Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone been to Krakow in Poland?

Jul 20, 2003
a mate of mine got married over there last month, a few people I know went and they rated it very, very highly

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Tips:

Walk around the old Jewish quarter that survived the war.
Go to the main square on the our and watch for the trumpeteer.

Krakow is a wicked place, lots to be discovered and I seem to remember that a fair few NSC'ers have been.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
yeah, went october before last with fatboy (bmf)

krakow is a fantastic place.

you must go to auswitz while you're there.
do it yourself, not a trip.
you can get a minibus from the railway station to take you.
its about an hour.

also, visit the salt mines.
incredible how they've carved it all.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
moggy said:
yeah, went october before last with fatboy (bmf)

krakow is a fantastic place.

you must go to auswitz while you're there.
do it yourself, not a trip.
you can get a minibus from the railway station to take you.
its about an hour.

also, visit the salt mines.
incredible how they've carved it all.

Auschwitz is a def, but was amazed at the tour prices, £100 or so! Think the train is only a couple of quid, so should be ok.

Am really excited!

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
think on the minibus its around £10.
a shit load less than the tour prices.

also, in the jewish quarter is a section of wall that still remains today with plaques over it which is the last remaining part of the krakow ghetto wall.
not far from there (5 mins walk) is the factory that was used in schindler's list.

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
A message from Ana the Polish Girl sitting next to me

"Krakow is a lovely city.It's previous polish capital.It has got beautiful castle-called Wawel,a lot of buildings to visit.Krakow University is the second best in poland so there is a plenty of students who give this city special atmosphere.There is a lot of pubs-they have very interested design.about 30 km from Krakow there is unique salt mine.-underground. It's very interesting.Besides from krakow it is very close to polish gorgeous mountains.

http://www.krakow.pl/en/ "

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Went on the train – dead simple and cheap. Avoid the overpriced tours. At Auschwitz, take the time to walk up the road to Birkenau. About 20 minutes from what I recall.

Whilst Auschwitz is heaving with coach parties and information displays etc, Birkenau is vast, untouched and much more evocative and affecting, in my mind. It has the railway lines that you picture, the huts as they were, they rubble where the gas chambers were and so on. When we went, there werre only a handful of other people walking around.

That was 8 years ago mind, so things might have changed by now...

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
bhafc99 said:
Birkenau is vast, untouched and much more evocative and affecting, in my mind. It has the railway lines that you picture, the huts as they were, they rubble where the gas chambers were and so on. When we went, there werre only a handful of other people walking around.

Is this the image you were talking about.

birkenauenterance4ie.jpg

This one brings it home about how bad it really was.

auschwitzfurnacesign5qc.jpg

On a lighter note Tim, some places to visit etc are
the Bull Pub, Lovely place and the Vodka and measures are great.
Wavel castle is real nice.
The Salt Mines which is good and there is a good Market there. Get the minibus from the train station to the mines ( about 20p when we were there ) and to Aushwitz. not the most comfortable but do the job and saves you a fortune on organized trips. In the mines they do tours in English so you do not have to worry about missing out.
Krakow square is really cool with loads of market style stools in the main building selling lots of Amber, weapons, crystal and wild boar rugs with heads still attached. At the West end of the square there is a little tower and that has a really nice eatery underneath it with their meat in dumplings being a favourite of mine along with Boar sausages.
give me a shout if you need any more info bud and enjoy it mate. I know I did.

Squiggsy

Oct 26, 2003
Worthing
Krakow is fabulous, went there with a bunch of people including DTG earlier in year.

V cheap, as you would imagine. If you've been to Prague or Budapest then you'll know what to expect from the architecture and the v friendly locals.

Auschwitz / Birkenau was a must. We got our hotel to sort out a minibus there & back, and a guide - sure it didn't cost us more than about £20 a head for that.

Temp display at Krakow airport was reading -15c when we came home, that was February mind you.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
The house of torture scared the crap out of Moggy's son so that may be worth a visit as well:lolol:

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
eastlondonseagull said:
And scared the cr@p out of Moggy too I bet :p

No mate, he was getting strangely aroused:lolol:

Have a wicked time and a good birthday matey:thumbsup:

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
eastlondonseagull said:
Am off there tomorrow for a few days' birthday break!! Yey!! Has anyone been there and got any tips / great vodka dens?!

Cheers! :drink:

as for vodka dens, think fatboy has already told you about THE BULL PUB in square.
probably best pub around the square.
be careful of the voddy though!!!
you can see here what it did to fatboy :lolol:

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Re: Re: Anyone been to Krakow in Poland?

moggy said:
as for vodka dens, think fatboy has already told you about THE BULL PUB in square.
probably best pub around the square.
be careful of the voddy though!!!
you can see here what it did to fatboy :lolol:

:lolol:

I'll take that photo along and see if they remember him!

Thanks for all the tips chaps, much obliged! Can't wait to get away, need a few days away and to spend some quality time with the missus.

Should be back in time for the Palarse engineering works. Joy.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
there are some great bars underneath the main square or at least there used to be in 99 when i went. i loved the place. i also went to auschwitz i think personally that is also a must. but if you are slightly faint hearted or just want a real good laugh then obviously its not the place to go. there was actually 1.8 million people massacred there alone the place has such a strange feeling to it.you even get to walk through the gas chambers etc. :nono:

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
I'm going to Krakaw next summer to a friend's wedding so the Vodka will be flowing BIGTIME.............:drink: :drink: :drink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here