Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone been to Egypt ?

Man of Harveys said:
O

And to expect them to be in the middle of the desert in splendid isolation for tourism's benefit, rather than being part of the urban sprawl of modern Cairo is a bit romanticised - it's a bit like being disappointed that not all Indian people ride around on elephants and do rope tricks or that Chinese people don't have pigtails and talk like Charlie Chan.

Are you intent on destroying ALL my illusions?!

Yes, absolutely agree they are something you should see and certainly something to marvel at when you stop and think about the construction. It's just that they didn't live up to my anticipation (not unlike the Albion at times!) but that may well have been because the expectations were unrealistic (again like the Albion).

But the Taj Mahal, that's a different matter. Lived up to more than my expectations! But maybe I thought that was fantastic because I had subconsciously lowered my expectations having seen the Pyramids!

This is getting far too complicated, time for a siesta I think!

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
If you get chance to do one thing in Egypt other than Valley of the Kings which you are obviously very keen on, do a falluca (sp?) trip from luxor to Aswan, single sailed boat, you get a captain and a cook for 2 or 3 days who usually double up as entertainers at night with a bit of drumming/singing, and sail up the Nile. Stars are amazing that close to the equator. 5 of us did it, quality

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That sounds exquisite maffew...sheer honeymoon perfection. I'm frothing at the gash.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I've never been. But i think Indiana Jones has. And he gets to fight Nazi's, secret society people, devil people and all sorts. And he found the lost arc of the covenent. And the Holy Grail, which even eluded King Arthur. And his old man's Sean Connery.* So Egypt must be cool. I reccomend it 100%.

*Disclaimer: Sean Connery may not become your father if you honeymoon in Egypt. You may not get to fight anyone other than street vendors. You may not find either the lost arc or the holy grail.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
I have, my father is there right now and a lot of my family live in Alex.

My family own a holiday village/complex on the Red Sea at Sharm El Skeikh - awesome beaches/diving. And several apartments that overlook the pyramids for the lights etc at night.

I'm biased but I'd say go go go . I love Egypt, we go over three or four times a year.

scarby

Feb 16, 2004
wellingborough
Man of Harveys said:
I was in Sharm for two weeks in November just gone. It was brilliant: cheap, sunny with amazing scuba diving with fantastic instructors. Shark Bay was where we learnt. It's very easy and cheap to get flights to Cairo and Luxor with Egypt Air from Sharm but be sure to book them directly with the airline as the small travel agents around the place just herd you into silly day trips, which is a hopelessly inadequate amount of time for either place.

I'm a cynical, embittered and frankly fairly unpleasant old git. But I've never seen anything as strikingly awe-inspiring as the pyramids - the only remaining one of the seven wonders of the world in not to be sneezed at. We only meant to go for an hour or two but ended up spending the whole day there just taking them in. Amazing doesn't do them justice.

agree with the harveys,

i went there in october with the girlfriend, had a fantastic time, didn't see a single cloud all week, so the weathers guarenteed.
so many things to do, trips etc, we flew to cairo for the day for the pyramids, awesome!, apart from directly opposite the sphinx is a kfc & pizza hut! ???
would definately recommend the scuba diving / snorkeling and the bedhoin sunset dinner.
you ride into the dessert on a camel to a bedhoin camp have dinner, whilst watching the sunset,(how romantic!) then they get the telescopes out and explain the stars and solar system as they see it. you can even have a picture of the moons surface taken through the telescope with you digi-cam!

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
Agree with the bit about the pyramids that are surronded by pest strying to sell you things and saying, "ASDA price and Lovely jubbly." They are all con artists there. Don't go on a camel ride. They pretend to be lost and demand more money to get you back. Yes it is an experience but not the romantic one you want.
My kids have been all over but never want to go back to Egypt. And one further thing the Sphinx is just so much smaller than you think.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
caz99 said:
sharm el sheikh is supposed to be very nice, however they did bomb the hilton there last year.
No they didn't. It was the Hilton at Taba, nowhere near Sharm.

Sharm is a great place Easy. Naama Bay (few minutes drive) even has a Hard Rock Cafe.
Try the Conrad at Sharm. Not been there yet, but will be there from the 25 Aug for 2 weeks ???

Check through here

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
mrhairy said:
Don't go on a camel ride. They pretend to be lost and demand more money to get you back.
Damn, they've got some crafty camels over there then.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
The Egyptians are normally very polite and will do just about anything for you (except the vaseline). You can't go far wrong with Sharm. Great weather in August. Sea temp of about 27-29C (even when 18m below the surface). Great diving/snorkelling. You may even get to see a whale shark at that time of year.

Go for it.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I went last year and did a week on the Nile followed by a couple of days in Cairo. It was well worth the outlay as a one off trip - fascinating sites, and our Hotel in Cairo actually overlooked the Pyramids. I was worried I'd get ill like many who have been to Egypt before - but touch wood nothing ! Just avoided uncooked foods and made sure I had bottled water.

Well recommended as a holiday resort - but one warning...you will need to be patient, as the constant stream of hawkers trying to flog you anything and everything does get under your skin after a while. You can't go anywhere without being besiged.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Yes Easy

Been to Egypt 16 times so far. It is one of my favourite countries to visit, it has everything. Some of the most fantastic historical sights on Earth ( Pyramids, Abu Simbel, Karnak etc) also it's very cheap if you have a family and travel independently. People are very friendly, weather is always great. And another reason to go is Captain Shazli, a felucca Captain in Aswan and a great philosopher. In my opinion Hurghada is best avoided. Sharm is very nice, but its not the real Egypt.

Easy, dont be tight. Get your cheque book out and book 2 weeks in the Old Winter Palace in Luxor or The Old Cataract in Aswan .

You know it makes sense

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
maffew said:
If you get chance to do one thing in Egypt other than Valley of the Kings which you are obviously very keen on, do a falluca (sp?) trip from luxor to Aswan, single sailed boat, you get a captain and a cook for 2 or 3 days who usually double up as entertainers at night with a bit of drumming/singing, and sail up the Nile. Stars are amazing that close to the equator. 5 of us did it, quality

Maffew is spot on . A felucca trip up the nile ( Aswan-Luxor) or ( Aswan- Edfu) is not to be missed its much better than the sterile 5 star cruise boats.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
How about a trip to Southern Ireland instead? Beautiful scenery, friendly locals, a proper pint of the black stuff, some cracking golf courses ......... and y'never know, it may be the pre-season tour! ;)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here