Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone been to India?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
goldstone said:
I doubt you've really "been" to the USA. There is just so much of it to see and so much that's great.
The west, the northwest, the rockies, new england, key west, arizona .... I could go on ....
Plus they speak a version of English we can usually understand .... well, kinda!

Whilst the USA is a fantastic place, you seem a bit narrow minded on the destination front goldstone. Not everyone wants the sanitised and 'safe' holiday experience, where people speak English and the nearest McDeath or Union Jack pub is a stones throw away!

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
eastlondonseagull said:
Have booked the honeymoon flights, just now :clap2:

We're off to southern India for just over three weeks in the middle / end of September. Flying into Trivandrum, the capital of Kerala, then working our way north along the coast to Mumbai, and flying home from there.

Has anyone any top tips, places to stay or visit along the way? We'll be in Kerala, Karnataka and Goa before ending up in Mumbai (Maharashtra).

Thanks in advance chaps! Can't bloody wait!

Damn brilliant! You'll have a cracking time!

Would say tho that the order of your trip is the opposite to what some people would do it i.e. start at Mumbai, then go thru a decompression process from Goa to Kerala.

But I found the people in Goa (stayed at Colva in the southish) to be some of the sweetest and friendliest people I've ever met. And was really hard pushed to spend more than a fiver a day - and that was REALLY pushing the boat out. Whether it's hiring a taxi and the driver stays with you all day sleeping in his cab til you decide to go home, or getting a made-to-measure suit run up for about thruppence or eating the brst ever curries, seafood and giant bottles of Kingfisher (top tip: don't get a big bottle each, get one between two, so it stays cold) you'll have a superb time!

And if you get malaria or the runs or your arm falls off in the night, the Indians have an unbeatable cure-all: Live Yoghurt. Fact.

Oh, yes, and beware of the 'feni' the palm-tree sap bacardi-like spirit. It sends you blind and/or mad, so they say. Tho is a tasty treat with coke & ice. :drink:

Last edited:

Ringer

Nov 26, 2005
Brighton
goldstone said:
I've been to Bombay. Exactly what I expected ... a filthy, polluted, crowded, stinking slum full of beggars and cripples. I never ever want to set foot in the effing country again.

Well I dread to think what they thought of you pal.

Why the hell go to India when there are civilised places to go such as the USA, Canada, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand ...

For 'civilised' read 'normal day to day' by the looks of it.

Wow, you must have had an amazing time going to all those English-speaking, westernised-cultured countries?!

Ringer

Nov 26, 2005
Brighton
goldstone said:
I've been to Bombay. Exactly what I expected ... a filthy, polluted, crowded, stinking slum full of beggars and cripples. I never ever want to set foot in the effing country again.

And why did you bother going if that was what you expected?

Last edited:

Jul 12, 2003
Oxfordshire
Was up that coastline in 1992...

Cochin is one of my fav places on this earth... try and butter up the local boat owners into taking you on a tour of the harbour/inlets etc., and don't miss out on the fresh fish caught in the Chinese fishing nets - superb.

When you are coming in to land at Trivandrum 'airport' (air strip would be better...), you might well be sh!tting yourself thinking you're about to end up in the sea, as the runway is that close to the edge of the land!

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Re: Re: Anyone been to India?

Tom Hark said:
Damn brilliant! You'll have a cracking time!

Would say tho that the order of your trip is the opposite to what some people would do it i.e. start at Mumbai, then go thru a decompression process from Goa to Kerala.

But I found the people in Goa (stayed at Colva in the southish) to be some of the sweetest and friendliest people I've ever met. And was really hard pushed to spend more than a fiver a day - and that was REALLY pushing the boat out. Whether it's hiring a taxi and the driver stays with you all day sleeping in his cab til you decide to go home, or getting a made-to-measure suit run up for about thruppence or eating the brst ever curries, seafood and giant bottles of Kingfisher (top tip: don't get a big bottle each, get one between two, so it stays cold) you'll have a superb time!

And if you get malaria or the runs or your arm falls off in the night, the Indians have an unbeatable cure-all: Live Yoghurt. Fact.

Oh, yes, and beware of the 'feni' the palm-tree sap bacardi-like spirit. It sends you blind and/or mad, so they say. Tho is a tasty treat with coke & ice. :drink:

Why 'decompression process' mate? You mean it's less of a culture shock?

Am so excited!

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Selly Oak Seagull said:
Was up that coastline in 1992...

Cochin is one of my fav places on this earth... try and butter up the local boat owners into taking you on a tour of the harbour/inlets etc., and don't miss out on the fresh fish caught in the Chinese fishing nets - superb.

When you are coming in to land at Trivandrum 'airport' (air strip would be better...), you might well be sh!tting yourself thinking you're about to end up in the sea, as the runway is that close to the edge of the land!

Am looking forward to Cochin, plus the coastal railway is ace on all accounts.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
goldstone said:

Why the hell go to India when there are civilised places to go such as the USA, Canada, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand ...

Just what i thought.It's all those flies that put me off

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Anyone been to India?

eastlondonseagull said:
Why 'decompression process' mate? You mean it's less of a culture shock?

Just meant that because of the crowds and hustle of Bombay, a lot of folk like to start their trip there and then go and chill on the beaches and in the countryside of Goa and the even more chilled Kerala.

Tho on the other hand, going to Bombay last will prepare you for going back to the joys of the London rush-hour.

Either way, you'll love it. Fact. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

You'll never experience culture shock like exiting Mumbai airport for the first time. Brilliant! But as others have said, expect unbelievable poverty and pollution. For a great experience, hit Juhu beach and try the Sev Puri's from one of the little food stalls. I went on my own, and as it was the time of the Ganesh festival, there were 100's of 1000's of mad Indian's dunking themslves and their idols in the sea. Amazing.
But do be prepared to be hassled mercilessly by street kids and cripples...

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Brixton Seagull 2 said:
You'll never experience culture shock like exiting Mumbai airport for the first time. Brilliant! But as others have said, expect unbelievable poverty and pollution. For a great experience, hit Juhu beach and try the Sev Puri's from one of the little food stalls. I went on my own, and as it was the time of the Ganesh festival, there were 100's of 1000's of mad Indian's dunking themslves and their idols in the sea. Amazing.
But do be prepared to be hassled mercilessly by street kids and cripples...

I'm intrigued as to how India's gonna compare with China, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and Malawi, cos I've spent a month or so in each of those, and had incredible experiences in all. You can't beat back-packing!

Malawi was my first trip to a third world country, and boy was that a culture shock!

The plan is to stay in reasonable luxury in Kerala for the first few nights and try to do it on a budget from then on. Better take the mozzie repellant and the immodium :)

Thanks for all the advice, everyone :thumbsup:

goldstone said:

:thud:

I went to India in 98 and it was AMAZING. Flew into Mumbai before travelling up and being based in a little Gujurati town called Nadiad (near Ahmedabad).

During the two months we were there, we travelled down the west coast as far as Goa and then back up to the 'Golden Triangle' - Dehli, Agra and Jaipur - as well as Udaipur where they've got the hotel in the middle of a LAKE (featured in a Bond film I believe).

Oh yeah, in Goa we found a 'Seagulls' bar. :clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here