Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any decent pubs around Victoria Station?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Herr Tubthumper is right. The Cask Pub & Kitchen is probably the best pub in central London, although it may not look like much from outside, and is certainly in the top two for craft beers. Can be found on the corner of Charlwood Street and Tachbrook Street about ten mins walk from Victoria in the general direction of Pimlico tube and Vauxhall Bridge and is well worth the stroll.

It's great isn't it. I really like it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I will be surprised if this about the pub I have posted. They have won numerous awards from various respected groups and organisations so there really is no need for them to cheat.

i dont doubt it got/gets geniune awards too. i think there was a rivalry with another couple of top ale pubs in London and Cask fans were 9/10 staring the cask while down marking others pubs, leading to a retaliation from their fans. real ale fanbois, when camra meets the internet :lolol: few years ago though.

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
i dont doubt it got/gets geniune awards too. i think there was a rivalry with another couple of top ale pubs in London and Cask fans were 9/10 staring the cask while down marking others pubs, leading to a retaliation from their fans. real ale fanbois, when camra meets the internet :lolol: few years ago though.

These people are hardcore evil. A few years ago I made the terrible mistake of drinking lager in the Lewes Arms during a local CAMRA meeting. The wierdy beardy's were staring at me and imagining I was laid out on a rack, with a red hot poker being shoved right oop me chutney.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
My favourite is The Cardinal, 5 mins from the station, behind the Catholic Cathedral. Surprised no one has mentioned it.
Unfortunately its no good for Monday as I believe its currently closed for refurb.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
My favourite is The Cardinal, 5 mins from the station, behind the Catholic Cathedral. Surprised no one has mentioned it.
Unfortunately its no good for Monday as I believe its currently closed for refurb.

Is that the one where beer is dirt cheap but is remiscent of special brew, there are 5 old blokes sat in there (all on different tables) and there is a fruit machine that was nicked from Ashes to Ashes? If so, one of mates loves that pub - I, as you can tell, can't stand it.

Anyway as a lager drinker I'd recommend.

I'd 2nd the sports bar and grill. Excellent if sport is on. Beer is good and the owner bossing the staff around is always a good watch. For a station pub if you are meeting blokes, you can't go wrong.

The Phoenix, down the end of Cardinal place by zizzis., the Tapas place and Ha Ha's is normally full of totty to ogle at. Food is good too. Ha Ha's is OK too.

Also, Rileys 5 minutes walk out the back door of Victoria is ace. Pool. Beer. Sky sports. not members only. What more do you want? Only downside is no skirt to look at.

I hate the stage door. (full of Thespian wankers), The shakespeare (full of thieveing pikeys, I know 2 people who have had wallets nicked) and any of the other pubs in the station.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Cask - London Pub and Kitchen

Yes. In fact I'd go as far to say this is one of my favourite pubs full stop.

But, there a lot of horrible pubs in Vic. The one opposite the entrance is particulary awful.

I was just looking on that website and spotted this under 'bottled beers':

"Germany: We are committed to having at least fifty different German bottled beers available at all times. This is a fluid collection..."

That's a relief. I thought they might have dried out.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Herr Tubthumper is right. The Cask Pub & Kitchen is probably the best pub in central London, although it may not look like much from outside, and is certainly in the top two for craft beers.

Along with The Rake in Borough Market.

Last edited:

Mather

Nov 10, 2010
Ottershaw
You could try The Speakers pub in Great Peter Street, 10-15 mins walk from Victoria. Good beer / food and not full of tourists.

Otherwise the Albert in Victoria Street is a good shout.

Albion Rob

Agree about the Cardinal - I thought it had gone for good so the news it's just a refurb has brightened my day.

Phoenix does nice food but is a little bit pricey.

Ha Ha in Cardinal Place has gone now, replaced by a Brown's restaurant.

My vote would be either the Cask and Glass (indeed it's the home of my regular Friday lunchtime 'meetings') or the Albert. I think the Cask is a Shepherd Neame pub and the Albert is Youngs.

It's funny, I always think of where I work (opp the Phoenix) as a bit of a pub desert but when you factor in the Bag o' Nails as well, it's not actually too bad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here