Chandlers Ford
Big stars looking to bail out:

Drogba - Italy
Adebayor - Italy
Hleb - Spain
Ronaldo - Spain
lampard - Italy (poss)
Alonso - Italy

Firstly, precisely TWO of those six are actually leaving for sure.

Secondly, are you really suggesting that whoever leaves won't be replaced with more expensive 'exciting' foreign imports. In fact, of the 5 foreign players you list only really Alexander Hleb was a big name BEFORE coming to the Premiership, and all would leave with their reputation enhanced.

If, for example, as rumoured, Drogba, Adebayor, Hleb, Ronaldo and Alonso leave, and are replaced in the Prem by Ronaldinho, Jo, Benzema, Modric and Huntelaar then I would venture that those coming in were much BIGGER stars than those leaving had been when they arrived.

So, in short, No.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Whilst it is GREAT that Stoke etc are in the Prem as its a big "two fingers" up to the "bigger" clubs, I cant wait for Sky HYPE machine to try and GLAMORISE that fixture or say West Brom v Fulham or Boro v Wigan or Bolton v Hull. Big f***ing deal. I do hope that ALL three promoted clubs stay up to REALLY piss of SKY. Its gonna be a hard sell once the novelty has worn off.

Scratch the surface and you will find (outside of say 7 or 8 "glamour" clubs the rest is actually average.
You know, it really isn't Sky's fault that football can't fairly distribute the vast sums of money that it pays.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
What should they have done instead?

Well if FIFA grew a spine when it started to get out of hand the would have followed the lead set by the NFL.

Set a worldwide salary cap and maximum transfer fee.

ALL tele money for all games in all competitions should go into one pot and be distributed evenly between all 92 clubs, This may save a few more from going down the Luton Bournemouth route.

FIFA have the ability to do this but will never grow the spine for it

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
I've always said I wouldn't mind if the big clubs formed their own 'super' league in Europe - would stabilise the money and the competitive aspects of football in this country and I wouldn't have to read about self-obsessed egos like Ronaldo angling for a move away/an improved contract to a trillion pounds a week, from some club we nearly beat in the FA Cup Final.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Well if FIFA grew a spine when it started to get out of hand the would have followed the lead set by the NFL.

ALL tele money for all games in all competitions should go into one pot and be distributed evenly between all 92 clubs, This may save a few more from going down the Luton Bournemouth route.

I agree with every word of that, but your original post blamed Man U, that's why I asked what they should have done.

No club in that position would refuse the money, nor would the Albion if we ever got to those heights.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Firstly, precisely TWO of those six are actually leaving for sure.

Secondly, are you really suggesting that whoever leaves won't be replaced with more expensive 'exciting' foreign imports. In fact, of the 5 foreign players you list only really Alexander Hleb was a big name BEFORE coming to the Premiership, and all would leave with their reputation enhanced.

If, for example, as rumoured, Drogba, Adebayor, Hleb, Ronaldo and Alonso leave, and are replaced in the Prem by Ronaldinho, Jo, Benzema, Modric and Huntelaar then I would venture that those coming in were much BIGGER stars than those leaving had been when they arrived.

So, in short, No.

Imploding as we speak..

BBC SPORT | Football | My Club | Tottenham Hotspur | Tottenham agree Dos Santos deal

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008

From what I gather steward, you own your own business. Should any profit you make be put in a big pot and be spread around to stop other businesses going to the wall? How about a salary cap as well. Hell lets just go to Communism and pay dust bin men the same as brain surgeons.

Football is a sport yes but it is also a business. Look how frustrated we are at Withdean watching pretty dire football-if we had a life long millionaire albion fan that left 50 million to the club in his/her will, would you complain if that allowed us to buy better players and make our way up the leagues?

Also Blackburn started it when they won the first Premiership title by spendng Jack Walkers millions.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

But the NFL doesn't have promotion and relegation, meaning it is a closed shop to all but its member teams. And if it did, you certainly would't have the sort of measures the NFL has that are designed to promote relative parity.

And how can FIFA set a world wide salary cap? The cost of labour in the Congo isn't quite the same as it is here.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
From what I gather steward, you own your own business. Should any profit you make be put in a big pot and be spread around to stop other businesses going to the wall? How about a salary cap as well. Hell lets just go to Communism and pay dust bin men the same as brain surgeons.

no i do not own my own business, We do have a salary cap within our company depending which level the employee is at

Football is a sport yes but it is also a business. Look how frustrated we are at Withdean watching pretty dire football-if we had a life long millionaire albion fan that left 50 million to the club in his/her will, would you complain if that allowed us to buy better players and make our way up the leagues?

Better players yes. What about an Albion player who turned down a move that would have seen him nearly double his wages BUT he wanted to stay here!! Shows to some money isn't everything

Also Blackburn started it when they won the first Premiership title by spendng Jack Walkers millions.

Manure started the money train after the Munich disaster

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
But the NFL doesn't have promotion and relegation, meaning it is a closed shop to all but its member teams. And if it did, you certainly would't have the sort of measures the NFL has that are designed to promote relative parity.

And how can FIFA set a world wide salary cap? The cost of labour in the Congo isn't quite the same as it is here.

And an intelligent person like you can't figure this out :rolleyes:

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I travel on the train to work with Arsenal and Spurs season ticket holders and it is interesting how increasingly detached and disinterested they are in their teams.
At the weekend I seem to be able to summon up much more enthusiasm for a trip to Luton than they do for their Premiership fixtures and most were looking forward to a break away from football this summer. An endless parade of overpaid overseas journeymen, unusual kick-off times, Sky TV hype and overrated and arrogant home grown stars seems to be taking its toll.

che

Nov 24, 2007
Do you think that we will go back to the situation, that we had before all the money arrived, where quite average teams were promoted to the top division and lasted more than a couple of seasons?

Please yes.I hope so.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here