Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Anyone else playing Wordle?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Maybe I'm being greedy, but I'd hope for 2/3 yellow/greens at least occasionally from that word, and I'm often getting nothing or occasionally one yellow. Seeing people here getting 2/3 yellows/greens on their first try sometimes! 12 goes and I've not come close to that.

STARE is a good one for me. I've been going with TRAIN of late. You could go with RATES instead, because S is more likely to appear at the end of a word but, then again, WORDLE have probably cottoned on to the regular appearance of the letter S at the end of five letter words, and set their algorithm accordingly to disappoint.
I haven't trawled through the c500 posts on this thread, but I suspect that there have been lively discussions about which first word to go with.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
Maybe I'm being greedy, but I'd hope for 2/3 yellow/greens at least occasionally from that word, and I'm often getting nothing or occasionally one yellow. Seeing people here getting 2/3 yellows/greens on their first try sometimes! 12 goes and I've not come close to that.

The trick is to know which letters appear most frequently In English words. Someone has scanned through the concise Oxford dictionary and determined that the least frequently used letter in English is ‘Q’ and the top 8 most frequently used letters in words in the English language are:

E – 57
A – 43
R – 39
I – 38
O – 37
T – 35
N – 34
S – 29

The number shown next to each letter is just how many times more frequently than the letter ‘Q’ that letter is found in words. As you can see, ‘E’ is most used by a margin.

So, ideally you’d want EARIO to be a word. Failing that, ratio is good but misses the ‘E’, so stare/rates make really good starters.

If it piques your interest, I stumbled across a site recently about cyphers, and the simplest (rot13 etc.) are easy to solve using just this knowledge.

https://www.boxentriq.com/code-breaking (scroll down the page a bit to the classic cyphers section)

Apologies if I’ve bored you, but hope the above is helpful when it comes to selecting starter words.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
STARE is a good one for me. I've been going with TRAIN of late. You could go with RATES instead, because S is more likely to appear at the end of a word but, then again, WORDLE have probably cottoned on to the regular appearance of the letter S at the end of five letter words, and set their algorithm accordingly to disappoint.
I haven't trawled through the c500 posts on this thread, but I suspect that there have been lively discussions about which first word to go with.

I don’t really have a system other than to usually try to pick a word with 3 vowels to kick off - if none of them appear then one or both of the others probably will.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland

According to interviews with the developer, a set of 2500 words has already been preloaded (less common five-letter words were removed from the list).

Don’t think there’s an algorithm messing with the order.

Last edited:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
The trick is to know which letters appear most frequently In English words. Someone has scanned through the concise Oxford dictionary and determined that the least frequently used letter in English is ‘Q’ and the top 8 most frequently used letters in words in the English language are:

E – 57
A – 43
R – 39
I – 38
O – 37
T – 35
N – 34
S – 29

The number shown next to each letter is just how many times more frequently than the letter ‘Q’ that letter is found in words. As you can see, ‘E’ is most used by a margin.

So, ideally you’d want EARIO to be a word. Failing that, ratio is good but misses the ‘E’, so stare/rates make really good starters.

If it piques your interest, I stumbled across a site recently about cyphers, and the simplest (rot13 etc.) are easy to solve using just this knowledge.

https://www.boxentriq.com/code-breaking (scroll down the page a bit to the classic cyphers section)

Apologies if I’ve bored you, but hope the above is helpful when it comes to selecting starter words.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting isn't it. Without any scientific study (other than knowing E is the most commonly used word) I have been using ARISE or RAISE quite often - top four and S. Amazing what the mind absorbs and deduces without actually thinking about it.

Now you need to do a study into the most common letters - and what order they fall. So - are there more five letter words beginning with A or R? and so on.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Got there but annoying!!

wordle.png

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
YWWWW
GYWWW
GWYWW
GWGGG
GGGGG

Hmmm...

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
Wordle 202 5/6

⬜��⬜⬜��
����⬜��⬜
⬜⬜����⬜
��⬜����⬜
����������
Five, a tricky one for me

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Got there in the end! FFS.Screenshot_20220107-055611_Gmail.jpg

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
So do you always start with the same word?

I seem to have a few that give me a decent start. I try to use something like STEAM so I have a couple of Vowels. I also like to have an S so i know if it is something plural.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Wordle 202 4/6

[emoji834][emoji834][emoji834][emoji834][emoji834]
[emoji834][emoji834][emoji834][emoji834][emoji834]
[emoji834][emoji834][emoji834]🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

4, but the first time I have drawn blanks on the first two goes

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here