Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone been to India?

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Have booked the honeymoon flights, just now :clap2:

We're off to southern India for just over three weeks in the middle / end of September. Flying into Trivandrum, the capital of Kerala, then working our way north along the coast to Mumbai, and flying home from there.

Has anyone any top tips, places to stay or visit along the way? We'll be in Kerala, Karnataka and Goa before ending up in Mumbai (Maharashtra).

Thanks in advance chaps! Can't bloody wait!

Last edited:

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
My trip to India in '79 won't help you much.

Flew to Delhi, bussed it into the Himalayas and went climbing.

A week in Delhi at the end before flying home.

I'd recommend a visit to Delhi to anyone, but it's nowhere near where you're going! :shootself

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Perry Milkins said:
St Thomas Mount and Cochin are good but I know precious little else. I only responded as I was born in Madras ( Mumbai)

Isn't Madras Chennai now, whereas Mumbai was (and, to most of the Goans I spoke to, still is) Bombay? Sorry to be pedantic.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I spoke to a man from India today, he called me on my new mobile phone, he advised me that my Mobile contract was about to end and would I like to discuss a new contract. Trouble is, I only got my new phone and contract two weeks ago.

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
I have been to India quite a few times. Along your route I have been to Bombay and near Panji. The latter was excellent (5* hotel with private beach) the former is interesting, but not really my cup of tea. Gateway to India is full of beggars and a night-time rickshaw ride between the domestic and international airports is good fun. The hills around Bombay have hill stations (from the Empire) and these are worth a look. Go to an Ashram if you can and there are some very hot spring baths that you can visit. Also, try the sugar can drink.

Have a read of John Irving's Son of the Circus as it will make the Catholic influence, particularly in Goa, more relevant as well as informing you about the prostitution scene and Hirajas, Bollywood and much more. Juhu beach is where all the Bollywood beach stars hang out and the area can be interesting at night along with the "string of Pearls".

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I've been to Bombay. Exactly what I expected ... a filthy, polluted, crowded, stinking slum full of beggars and cripples. I never ever want to set foot in the effing country again.

Why the hell go to India when there are civilised places to go such as the USA, Canada, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand ...

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Went to Goa, got food poisoning. My arse was like a half cut blood orange!

Lovely place though!

:drink:

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
goldstone said:
I've been to Bombay. Exactly what I expected ... a filthy, polluted, crowded, stinking slum full of beggars and cripples. I never ever want to set foot in the effing country again.

Why the hell go to India when there are civilised places to go such as the USA, Canada, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand ...

Cos we've both always wanted to go and have been to most of the others :)

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Went last year. Just accept that even with bottled water you will get ill. Good experience apart from that.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
I work with a lot of Indians and even they have advised me that its not the best place to go. I still would love to go but can't convince the Mrs:(

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
eastlondonseagull said:
Cos we've both always wanted to go and have been to most of the others :)

I doubt you've really "been" to the USA. There is just so much of it to see and so much that's great.
The west, the northwest, the rockies, new england, key west, arizona .... I could go on ....
Plus they speak a version of English we can usually understand .... well, kinda!

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
eastlondonseagull said:
Have booked the honeymoon flights, just now :clap2:

We're off to southern India for just over three weeks in the middle / end of September. Flying into Trivandrum, the capital of Kerala, then working our way north along the coast to Mumbai, and flying home from there.

Has anyone any top tips, places to stay or visit along the way? We'll be in Kerala, Karnataka and Goa before ending up in Mumbai (Maharashtra).

Thanks in advance chaps! Can't bloody wait!

Ask one of your ushers...... ;)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here