Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone been to Highbury before?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Three times

83 FA Cup Semi Final,
80? League v Arsenal (we lost)

.. and mid nineties to see Arsenal v Sheffield Wednesday ? Ian Wright played, and someone made their debut - Viera ?

My uncle has been a season ticket holder there for years.

Incredigull

In Cervesio Felicitas
Nov 28, 2003
Mile Oak
Icy Gull said:
f***ing ace...well it was when i went to watch a team from Sussex win a match that put them in a Cup Final :clap2: :clap2:

I remember that one too !!!:lolol: :clap2: :clap2:
Should we case the joint again ??

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Only when the original clock end was there, seem to remember a memorable game against Sheffield Wednesday there once upon a time...........

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
Highbury was ok when the North Bank and Clock End were terraces, good atmosphere whwen we used to go there regularly! '83 semi was the best of the lot, only time I saw us win there. I went to see the Arse play QPR a few years back and sat in the North Bank. Very dissapointing atmosphere for a local derby. QPR won 2-1 that day which may have been why the locals were a bit sudued!

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Only been the once!

Seem to remember we won!

Cue Brian Moore..." Err Case, great driver of the ball............" We were PACKED in that end!!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Best to go to Highbury in the Cup when it is sunny. Where are they going to play the semi-finals this year?

It would be the last possibility of Highbury.

Royle complained about the Hillsborough pitch today and Ipswich won 1-0.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Mellor 3 Ward 4 said:
Only been the once!

Seem to remember we won!

Cue Brian Moore..." Err Case, great driver of the ball............" We were PACKED in that end!!

Just down the Albion end side on the right there was quite a lot of room. Nice ground, comfortable, but without the uncomfortable atmosphere of White Hart Lane.

Albion have just won twice at Highbury in first class matches..

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Just before Wednesday equalised, they got a dodgy free kick. You can here on the commentary very clearly "rubbish referee...". Was a bloke who came up with us from Burwash.

Anyway - that Case free kick. Best free kick I've ever seen live. Swerved one way and next in the air..

robbied69

Sep 20, 2005
North London
Not known as the 'Highbury Library' for nothing. :clap:

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
seagullion said:
only been once, semi final 1983.....it was quite good then;)

What he said ;)

Trish

Jul 5, 2003
I went to Highbury for our 4th round cup replay against Rotherham in 1960. The match had to be played at a neutral ground - no penalty shoot outs in the old days! There was plenty of atmosphere with a crowd of over 32,000 - most of them standing - and The Albion beat Rotherham 6-0.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Was there yestrday for a meeting in the building overlooking the old and new stadiums, never been to the football there though

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
Been quite a few times and yes for a crowd of nearly 40000 it was a crap atmosphere. Best nights though are the Champions League nights. Saw them play Dinamo Kiev last year and we spent most of the game watching the women in the away section! :love:

Bono

Jul 18, 2003
Buckinghamshire
Dougal said:
are those semi final goals available , ive never seen them but would love to

Was just thinking that.

Was a 13 year old in the Lower West Stand. Is the cup run of 83 on any video format? Newcastle replay, Manchester City, Norwich and the semi were all televised as I remember.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Bono said:
Was just thinking that.

Was a 13 year old in the Lower West Stand. Is the cup run of 83 on any video format? Newcastle replay, Manchester City, Norwich and the semi were all televised as I remember.

go to the albionarchives.com shop, TGC is selling it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here