Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone ever been part of a Live Studio Audience before ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I was part of the audience for Clive James On Television once. It was an ITV programme, but curiously it was shot at the BBC studios in Wood Lane (guess they must "hire out" their studio's sometimes). A 45 minute show took three and a half hours to shoot. Clive was on top form, and his banter with the audience in between takes was hilarious - I've always loved his dry sense of humour. Only thing was, when he was reading something and fluffed his lines, he'd have to go through it all again till it was perfect, and we'd STILL have to laugh just as loud even though we'd already heard it (sometimes several times), which was a bit weird.

The legendary Spike Milligan (RIP) was his guest, and most of his stuff had to be cut cos he was so foul-mouthed, but he had us genuinely rolling around, brilliant.

Its fascinating seeing how they put a TV show together though. Anyone else gone to see something being recorded ?

I went to see the Des O'Connor show in about 1995 when Bob Monkhouse, Dominic Holland and Jimmy Nail were on there, and TFI Friday in 1997 when they had The Charlatans, Cast, The Brand New Heavies and David Bailey amongst others.

Both were very interesting although for Des they had loads of breaks and on TFI they kept shunting us round to the different stages where the bands performed and we kept being shouted at by the producer to be quiet because there were doing the show upstairs.

Seen Albion a couple of times when they've been on Sky, but that doesn't really count, does it?

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
see? I was IN 2 shows!

chain letters in newcastle (tyne tees, for ITV)
-a great day (and night!) out, met ted robins the host,
and various ladies in town... nice kebab too!
got a runner up prize of a cd player.

the other was called 100%, for C5 i think - multiple choice,
no audience. rather bizarre setup - in/out in around an hour!

have also been to watch HIGNFY. very funny- they had to cut a lot
out of what was shown... just too rude... also Beleive Nothing, with Rik Mayall, and Emily Bruni (she's a fox!)- one long stage,
with various sets. RM was fluffing his lines (on purpose?), and it dragged on after various retakes, but good to see. ted robins was warmup man there too, flirting with the (female!) floor manager...

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
despratefan3 said:

the other was called 100%, for C5 i think - multiple choice,
no audience. rather bizarre setup - in/out in around an hour!

great programme ,used to be quite good at it as well , got 96% one day !

Strike

Sussex Border Front
Mar 12, 2004
Three Bridges, Crawley
I have been in the audience for the Tennis FInal at Eastbourne in 2003 when they had that bomb scare. When we were on the streets outside Devonshire Park, I saw Sue Barker do one of her presentations on the reason why the final was delayed.

My other appearance I am going to be shot for by fellow NScers is my appearance on the Politics Show in 2003 about votes for 16 year olds I was 17 and I said the vote should remain at 18 upwards and I still do believe it.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
I haven't been to a televised live show recently but used to go a lot, since you could apply for free tickets. Never quite got the hang of the "Laugh" and "Clap" boards though!:shootself

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
I've only been to recordings of things on the wireless. The News Quiz and Quote Unquote being two and very entertaining stuff it was even though it all took about three times longer to record than to broadcast.

My lad went to a recording of Never Mind the Buzzcocks last year and found himself "unexpectedly" in the Green Room afterwards - I dunno who he learnt his blagging skills from, mind! He rated Phil Jupitus as an all-round excellent bloke both on the show and to have a beer with afterwards.

Last edited:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Question Time a few years back when Peter Sissons(?) used to do it...my lasting memory is that he wore bright red socks:cool:

Also was in the audience in Stockholm at some really cheesy "Rock 'n' Roll" show. The band were alright but it went on for too long-about three hours for a 45 minute show. Thankfully there were loads of gorgeous young ladies dancing on stage for most of the show which took the edge off of the crap singer.

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Ex-Shoreham
not really a studio audience but was in the crowd at the islington academy when they filmed the carling kings of rock n roll gigs a couple of months back.

was up the front so managed to pick me out a couple of times on the box.

my only other tv appearance, very unstudio was on cnn for baseball highlights when there was a ruck at the skydome, (home of the mighty bluejays for the uneducated among us) and i was sitting right behind the bench as they showed everyone rushing out of it!!

marvellous scenes as they say :clap:

I was once involved in one of the Noel Edmunds' House Party "NTV" stunts (bursting into an unsuspecting viewer's sitting room). Hours of hanging around beforehand, consuming vast quantities of free grub bought by the BBC from Harrods, no less.

Since the whole thing was done with hidden miniature cameras with no-one on the production side visible to the victim, I was quite impressed to discover that the only "live" communication between the studio and the outside broadcast was a single hand-held Sony TV that was tuned into BBC1.

Edmunds directed the action for real, with hand signals, from his sofa in Crinkly Bottom.

South Stand Zealot

Jul 8, 2003
Haywards Heath
I was in Jersey in 1973 when Channel TV had a hypnotist on showing what he could do.

He had no influence on me at all but one of my friends was absolutely zombied by this man.

Does hypnotism work ? Well I've been telling every one since I'm Napoleon Bonarparte but no one will take me seriously.

Aidez-moi !

:smokin:

Saw three of the Father Teds made, including the final one, when he dropped dead the day after :(

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Rolf Harris Show atht he Brighton Centre in 1980 (knees up mother brown), Question time and Wogan in 89 - a Varndean VI form media studies group away day (pissed)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here