Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any decent pubs around Victoria Station?

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
Ok, here's the deal.

I arrive at Gatwick on Monday morning and will be meeting up with an Aussie friend from Sydney who will be flying out from Heathrow later that evening.

We're going to meet for lunch and a beer or three at a hostelry around Victoria station, so I would like to tap into the vast knowledge of NSC and ask for recommendations of said establishments.

Fill yer boots, people.

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
Ha Ha Bar in the new shopping mall just across from the station is not too bad. A couple of more traditional ones behind the theatre thats showing Billy Elliott or walk a bit further down Victoria St, 'The Albert' on your left hand side.

thisistips

Oct 17, 2010
Away away away
i work at Victoria. Its a bit of a good pub desert. Best close one in my opinion is The Clarendon about 5 mins walk 'out the back entrance'. If you can handle a 10 minute walk there's loads of great pubs in Belgravia which has loads of pubs in mews behind the big houses. My favourite is The Grenadier which does old fashioned gammon, egg and chips. But also Horse and Groom, Antelope and Star Tavern. I've eaten good food in the Star Tavern and Antelope before.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Ha Ha Bar in the new shopping mall just across from the station is not too bad. A couple of more traditional ones behind the theatre thats showing Billy Elliott or walk a bit further down Victoria St, 'The Albert' on your left hand side.

Or "The Litten Tree" which is on the right hand side of the street .
I always meet friends at "The Bag o'nails" just down from Buckingham Palace and about opposite the Rubens Hotel - pretty decent boozer but can get crowded as it's on the tourist trail on the way to Buckingham Palace.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
The short answer is no there isn't but it depends what you want out of a pub really.

Duke of York as previous suggested is probably the best of a bad bunch pub wise. However if you are happy drinking generic found in every pub type drinks (lager, cider, guinness and maybe a couple on a hand pump) then I really can't fault the Sports Bar And Grill upstairs in the station (don't get it confused with the Trevorspoons though! Go out the front of the station and you'll see the entrance (which is just a staircase) opposite the tube entrance). Not really your typical station pub and the grub is very good. Plus if you are waiting for someone then you've got Sky Sports News and random other sports to keep you amused whilst you are waiting. Avoid the other pubs in the station at all costs though!

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
If you can handle a 10 minute walk there's loads of great pubs in Belgravia which has loads of pubs in mews behind the big houses. My favourite is The Grenadier which does old fashioned gammon, egg and chips. But also Horse and Groom, Antelope and Star Tavern.

I used to love the Star Tavern. Worth the walk from Victoria for sure.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
The short answer is no there isn't but it depends what you want out of a pub really.

Duke of York as previous suggested is probably the best of a bad bunch pub wise. However if you are happy drinking generic found in every pub type drinks (lager, cider, guinness and maybe a couple on a hand pump) then I really can't fault the Sports Bar And Grill upstairs in the station (don't get it confused with the Trevorspoons though! Go out the front of the station and you'll see the entrance (which is just a staircase) opposite the tube entrance). Not really your typical station pub and the grub is very good. Plus if you are waiting for someone then you've got Sky Sports News and random other sports to keep you amused whilst you are waiting. Avoid the other pubs in the station at all costs though!

Agree about the sports bar, I've had breakfast in there and it was pretty nice. I rekon thisistips has the best idea though, I've worked round there a few times and always thought the little traditional pubs looked nice, never went in one though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Cask - London Pub and Kitchen

Yes. In fact I'd go as far to say this is one of my favourite pubs full stop.

But, there a lot of horrible pubs in Vic. The one opposite the entrance is particulary awful.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The short answer is no

This is not true. There is one which stands out a mile. I'm really surprised no on has mentioned The Cask Pub and Kitchen.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
whats wrong with the Wetherspoons? much maligned pub chain. good prices, reasonable, cheap grub.

i have a Sports Bar And Grill near my work, the food is good but the prices... and the beer is usually very poor, flat lager on a regular basis. how do they even do that?

the Duke of York is the main pub i've stopped of round there though, decent ales looks like good food (never eaten) but can be very busy.

Last edited:

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
Herr Tubthumper is right. The Cask Pub & Kitchen is probably the best pub in central London, although it may not look like much from outside, and is certainly in the top two for craft beers. Can be found on the corner of Charlwood Street and Tachbrook Street about ten mins walk from Victoria in the general direction of Pimlico tube and Vauxhall Bridge and is well worth the stroll.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
isnt the Cask the one that got rumbled for having shill reviews put on online and cheat their way to best pub nomination? if you go to the beerintheevening webiste entry you'll find no reviews at all now, there used to be loads. (or theres a duplicate entry)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
isnt the Cask the one that got rumbled for having shill reviews put on online and cheat their way to best pub nomination? if you go to the beerintheevening webiste entry you'll find no reviews at all now, there used to be loads. (or theres a duplicate entry)

I will be surprised if this about the pub I have posted. They have won numerous awards from various respected groups and organisations so there really is no need for them to cheat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here