Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Anyone else playing Wordle?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Wembley Wordle Elimination Competition

Simster was eliminated yesterday.for failure to post.
@DavidinSouthampton currently in the elimination spot, but plenty of players yet to post
I’m willing to sacrifice myself that others may continue to enjoy the competition.
that’s the kind of guy I am!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Wordle 679 4/6

🟨⬜🟩⬜⬜
⬜🟨🟩⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟩🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

went for it second go, rather than playing it safe .
didn’t work out but there’s nothing wrong with the size of my balls.
Not sure how you can 'go for it' or 'play it safe' when all you can do is suggest a word. If it isn't a word, it will be rejected. If it is the correct word, game over.

Or are you referring to some sort of nefarious tactic of using already-rejected letters to smoke out other correct letters?

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Not sure how you can 'go for it' or 'play it safe' when all you can do is suggest a word. If it isn't a word, it will be rejected. If it is the correct word, game over.

Or are you referring to some sort of nefarious tactic of using already-rejected letters to smoke out other correct letters?
Crucially … is hard mode on?!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I just checked my setup and hard mode is not on, but I never deviate from the modality of hardness. I will flick it over to super hard bastard mode for tomorrow.

Nobody likes a cheat.

:lolol:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Birdie

Current Streak: 11

Max Streak: 463

Average: 3.67

Wordle 679 3/6

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨
β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Looking at the posts, most people are still on easy mode. I think easy mode is only better if you have a xxaβ€ŠAxE type pattern where you have so many possibilities that a fail is definitely on the cards in hard mode. In easy mode you can sacrifice a go or two to work out the missing letters

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Looking at the posts, most people are still on easy mode. I think easy mode is only better if you have a xxaβ€ŠAxE type pattern where you have so many possibilities that a fail is definitely on the cards in hard mode. In easy mode you can sacrifice a go or two to work out the missing letters
If only....if only....if only I understood what you mean.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

Hughton wordle - using entirely different letters in second go (writing off getting word second go, but increasing chances of third). Effectively playing it safe and taking the point.

De Zerbi wordle - attacking the second go if you get maybe a green and a green/yellow, accepting that if it doesn’t come off you’ve wasted a couple of letter opportunities.

Horses for courses of course, but I now favour Hughton approach more often than I used to.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
The problem with sacrificing a go or two though is that you're very unlikely to complete Wordle in 3 - which is always my aim when I start!

We have a small group that shares results. It's obvious that one of the group uses 'easy' mode as you can see that they are not always using 'correct' letters next go. Using 'easy' mode is like having all the VAR decisions go your way 😜

I've always used 'hard' mode for Wordle ... but also play Quordle where I use three starting words - using all the vowels + S + Y. Sometimes though, after two goes, I am tempted to go for one of the words rather than play my third starting word ... and then regret it ... like today 😩

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
The problem with sacrificing a go or two though is that you're very unlikely to complete Wordle in 3 - which is always my aim when I start!

We have a small group that shares results. It's obvious that one of the group uses 'easy' mode as you can see that they are not always using 'correct' letters next go. Using 'easy' mode is like having all the VAR decisions go your way 😜

I've always used 'hard' mode for Wordle ... but also play Quordle where I use three starting words - using all the vowels + S + Y. Sometimes though, after two goes, I am tempted to go for one of the words rather than play my third starting word ... and then regret it ... like today 😩
Hughton wordle - using entirely different letters in second go (writing off getting word second go, but increasing chances of third). Effectively playing it safe and taking the point.

De Zerbi wordle - attacking the second go if you get maybe a green and a green/yellow, accepting that if it doesn’t come off you’ve wasted a couple of letter opportunities.

Horses for courses of course, but I now favour Hughton approach more often than I used to.
@heavysoul - I agree which is why I use hard mode - it is the risk/reward de Zerbi option. Although very few who play on easy mode actually do so in order to gain an advantage, and use the strategy of trying out different words.
To be honest, I need an extra hard mode to stop Yellows being re-used in the same column. The amount of times I have done that by playing too quickly and cursed myself for effectively wasting a go afterwards...

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Sorry - not at work today, so late logging on!

Anyway, I wasn't worth waiting for.... Over keen on the fifth row and didn't read my letters right.

Wordle 679 6/6

⬜🟩🟨⬜⬜
⬜🟩⬜🟩⬜
🟨🟩⬜🟩⬜
🟨🟩🟨🟩⬜
🟩🟨🟨🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
I think @Papak and @DavidinSouthampton in particular would disagree that your result wasn't worth waiting for.

Hard luck @Bodian , I am afraid that sees you eliminated from the competition.

20 players remaining.

Name28/0429/04
Badger Boy54
Bakero34
Bedsex43
Bodian46
BrightonCottager43
Cotton Socks44
DavidinSouthampton55
Dinner with Gotsmanov33
DJ Nobo44
Frutos53
Harry Wilson's tackle63
JJ McClure44
One Teddy Maybank43
Ooh it's a corner54
Papak55
SeagullsoverLondon43
Simsterxx
Surrey Jim33
The Brighton Bear43
The Oldman33
Thunder Bolt44
Titanic44

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Boo. BOO! :wink:

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
I play in 'easy mode' as, when there's one of those multiple option answers, I prefer the challenge of thinking of useful sacrificial words rather than just guessing, which always feels a bit sh!t.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Correct. But on easy mode all the decisions are about whether the other team has scored or not.

See, I did work it out eventually. I play the game correctly, but my luck is poor. And the more I practice, the worse my luck. A sort or inverted Gary Player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here