Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any Car Insurance Experts out there?

Chester Drawers

Apr 15, 2004
Belair
Im due to renew my car insurance in the next day or so but Im pondering wether to delare a medical condition (no sniggering at the back). Ive got nerve damage in both legs which makes walking difficult but not impossible ... my upper leg strength is fairly good (good muscular thighs Ive been told). Should I declare this as a medical condition if I do will it a) bump up my premium considerably or b) would they question my driving ability?

any advice gratefully recieved

CD

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
you need to speak to the quack mate. No point lying to the insurance co for the sake of a few quid, fine you could blag it and get insured. If you have an accident (if it hurts someone else ) and you blagged it then bad news

Chester Drawers

Apr 15, 2004
Belair
Ive never been asked by any Doctor if I drive ... and Ive seen a few ... surely they'd have a duty of care if they thought it was a problem ...?

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
I was asked about criminal convictions.........so I reeled them off and premium was v.high....NO driving offences. Got second quote & kept quiet about my 'naughty behaviour' and took it there and then as very happy with price.

Insurance is a f***ing minefield with opt outs all the way for the company but never for the customer.

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
this is true hence why to cover yourself as best you can by declaring stuff

So a charge for affray and one or two other non driving related charges make me a worse driver, that is what fucks me off :angry:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
So a charge for affray and one or two other non driving related charges make me a worse driver

Yes because while I'm driving I'm concentrating on the road, not looking for people to punch :jester:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
As already said, if you give them ANY reason not to pay out they'll laugh you out of court and into bankruptcy - and if you've had an accident where someone else was hurt you are royally screwed. It's a false economy- at least check with a doc and if poss get it in writing if he says you don't need to declare.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Stop hijacking my thread :angry::angry:

Ive had one for and one against so far ...any more advice gratefully appreciated

If theres any possibility that not declaring it could affect your ability to make a claim then of course you should declare it :rolleyes:. Bit of a no-brainer really isn't it?

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
Stop hijacking my thread :angry::angry:

Ive had one for and one against so far ...any more advice gratefully appreciated

Chill Winston............get 2 quotes like I did, but DO NOT gice real name or too much info away or they may log it......(the company you are not insured with)

:thumbsup:

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
Yes because while I'm driving I'm concentrating on the road, not looking for people to punch :jester:

you looking for a fight my friend??? Im driving, speeding, drinking and on my lap top.........but my mobile is now ringing:shootself

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
Its always wise to advise of any medical condition. It wont affect your premium so its a no brainer.

If you dont and you had an accident due to your condition, the insurance company can claim non disclosure and not pay the claim

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
So a charge for affray and one or two other non driving related charges make me a worse driver, that is what fucks me off :angry:

I wouldn't claim to know the specifics of how insurance companies work, but seeing as they're usually looking for any and every way to minimise their risk of paying out, I'm guessing that they've looked at your record and decided that it indicates a certain tendency towards aggression or other behaviour pattern on your part, which they've decreed could be reflected in the way you drive.

Just guessing, like.

Sorry if a bit late but you may also need to notify the DVLA of your condition.

At a glance guide to the current medical standards of fitness to drive

I have a disability/injury that required me to do this, and to disclose in any motor insurance proposal; I've had it since I was 18 (now 54) and it has never impacted my premium.
Was also involved in an motor accident about 20 years ago where the guilty party's insurers refused to pay because of a false declaration on his insurance proposal. Myself and the other damaged party sued him personally and had he not paid up then we could have placed a charge on his mortgage or had the money deducted from his salary. From memory, I think the police were also going after him for driving whilst uninsured.

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
I wouldn't claim to know the specifics of how insurance companies work, but seeing as they're usually looking for any and every way to minimise their risk of paying out, I'm guessing that they've looked at your record and decided that it indicates a certain tendency towards aggression or other behaviour pattern on your part, which they've decreed could be reflected in the way you drive.

Just guessing, like.

Mmmmmmm, bastards............gonna kill em all !!! :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here