Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

anybody upped sticks and moved abroad?

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Was speaking to a mate about this today. He says that Canada is actively encouraging immigration to skilled people to boost the population. Is there any truth to this?

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
I work with a guy who just emigrated from the UK. Says he could not believe how easy it was to get approved to come over. We work in IT. He came over this summer. So perhaps it is true.

David

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Don't be taken in by all this positive talk about Canada.

I spent seven years in Toronto and even took Canadian citizenship. The downside:

1. The winter climate in Eastern Canada is effing lousy. Bitterly cold. I always said that Toronto shouldn't have been settled.

2. Most of Eastern Canada is pretty flat and not exactly attractive countryside.

3. Canada is a boring country.

4. Canadians are boring.

5. Canadians have a terrible inferiority complex as a result of having such a big and powerful neighbour close by.

6. The country is now overflowing with oriental types.

7. In the summer the place is inundated with black flies, mosquitoes and other unpleasant flying things.

If you HAVE to go to Canada, go to Vancouver, the most visually stunning city in the world.

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
Moved over here one month ago - and have no regrets so far, and I'm actually having the best time I've had in ages. It's certainly a challange, but a fantastically rewarding one. I'd say give it a go at least, I love home and I love England, but there's so much out there - and a lot of things are better (although many not a patch on the UK!) so make the leap!

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
goldstone said:

I spent seven years in Toronto and even took Canadian citizenship. The downside:

1. The winter climate in Eastern Canada is effing lousy. Bitterly cold. I always said that Toronto shouldn't have been settled.

2. Most of Eastern Canada is pretty flat and not exactly attractive countryside.

4. Canadians are boring.

5. Canadians have a terrible inferiority complex as a result of having such a big and powerful neighbour close by.

7. In the summer the place is inundated with black flies, mosquitoes and other unpleasant flying things.

If you HAVE to go to Canada, go to Vancouver, the most visually stunning city in the world.

Didn't like it then?:lol: How old were you when you went there?

Of course it isn't perfect-it is, however, somewhat closer to perfect than many other countries and it could be a lot worse-it could be full of Australians:eek: deadly spiders, deadly snakes and other things that kill you in urban areas. Nowt like that in Ontario.

Black flies in Toronto? I never saw one in all my years there. Mosquitos? Erm, there are mosquitos everywhere in the world-including the UK.

As for the winters-I miss them. Rather see -25 for the winter months-at least the sun shines most of the time, unlike the UK where we need to look at pictures of it to remind ourselves what it looks like.

I guess people either like or dislike places-clearly Central Southern Ontario didn't endear itself to you. Personally, I love the place.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I moved to Ireland with my wife and family about a year ago. My parents are from here and they retired back a little while ago but I was brought up in Sussex. It is a completely different way of life, much more relaxed, and because I was able to clear the mortgage and debts I am not under the stress I was to earn mega bucks anymore.

The people are mostly really friendly but I do get really pissed off sometimes with the anti english thing, especially through the media. Some people will not talk to me because I am english (I consider myslef english as that is where I was born and brought up and I have always supported Brighton and England), despite the fact I am of Irish descent and have immediate family still living there.

The biggest benefit though will be for my children IMO. The standard of education is better, they concentrate on the basics and there is flexibility in their scheduling. The teenagers on the streets are able to have decent conversations and are generally respectful with adults and not at all menacing and we haven't got to worry about drugs being sold at the school gates. I live in a rural area which is probably different to Dublin.

The things I hated about England was the traffic, the pace of life, the fact no one will pass the time of day with a stranger, lack of community spirit, keeping up with the Jones attitude, groups of arsehole teenagers hanging around on street corners who are more likely to spit at you than say hello, graffiti, scratches down the side of your car for the hell of it, anything that isn't bolted down gets removed from your front garden, shops that have forgotten what customer care is all about, crap expensive food in restaurants and probably a few more things that i can't think of. All of these have pretty much been removed from my life.

If ever I think what have I done (which is rare) I only have to think of the above.

It was an emotional roller coaster getting there but rewarding in the end for all of us and we wouldn't go back now.

mk_bha

Jul 14, 2003
i have thought about this a few times.

write down al the pros and cons about England and then about your chosen destination.

The English pub, and a sunny English summers day you will never ever replicate any where else in the world.

Chatting to some stranger whilst queuing - only here too.

Also, England has produced some of History's finest human beings and inventions and is always ahead of many countries (fashion/music/lanuage) - think about all these things b4 going.

Oz is a great place but has no identity at all and no history but a great quality of life.

I still may in the future as i am not paying 130k for a 1 bedroom flat - which is all England is offering me.

The best thing about living here is because the £ is strong you can travel well and see most of the world. If you up sticks and sink into another economy the £ will seem massive.

Last edited:

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Juan Albion said:
It can be difficult, but it sounds like you want to stay in Europe, then I guess you have the right to go live anywhere there these days. I had to fight through the visa application process, but at least when I got here the language wasn't too different. If you can get over the language barrier and you can earn a living by grafting in England then you can do it anywhere, I would think.

- and this is why all the Albanians, Serbs etc etc etc are coming to Britain. I know of an instance when the Home Office actually gave some forein imigrants a cheque for a brnad new car to get them to work and back!

BUT there is a minority of skilled people from abroad who bring with them an expertise that is of use.

Sorry that's my shout over with!!

:rolleyes:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I worked on a temporary basis in India and loved it so when my company asked me to travel to Asia Pacific for a year or so I had absolutely no hesitation. Spent 11 months in Sydney and have now been in Japan for 6 months and it's absolutely the best time I've had in my life. I've no regrets whatsoever and feel it has made me a better person.

I once thought I'd never leave Brighton, now I know the world's my oyster.

BUT..... firstly I already had a job my company just transferred. Secondly the missus finds it quite hard being in a country where she doesn't speak the language and this is very "challenging". Finally I really miss my mates, the Albion, and decent beer.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
nowt wrong with japanese beer mate!

i have lived abroad the last 3 years (japan and spain). my first year away i got a little homesick and when i came back after 14 months away, got well excited.....then i got back, and don't get me wrong it was great to go back, but, i realised home was still there. my mates are still there and by and large, everything is the same (give or take a kid or two). i still miss home occasionally ofcourse but really glad to be doing what i am doing, and look forward to returning to brighton one day, by which time i can go and see the albion in our own bloody stadium

go for it. you can always go back if it doesn't suit you:)

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
goldstone said:

4. Canadians are boring.

What a strange post.
1. Put a sweater on.
2. That's a ridiculous statement. See below.
3. It is as boring or exciting as you make it.
4. Ditto.
5. It's a natural rivalry thing, like Brits and the French, Albion and Palarse, Wales and England.
6. Funny, I didn't see one yesterday. And I probably won't today. But yes, we are a happily multicultural country. You have a problem with that?
7. Most people put on repellant if they find it a problem.

West of me:

25p9.jpg

East of me:

a7pic.jpg

North of me:

Algonquin2.jpg

South of me:

niagara.jpg

Where I am:

CKL3.jpg

And those are just places within a couple of hours of where I live. I quite like it, I'm sorry if you didn't. Perhaps you needed to get out more.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
alan partridge said:
nowt wrong with japanese beer mate!

Actually you may have a point. My avatar is actually the brewery in Ebisu. Far too subtle and in jokey I know.

Yebisu black is pretty good and Asahi, Kirin and Malts all have relatively decent lager but I do yearn for Harveys Old, Guinness Extra Cold (well stored, fresh poured) and Summer Lighting. Sad I know.

But Japan rocks.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Bwian said:
Didn't like it then?:lol: How old were you when you went there?

Black flies in Toronto? I never saw one in all my years there. Mosquitos? Erm, there are mosquitos everywhere in the world-including the UK.

Twenty six when I went there.

The black fly were in May up around the lakes.

Mossies mmuch worse than other places. Have never seen any in California for instance.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003

And those are just places within a couple of hours of where I live. I quite like it, I'm sorry if you didn't. Perhaps you needed to get out more. [/B]

Like most places it looks a lot better in photographs than reality.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
I've been in the states for 6 years now and, (people like bare not withstanding) I think it's great. I'm sorry to say that England feels like it's stuck in a rut with a good portion of the population still pinning for the good old days when britianna ruled the waves. Britain as a whole feels like it lacks any vision of it's future.
The best advice I ever got before I first came to the states was "don't equate whats different with whats inferior", in other words keep an open mind and don't keep harping on about how "that's not how we did things in England", nobody's going to care and you will be miserable with that kind of attitude.
As others have said here, think carefully about whether you want to move or not and make sure your spouse is on board, and once you make the move don't rush to judgement. There will be things you don't like about your new home and things you miss about the UK, but don't dwell on them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here