Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anybody ever hitched to an Albion game?

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
With finances tight and cost of travelling + entry etc spiralling almost out of control, has anyone ever hitched to a match? Am quite tempted to try it next season. Trouble is getting there on time. Or at all ???

Last edited:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Yes, to a game at the Goldstone from Storrington, didn't have a car or drive at the time, must have been just after I left school.

Bobby's Gull

DAFT Bint
Jul 6, 2003
Bed
Why don't you find a friend who supports the Albion has a car and won't mind taking you to Albion games?! Sorted :drink:

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Bobby's Gull said:
Why don't you find a friend who supports the Albion has a car and won't mind taking you to Albion games?! Sorted :drink:
True, just thought it might be kind of a challenge. In an imbecilic sort of way. Most of my Albion mates with cars live bloody miles away, that's the problem.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Back in 1971 I hitch-hiked to two away games- Port Vale and Mansfield.Left on Friday night in both cases and arrived in plenty of time.Well worth it too,with a 1-1 draw at Port Vale and a 3-0 win(Kit Napier got a hat-trick)at Mansfield.
Managed to get a lift back on the Supporters Club coach from Vale,but had to hitch back from Mansfield and didn't arrive back until Sunday Morning

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
...as far as I remember, and it was quite a few years ago, it didn't take much longer than if I had driven there myself, plus I was dropped off near the ground as well, closer than where I used to park the car in any case.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
sams dad said:
Back in 1971 I hitch-hiked to two away games- Port Vale and Mansfield.Left on Friday night in both cases and arrived in plenty of time.Well worth it too,with a 1-1 draw at Port Vale and a 3-0 win(Kit Napier got a hat-trick)at Mansfield.
Managed to get a lift back on the Supporters Club coach from Vale,but had to hitch back from Mansfield and didn't arrive back until Sunday Morning
Sounds like an adventure! Ever a bit worried you might not make kick-off?

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
eastlondonseagull said:
Sounds like an adventure! Ever a bit worried you might not make kick-off?
Was more worried about getting home after the Mansfield game when we(I was with a mate)got a lift down the M1 from a guy whose main topic of conversation was the best way to commit suicide!We bailed out as soon as we could.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
sams dad said:
Was more worried about getting home after the Mansfield game when we(I was with a mate)got a lift down the M1 from a guy whose main topic of conversation was the best way to commit suicide!We bailed out as soon as we could.
:eek: :eek:

:lolol:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Hitched to quite a few games when I was at uni - but I used to hitch down on a Friday and back on the Sunday, so that probably doesn't count.

Only time I hitched to an actual game was when our car broke down on the M1, on our way to the League Cup tie at Nottingham Forest. I got a lift from Jamie Baker, the then Argus writer, and hitched a lift back from the Varndean School coach.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
When at Warwick uni, me and a mate (both albion) hitched from the A45 in Coventry to Highbury corner on the A1 in a lorry. Fortunately the Albion were playing at Arsenal. Score was 0-0 and we ended up catching the train back which cost about 50p less than a return! Good crack though. Probably 1982?

PG

corrallt

Feb 14, 2004
Kent
used to hitch to loads ( well quite a few) in the 70s when we were hippies, man. would leave on a Friday night, sleep in a service station on the M1 and reach the match on time. Getting home was often a pain, especially if we lost.
Once coming home from Villa got a lift from gatwick from a bloke in his pyjamas and barefeet. He also had a very high squeaky voice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here