Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any new book, recommendations

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Hornblower said:
"Cloud Atlas" by David Mitchell. Or his first book, "Ghostwritten", an astonishing book, one of my favourites, which is saying something considering I read at least a book a week and have done for the last 10 years - thanks to the Haywards Heath to Clapham Junction and back again daily run.

David Mitchell is an outstanding writer, but Cloud Atlas is not for those prone to giving up on books – it's complex and demanding. I loved it though.

If you're after non-fiction, try the book mentioned in my signature below. Not only does he slag off Palace fans, he takes his girlfriend to Fans Utd 2 for their first ever date. It's enjoyable in the way that Tony Hawks/Dave Gorman type books are.

Fiction-wise, I'd recommend the new books by Cintra Wilson or Haruki Murakami.

Last edited:

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
Just read Rule of Four - garbage of the highest order (200 page wait for ANYTHING to happen!).

Reading Catch 22 for the 3rd time coz I think its great...

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
My mum got me Freddie Flintoffs autobiography which I have to read

I am currently reading ( in between learning Verdi's Requiem, In Terra Pax - Finzi and fantasia on Christmas Carols - Vaughan Williams) Michael Crighton - State of fear. Its seems pretty good so far

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
BarrelofFun said:
A long way round - Charley Boorman and Ewan McGregor.

Great book

I thought that was awful ...

All Dave Gorman/Danny Wallace books I've read are excellent - haven't seen the above yet though.

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
clapham_gull said:
Also I've just read a book about the Bush Family and their links with Saudi Arabia

.. very good read indeed

I'm with you there.

House of Saud, House of Bush. Be afraid, be very afraid......

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I have to say that having just finished Robbie Williams book 'Feel', I have a much higher opinion of him.

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
may i recommend 'eats, shoots and leaves'. looks like you could do with it.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
Yes Man by Danny Wallace
:clap2: top mention , read it during the summer ,brilliant

:birthday:btw

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Hiney said:
Robbie Fowlers autobiography is a surprisingly good read
:clap2: also a good pick so far, just started reading it

Sonic

Spiky little bugger!
Jul 6, 2003
Patcham
Stig Of The Dump by Clive King.

Oh alright, it's an old book. But a good one.

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
Tom Hark said:
'Planet Simpson - How a Cartoon Masterpiece Documented an Era and Defined a Generation' by Chris Turner :thumbsup:

Yep, read that recently - thought he over-egged his pudding a little too much, too often, and it was a little repetitive - but great to be reminded of so many wondrous moments.
Even if I did get a few funny looks on the commute into work, as I instinctively smiled, even laughed, at the mentions of choice lines from Homer/Mr Burns/oh, the whole lot, really...

Also recently read 'Little Children' by Tom Perrotta, who wrote the film Election - very easy to read, witty but also sly and sour - a sort of Desperate Housewives in novel form, but better...

Finally picked up and opened up Jung Chang's Mao biography, having asked for it as a birthday present. Fascinating so far, if a little heavy-going (and hefty) for the train...

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
"The Insider" by the rather loathsome Piers Morgan is entertaining stuff if you like current affairs.

Anything so far by PJ Tracy or Mark Billingham if you like the 'serial killer thriller' genre.

Faldo said:

Reading Catch 22 for the 3rd time coz I think its great...

Read it for the first time a few weeks back. Fantastic stuff. Good on so many different levels.
If you haven't read this book yet, DO IT!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here