Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone beat £47.00 to change a front headlight bulb

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I have just been charged £47.00 to supply and fit a front headlamp bulb on a Megane.

:censored::censored::censored:

Should have gone to Specsavers. Actually there was an article about this on Fifth Gear a couple of years ago. Quite a few cars have these little idiosyncrasies, I had two Alfasuds that cost a small fortune to have their break pads changes, unlike most cars the the brakes were halfway up the axles rather than on the wheels.

The Megane is actually a pretty decent car IMHO.

Last edited:

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
A case of how many robbing bastards does it take to change a lightbulb...?

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
have you called the police?

Laughing Gravy

I'm a ****
Jan 8, 2010
In my bungalow
Tates at Carden Ave charged my wife £55 to change a front bulb. They said they had to remove parts of the car to do the job.
Next time it went I took it to Halfords Lewes Rd and it took the guy 5 mins and nothing removed.
He charged me a fiver.

I would never use a main dealer again.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Unregulated sector means buyer beware.

Attachments

• feminists.jpg
    feminists.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 26

southwickseagull

Mar 4, 2004
southwick
I have a Citroen C5. On my model the bulb alone costs about £80 and you do indeed need to drop the bumper to fit one. The only good thing is the bulb lasts for ages. 1 in two years so far.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
I have a Citroen C5. On my model the bulb alone costs about £80 and you do indeed need to drop the bumper to fit one. The only good thing is the bulb lasts for ages. 1 in two years so far.

If the bulb cost £80 that'll be a xenon or bi-xenon jobbie

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
It's one of the things that there ought to be legislation about. The ability to change a car bulbs easily is essential maintenance. The harder it is to do the more people will just drive around without bothering to change them for as long s they can get away with. I can just about change the ones on my astra but it normally costs me most of the skin on my knuckles as the gap is only just big enough to get my hand in. Bastard car manufacturers.

:wozza:

Legislation on the changing of light bulbs :wozza:

I actually see where [MENTION=215]JJ McClure[/MENTION] is coming from, and he makes a relevent point. Light bulbs should be easy to change, after all, you are commiting an offence if you drive at night without working lights.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Are Meganes particularly complex then? I say this because I've always changed the bulbs on my cars myself. And I am a WOMAN :ohmy:

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
just thought i would cheer you all up and let you know I have just paid £150 :eek::eek: for a bulb - yes that is the actual cost of the part with no mark up and the guy at my garage felt so sorry for me, he didnt charge me to fit it.

.....and i thought i was pissed off when i left vicarage road last night....but lets not go there...!

:shootself

Did it myself (renault megane) a couple of weeks ago. Bulb cost £9 (ish). You can access the headlamp compartment through the fron wheel arch. Turn your wheel inwards, feel in the wheel arch for a panel which can be easily removed. Once removed you can access the headlamp compartment by unscrewing the protective cap. Once unscrewed you can then access all bulbs. It's a little bit fiddly but it can be done. This was the first time I tried it and it took about 10 mins. Reckon I can get that down to 3-4 after practice. It saved me a lot of money!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Did it myself (renault megane) a couple of weeks ago. Bulb cost £9 (ish). You can access the headlamp compartment through the fron wheel arch. Turn your wheel inwards, feel in the wheel arch for a panel which can be easily removed. Once removed you can access the headlamp compartment by unscrewing the protective cap. Once unscrewed you can then access all bulbs. It's a little bit fiddly but it can be done. This was the first time I tried it and it took about 10 mins. Reckon I can get that down to 3-4 after practice. It saved me a lot of money!

I haven't got the car any more, but someone from Tates did exactly that and it took him of an hour and the bulb was crooked, so when the mot came around I have to have it changed. Renault recommend dropping the bumper as going behind the wheel arch is a hit and miss affair seemly

Better than £600 for a general service for my Beemer a few weeks ago.Bloody thieving Germans

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here