Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any DJs out there?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Punters do want to see the traditional set up though. They see a bloke with a computer and they just think he's cheating. He may be a producer remixing his own work on the fly but give em a DJ beat matching with some 1210s and they'll be happier.

I don't "do" techno/electro/house, but the last time I saw someone using vinyl was Scot Project last year (unlistenable noise that he plays anyway). CDJ's have taken complete control in trance. My 1210s are utterly unloved recently also...

People using PC setups is also very rare on the scene here, only actual producers do - Paul van Dyk is usually Ableton + MIDI controllers + CDJs

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
No it doesn't, it's very much a computer solution. If you play out with Ableton you look like you're checking your email.

Having said that I think there might be some options like that coming but not sure.

It is a complete music making package now, not just a DJ tool. Great for getting ideas together.

Have you got it?

Maybe we could hook up, mix on Ableton, pop to the BP garage for a mushroom slice, have a cup of beans and wash it all down with a Ladyboy or two?

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
Have you got it?

Maybe we could hook up, mix on Ableton, pop to the BP garage for a mushroom slice, have a cup of beans and wash it all down with a Ladyboy or two?

:lolol:

what time do you knock off?......fancy a pint? no? no, me neither, bye.

Yes I have

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
I would love to get Serato, spot on accuracy... scratch and what not quite a bit so it would be idle for having a play about with, and there's a ton of beats you could download which will never be available on vinyl.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Abelton is cheating unless you produce your own music, the only time I've seen anyone use it really well was when they had a couple of MIDI keyboards and were adding drum loops and other samples

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
I have always been too skint to upgrade my beloved 1210s and budget Behringer mixer (which started bleeding and losing power about two minutes after I opened the box.)

My housemate met a bloke in the pub who had a Serato Scratch and let him have a go t'other week, said it were ace. I've seen Maseo from De La and various other heroes of mine use 'em, look good to me.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Wilko and Mr Banana...I'm furious.

All last season you made me listen to Talksport on our ventures when I had not ONE but TWO DJ's in my vehicle, when I could have been listening to the latest beats :rant:

Next season, it WILL be different. I will be ROCKING to Crewe and back! :ascarf:

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Wilko and Mr Banana...I'm furious.

All last season you made me listen to Talksport on our ventures when I had not ONE but TWO DJ's in my vehicle, when I could have been listening to the latest beats :rant:

Next season, it WILL be different. I will be ROCKING to Crewe and back! :ascarf:

Ah if only...I love making mix CDs, give me an idea of what you like and I'll make a couple for the Clippedmobile :)

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Ah if only...I love making mix CDs, give me an idea of what you like and I'll make a couple for the Clippedmobile :)

House, Techno, Chilled (although that might NOT be a good genre for me to drive to, as I might fall asleep!)

Get mixing MR DJ! :)

1.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Over in Berlin loads of DJs famous and not famous use laptops these days. I have seen Hawtin purely on his laptop, seen Dave Clarke do a trouser shaking set on his mac as well. As for punters wanting to see decks etc I went to a very small electro club night in a ramshackle club called West Germany and the guy Djing totally rocked the place with his laptop. I have never seen someone so animated and so into his music. I never did learn to mix...but I am considering purchasing Ableton to play around with.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Over in Berlin loads of DJs famous and not famous use laptops these days. I have seen Hawtin purely on his laptop, seen Dave Clarke do a trouser shaking set on his mac as well. As for punters wanting to see decks etc I went to a very small electro club night in a ramshackle club called West Germany and the guy Djing totally rocked the place with his laptop. I have never seen someone so animated and so into his music. I never did learn to mix...but I am considering purchasing Ableton to play around with.

That reminds me, did you go to see van Dyk that time?

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
As for punters wanting to see decks etc I went to a very small electro club night in a ramshackle club called West Germany and the guy Djing totally rocked the place with his laptop. I have never seen someone so animated and so into his music. I never did learn to mix...but I am considering purchasing Ableton to play around with.

Yeah, I have to say Serato looks well impressive. I never learnt to mix either, which I blame on my shit mixer but in truth must accept is because I am a wishy-washily hopeless human being who can't commit to anything beyond my five minute attention span. But I do love f***ing about with all forms of electronic music.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That reminds me, did you go to see van Dyk that time?

yes I/we did. He was great. Great atmosphere as well. I loved it for about an hour but then grew a bit restless and went to see Luke Slater in Berghain. I think me getting restless was more down to me having grown a bit tired of trance and its spin-offs and also wanting to entertain some friend with different venues. I will come back to it one day I'm sure.

I remember there was a debate about someone saying he was rubbish when he played The Honeyclub....he played For an Angel 3 times or something. He certainly wasnt rubbish in Berlin, I think it might have been the crowd at The HC.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
yes I/we did. He was great. Great atmosphere as well. I loved it for about an hour but then grew a bit restless and went to see Luke Slater in Berghain. I think me getting restless was more down to me having grown a bit tired of trance and its spin-offs and also wanting to entertain some friend with different venues. I will come back to it one day I'm sure.

I remember there was a debate about someone saying he was rubbish when he played The Honeyclub....he played For an Angel 3 times or something. He certainly wasnt rubbish in Berlin, I think it might have been the crowd at The HC.

I remembered this when he 'played' For An Angel twice in Dublin. In that he played one of the hooks of it live on synth before playing Crush, and then (two and a half hours later) played it in his encore, in completion. Only those who knew the track very very well would have noticed the first play... so it didn't really count.

Fifth time I'd seen him in 14 months, I suspect he may want to get a restraining order soon!

But he very much plays to the crowd - which is exactly what a proper DJ (rather than a stuck up knob who plays what they want, the way they want it, and nothing else) does!

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
House, Techno, Chilled (although that might NOT be a good genre for me to drive to, as I might fall asleep!)

Get mixing MR DJ! :)

1.jpg

I will knock you up a few mix CDs Alan, bit of deep house and techno or electro will go down well on the old away trips. I will be away on hols for Crewe but deffo up for some away trip action this year.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I remembered this when he 'played' For An Angel twice in Dublin. In that he played one of the hooks of it live on synth before playing Crush, and then (two and a half hours later) played it in his encore, in completion. Only those who knew the track very very well would have noticed the first play... so it didn't really count.

Fifth time I'd seen him in 14 months, I suspect he may want to get a restraining order soon!

But he very much plays to the crowd - which is exactly what a proper DJ (rather than a stuck up knob who plays what they want, the way they want it, and nothing else) does!

I used to be a bit snobby about PVD thinking his sound was too commercial but having seeing him live a few times I have to agree that he knows how to work a crowd really well.

ANother DJ I really rate at the mo for crowd pleasing is Kissy Sellout - plays some cheese but rocks the crowd and loves his airhorns ! :bowdown:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here