Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

anybody upped sticks and moved abroad?

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I have had it with work. My missus works from home and is therefore transferable. We are considering moving abroad to see what life holds overseas. Italy is top of the list. I'm just terrified of making the jump and losing a regular income. I'm not particularly talented at anything but would be willing to graft to keep some cash coming in.

Has anybody got any stories of how they did it. Or is it a nightmare?

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
It can be difficult, but it sounds like you want to stay in Europe, then I guess you have the right to go live anywhere there these days. I had to fight through the visa application process, but at least when I got here the language wasn't too different. If you can get over the language barrier and you can earn a living by grafting in England then you can do it anywhere, I would think.

I did, and I thoroughly recommend it!

I wanted to be within easy travel distance of UK so I can get back to see family and the Albion (not necessarily in that order!), and I wanted somewhere with some decent weather. So that meant Europe, and probably as far south as you can get. And I can get back to Brighton in half a day when I want to.

If you need to earn a living then it's not so easy to find a job, but if you're prepared to work for yourself then it's a lot easier. And access to the internet means more and more people are leaving the UK and working abroad.

It needs thinking about, you need to deide on the area you want to live in and spend some time there before you up sticks, but I did it last January.

Do I have any regrets - not one!!!!:cool:

Seagull's Return

Nov 7, 2003
Brighton
Have you thought of TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language)? There's a great deal of demand for native-English speakers in Italy, as in almost all countries now, and there are a lot of small/medium privately-owned language schools. Might be a way to get started living abroad, at least.

As a minimum, you'd need an RSA CELTA qualification - this will set you back quite a bit (I think it's about £800 for a 4-week course!) - but a degree isn't usually necessary (varies from place to place, though). CELTAs can be done in most large South Coast towns and cities, I should think there'll be courses starting in January. Generally, language schools recruit mostly for January and September, but there's a lot of variation in this, too.

Just a thought, anyway. In the past I've lived and worked in Europe for years on and off, doing any old labouring work, etc, I could find - but this gets much harder as you get older, employers are much more wary of casual employees in their late-20s and above. I went into TEFL as a way of getting round this, and it was very useful, although after 13 years I'm out of the business now.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Why europe, I have friends who have gone too New Zealand and Australia. Thats where you should go for.
Dirt cheap housing and speak the lingo...ideal.

It depends on your own character for a challenge, and readiness to put the bit between your teeth. As a couple, you'd have to sit down with your missus and agree that you shall stick together through thick and thin, as it could test the strength of your relationship at times, whether you think you have an indestructible bond or not.

If you decide not to try anything new, you may harbour regret and yearnings for ambitions unfulfilled. You can at least learn from the experience, and unlike many others, you can hold your head up and say you gave something exciting like this a go.

Nice Mr Confuseus says;
mountains always look bigger from the bottom

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I've moved 3 times although for totally different reasons than simply wanting to. From Sydney to New York then London ...I initially hated it - no friends - no common ground with anyone and couldn't work until I made friends and found contacts .... so catch 22...

NMH is spot on - the moving was a part of the reason for the eventual breakdown of my relationship at the time.. .. work out exactly why you want to move away - what you will and won't miss and especially who you will miss...work out what each of you is going to do and why!!

Tall and short of it - I don't regret it for a minute now - meeting new people, seeing the world - makes us all better people for it!!

do it! but be aware that if you can't do it 100% together, you won't be there at the end together...

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
This is the trouble,more and more good tax paying people are leaving and being replaced by people who are getting benefits from abroad.This is why we are getting taxed to death.I wonder what it might be like in 10 years time.I don't think i will be here either to find out.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Company transfer is the easy way. That is what took me to Canada in the early 70s and then on to the USA seven years later.

Then in 2002, having been back in the UK for 15 years I took a job in Qatar. Didn't know if I would like the place, but I thought "what the hell, if I don't like it I'll leave". I didn't like it ... no, hated the damn place ... but stuck it out for ten months before returning to Sussex by the sea.

So, the answer is .... it depends. Depends on a lot of things including you and where you're going and why.

Good luck if you decide to go.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Marshy said:
Why europe, I have friends who have gone too New Zealand and Australia. Thats where you should go for.
Dirt cheap housing and speak the lingo...ideal.

Let's add Canada to that list...they all speak English (well, most of 'em) and it's nearer. Plus...you can pick up somewhere to live for next to nothing!

scouts-canada-1-s2.jpg

:lolol: :lolol:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
On a serious note...I upped and moved to Canada. Never regretted a single second of my nearly 17 years there. In fact, I wanna go back and I'm 52 now so if I can consider it again you should (wherever you choose to go).

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Juan Albion said:
Best place on earth...

As I'll be reminding myself on Friday when the limo collects us from Lester B...:clap2: :clap2:

Stumpy Tim

As most people know, I upped & left the UK for Sydney 6-7 months ago. It is easily the best thing I have ever done. I have not had one moment of regret. I absolutely love it, and for a few reasons.

The UK was depressing me, and Sydney is sunny & there's loads to do. The main thing though is that moving to a new place forces you to do things to meet people - I am out almost every night doing something & it's great.

Don't fall for the myth that Sydney is cheap though. It's no cheaper than Brighton, but then you are in the middle of Australia's biggest city. All in all, I would recommend anyone to come over here. It's awesome

And I've just bought a Z4, so now I can have a convertible all year round :clap2:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Juan Albion said:
That's a shame - I shall be at Lester's place on Thursday to collect my missus. Which airline you coming in on, Bwian?

AirTransat....then off to Peterboro for almost three weeks of beer, food, beer, food, sales, beer and hopefully a Leafs game but not at scalper's prices!

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here