Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone been to Cuba?

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Looking to book a couple of weeks in Cuba in the near future and wondered if anyone had any reccomendations.

Ideally, I want a beach resort, not too far from Havana, as I'm not going all that way without spending a fair bit of time in the capital.

All suggestions, not just for resorts, but places in Havana or Cuba greatfully received!

Thanks

Koaste

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Cuba is fantastic.

Havana is a marvellous city and must be visited.

However, all the touristy holiday resorts are on the north coast of Veradero which isn't just down the road from the big city. However, it's not hard to get there from the city with regular coach journeys to and from.

Resorts like Sandals and Beaches offer all inclusive deals and have all manner of activities to be getting on with in the blazing sun.

Personally I'd recommend you book at least a couple of nights in a Havana hotel as well however

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Yo!

I went a few years ago. I would highly reccomend not staying in a beach resort, and staying in local houses. You can do day trips to beaches from Habana.

The residential houses can be very nice and they make great homecooked food for you. The one I stayed in treated me like a long lost son.

Habana, is a fantastic city, and well worth exploring. The Capitolio building is great and very interesting.

I went to the, Casa de la Música Centro Habana, where all the famous cuban bands play. If you like Salsa etc. then that is fantastic.

There are lots of other great places on the island, but they are a fair distance so you would need to be flexible.

Cigar factories are interesting and Fundación Havana Club shop is good, if you want to buy Mojito glasses and that sort of thing.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Bluejuice said:
Personally I'd recommend you book at least a couple of nights in a Havana hotel as well however

Yeah, I was hoping to do just that. In the process of trying to get in touch with a few hip-hop crews from Havana to collaborate with while I'm out there.

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
I'm off to the Sandals place on Varadero in a few weeks. Price is good my only concern is it says all inclusive of "Local Premium Brand" drinks, does that mean I'll have to drink just Cuban beer/wine etc... ?

John Dorian

Glass Case of EMOTION
Hey I went this summer, Cuba is amazing. We were about an hours and a halfs drive from havana, in a place near guantanamo bay. Although we were so far away from havana, we flew there for a few days, on an excursion type thingee, which was quite cheap.

The beaches are amazing, and with the hotel we went to, it had its own beach, and if your looking for a relaxing holiday, get a beach resort. its so much more relaxed ahhhh....I wanna go !!!

Oh and swim with the dolphins trip is a must do and a once in a lifetime opportunity....that was amazing.... :clap2:

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
Cuban beer is delicious though.

They have two state owned brands Cristal and Buccaneero which are utterly delightful to sip in the sun.

You can buy iported beers like Heineken and the like in the shops but there realy is no need with such lovely local options available.

John Dorian

Glass Case of EMOTION
nevergoagain said:
I'm off to the Sandals place on Varadero in a few weeks. Price is good my only concern is it says all inclusive of "Local Premium Brand" drinks, does that mean I'll have to drink just Cuban beer/wine etc... ?

Yes, i think it is just the beer. but to be honest, they dont have your stellas or your carlsbergs over there, just your buccanero and cristal....they are a gorgeous beer to drink while ur lazing in the pool after swimming up to the pool bar. ahhhh....i wanna be there....

Last edited:

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
BarrelofFun said:
If you are never going to go again, then it is worth seeing some other cities/towns.

How long are you going for?

For two weeks. Got some more reccomendations for me?

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
To be honest you could spend two weeks in Havana easily.

As for recommendations, DON'T do club Tropicana. It is unrepresentative of the island's excellent nightlife. Instead work your way into some seedy looking backstreet salsa club and you're guaranteed a far better time.

Also, gear is cheap, but very much illegal, so be careful!

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
D'Angelo Saxon said:
For two weeks. Got some more reccomendations for me?

Well, I visited Vinales which is a fantastic place. Situated in a valley with amazing geographical features and there are also caves.

I stayed in a house of a cuban couple, friends of the ones I stayed with in Havana. They cooked all my food for me etc. You can sit on the Veranda and rock in their rocking chairs. Very close to a hotel type thing and you can use the pool during the day.

We hired mopeds and explored the area. Fantastic place.

Isla de Juventud was also very interesting. An island off the south coast. They have museums to visit - prisons of the revolutionaries etc.

If you did want to stay in Havana for a few days, and not a hotel, I have an address of a house there. Great couple. Always giving you coffee, and some fantastic food.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Whats the point of an education if your in prison for 20 years for your beleifs and being tortured.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Apart from literacy, what else has Castro done for Cuba???

Health!

THey have one of, if not the best health service in the world and you will find many visitors taking advantage of this. Canadians/Americans....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here