Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

anyone been to valencia?

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Just got back and had a great time. The City is HUGE but most of the historic center is close enough together to wander around. What makes Valencia really stand out is that in the 1960's the council diverted the river before it enters the city and this has resulted in massive open space running straigh through the city. The new land still has it's bridges running over it and the old river bed is filled with parks, gardens, fountains, sports pitches and lots of tourist attractions. Well worth a long walk. The new buildings in the science park are amazing also. The Beaches are good and are about 15 mintues bus ride from the city centre. Quite expensive though and the food was not great.

The Large One said:
It's also the original home of paella. :)
... and, therefore, pilau rice (which takes its name from paella).

As for Valencia ... I've never been, but know that it is highly recommended by (amongst others) the Lewes Bonfire Boys who go in the spring for Las Fallas

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I tried to persuade Mrs Hut to go there for her 40th but sadly she chose Rome.

Still hoping to get there at some point.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
the zoo is in the dried up river, fantastic place. and its true, the paela there is fantastic. as is a sweet shop right by the station, my god she was good. the beaches are superb for a kick about as well, and not forgetting the mestalla. if you get to go the ground, look out for a little bar opposite the club shop - its owned by the spannish fan who is always on tv with his drum, and he gives away free hats and lighters to any british tourists. does a bloody cheap:drink: as well

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Lord Bracknell said:
... and, therefore, pilau rice (which takes its name from paella).

An interesting theory LB, but sadly not true.

Pilau is the old Turkish word for rice.
Paella comes from "patella" - the Latin word for the pan in which paella is cooked.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
y2dave said:
What makes Valencia really stand out is that in the 1960's the council diverted the river before it enters the city and this has resulted in massive open space running straigh through the city.

Didn't know that. Bizarre town planning if you ask me though. I'd have said that having running water flowing through the middle of a city would add to its appeal, not hinder it.

y2dave said:
....and the food was not great.

:ohmy:

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
cheap flights to alicante?where/they are still aound the 100 pound mark

Scotty M said:
the zoo is in the dried up river, fantastic place. and its true, the paela there is fantastic. as is a sweet shop right by the station, my god she was good. the beaches are superb for a kick about as well, and not forgetting the mestalla. if you get to go the ground, look out for a little bar opposite the club shop - its owned by the spannish fan who is always on tv with his drum, and he gives away free hats and lighters to any british tourists. does a bloody cheap:drink: as well

"my good she was good?"

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I've been there during Las Fallas - it's mental. Little kids letting off rockets everywhere. Best to take a flak jacket :)

But the burning of all the papier mache statues all over town is ace. Every street corner has one more or less, and there's a giant bonfire in the centre of town.

They also let off firecrackers during the day which make all the buildings shake.

It's a pretty nice place to be, even if you're not there for the festival.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I never realised you were a man of culture, trueblue

Now i know this i will feel a little guilty when I come sliding though 15 minutes after the ball tomorrow night

Last edited:

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
trueblue said:
I've been there during Las Fallas - it's mental. Little kids letting off rockets everywhere. Best to take a flak jacket :)

But the burning of all the papier mache statues all over town is ace. Every street corner has one more or less, and there's a giant bonfire in the centre of town.

They also let off firecrackers during the day which make all the buildings shake.

It's a pretty nice place to be, even if you're not there for the festival.

what he said ..its amazing....

as for flights ..BA Gatwick to Valencia..just book early to get a good price

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
we went early in the year.

It is very Spanish! ( not much english spoke, which is brilliant!!!!!)

Best area for restaurants is near the Cathederal, also get the tourist bus from there.

the tram to the beach is very cheap and runs on time.

We stayed in the Vinci Hotel and bought our package through OPODO.

One world of warning:

DONT TAKE THE TRAIN TO THE AIRPORT!!!!!! IT STOPS ABOUT A MILE AWAY AND YOU HAVE TO CROSS TWO MOTORWAYS ON FOOT DRAGGING CASES TO GET THERE.

Have fun

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
WATFORD zero said:
I never realised you were a man of culture, trueblue

Now i know this i will feel a little guilty when I come sliding though 15 minutes after the ball tomorrow night

Only 15 minutes?

:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here