who went to India to find themselves (maaannn).

Flights - check out Lufthansa to Chennai via Frankfurt and then see if Jet do Chennai - Banglaore. It was a long time ago but that was by far the best I found on an airline I trusted :thumbsup:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Not been, but my brother has spent the last couple of months working there. Here is an extract from the e-mail I got from him last week

"Just got to Kathmandu today after a slow but scenic drive from Chitwan.

Chitwan was this section of the trip's equivalent of Dahab as we got to spend 5 nights there and chill out after the hassle and stress and noise and filth of India."

To be fair I think he liked it to start with so maybe it's best in small doses.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
The Merry Prankster said:
Actually it is. A lot remained after partition. It is the only country where I have understood what culture shock means. Fascinating place.

He didn't want to hear that:salute:

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Been to Goa. Calangute Beach, Bodmalo Beach, Vasco De Gama.
Got food poisoning in Calangute. I've never had so much shit & spew come from my body in my life!

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
smudge said:
Been to Goa. Calangute Beach, Bodmalo Beach, Vasco De Gama.
Got food poisoning in Calangute. I've never had so much shit & spew come from my body in my life!

Same here.Had a dodgy prawn vindlaoo once from Crawley.I was violently ill for four days.Kept trying to reach on an empty stomac.That hurts:down:

I went for a couple of months in 1998 and it was AMAZING.

Was based in a small town called Nadiad in Gujurat and travelled down the west coast as far as Goa, and up to Agra, Dehli, Jaipur.

Wanted to wear the stripes to the Taj Mahal but the girlfriend wouldn't let me. :( :jester:

Oh yeah, and I had my most spectacular ever follow-through over there. Thought I could get away with a little fart, but oh no. :nono: :nono: :dunce:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here