any better?

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
"outside the house mr simpson announced that sally couldn't go to the meeting"

Race said:
bet thats worth a few pennies

Actually, the Naturals one is fairly easy to find (especially since not many people even know about the Who link)
The first pic shows their 1st ever recorded single (almost certainly with session musicians! As was 'I Can't Explain' - guitar courtesy Jimmy Page, as also on 'All Day, And All Of The Night' by The Kinks that Townshend modelled the tune on). That one is a few bob! The 'Explain' and 'Generation' 45s seen are demos, as are the three 'Tommy' singles 'Christmas', '1921' and 'Go To The Mirror', which were not released to the general public.

Yorkie said:
Haven't they got to be in mint condition?

It depends what they are.
A copy of a record that is, say, one of 10,000, has to be in really spanking shape to fetch a couple of shillings, and that's only if the artist still holds any regard with people (throw off your Gary Glitter records Yorkie, and walk).

However, a record that only exists in VERY minor qualtities that you could count on your fingers...... that would be worth dosh even if scraped.
Happily mine are mostly in great shape!

For instance, one small scratch on the flip side of THIS little 1964 gem, did not stop me from giving it pride of place in my Jimi Hendrix collection

Attachments

• dsc00692.jpg
    dsc00692.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 60

....... Rosa signed it for me in 2004, and mentioned that Arthur Lee (Love) had no right getting the credit for writing it. She has lost the plot a bit now though, so it's not 100% - and maybe she has issues that her record from 1964 with Jimi on, is her only real claim to fame.

She still sings with a band occasionally, and used to front a group on an 'open mic night' in a little pub in Santa Monica for a while.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I asked a question because I have Love Me Do by the Beatles 1962 which only got to 17 in the charts. It has the red Parlophone label which is rarer than the black label.
The problem is that I used to take it to the youth club so I wrote my initials on the label to prevent theft. I believe that has knocked any value on it (looking at your first pic you have also got writing on the label)

Was there any need for the snidey Gary Glitter comment in your post? FYI I have never bought a record by him. :rolleyes:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
NMH said:
She still sings with a band occasionally, and used to front a group on an 'open mic night' in a little pub in Santa Monica for a while.

Did you ever go and watch football in the Kings Head there? CRACKING little boozer!

Yorkie said:
I asked a question because I have Love Me Do by the Beatles 1962 which only got to 17 in the charts. It has the red Parlophone label which is rarer than the black label.
The problem is that I used to take it to the youth club so I wrote my initials on the label to prevent theft. I believe that has knocked any value on it (looking at your first pic you have also got writing on the label)

Was there any need for the snidey Gary Glitter comment in your post? FYI I have never bought a record by him. :rolleyes:

Sensitive aren't you luv? I don't think I was being 'snidey', it was tongue in cheek - cast off your bi-foculs if that's how you read it!

Initials on a lable aren't such a disaster if they are small or not too obtrusive.
The 'DEMO' singles are normally stamped with a number, perhaps so they remained trace-able as to where they went and who got them. There were usually less than 350 demo copies of each pressed for Brunswick, I believe.

'Love Me Do' got to, I think, number 14 in the charts, enhanced by the fact that Brian Epstein bought some 2,000 odd for his shop, just to guarantee that it would show! The red lable is nice, can get several quid IF in good condition, and always worth at least a tenner. However - the BLACK lable of that release is actually worth more, as it sold less.... they changed the lable colour just AFTER the issue of 'Please Please Me', so the first couple of days sales of PPM were RED, the rest black.

Hence, the minimal qualtities of that in red, and LMD in black.

Gary Glitter records, incidentally, are worthless - and I wouldn't admit it if I had any either :lolol:

Tom Hark said:
Did you ever go and watch football in the Kings Head there? CRACKING little boozer!

Weeeell, the Kings' Head was okay, the local yanks saw it as the typical English pub, and I never went there to watch football.
The Cock 'N Bull on Lincoln was more of a British 'local', and was always frequented by lads talking about the game - and was great for rivalry every Saturday at 7am when they televised the Prem games.

I remember the Munich Manure game there particularly, as there were about 6 Germans and 300 Brits. An exceedingly boring and stultifying game it was too, until the last 3 minutes when it went absolutely bonkers!

More fun was to be had when Engerland and Scotland played WC games at the same times, televised on several tellies on either side of the boozer. My fave was when they played Belgium and we played Yugoslavia - they jeered us when they were 2 up and we were 1 down - and you can imagine our mirth when ours finished 2-1 and then watched as the Belgians got their equaliser!!

:goal:

:clap2: :clap2: :bounce: :salute: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:eek: :ohmy: :( :shootself :cry: :thud: :rant:

Marvellous scenes :drink: :whisky: :yahoo: :sheep:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
NMH said:
Sensitive aren't you luv? I don't think I was being 'snidey', it was tongue in cheek - cast off your bi-foculs if that's how you read it!

Initials on a lable aren't such a disaster if they are small or not too obtrusive.
The 'DEMO' singles are normally stamped with a number, perhaps so they remained trace-able as to where they went and who got them. There were usually less than 350 demo copies of each pressed for Brunswick, I believe.

'Love Me Do' got to, I think, number 14 in the charts, enhanced by the fact that Brian Epstein bought some 2,000 odd for his shop, just to guarantee that it would show! The red lable is nice, can get several quid IF in good condition, and always worth at least a tenner. However - the BLACK lable of that release is actually worth more, as it sold less.... they changed the lable colour just AFTER the issue of 'Please Please Me', so the first couple of days sales of PPM were RED, the rest black.

Hence, the minimal qualtities of that in red, and LMD in black.

Gary Glitter records, incidentally, are worthless - and I wouldn't admit it if I had any either :lolol:

I wear varifocals. :cool:

It definitely got to 17 (Guinness book of Hit singles)

Yorkie said:
I wear varifocals. :cool:

It definitely got to 17 (Guinness book of Hit singles)

I just picked up a pair of those!
Time to recognize that my sight needs a bit of help - however, I wonder about those varifocals that change vision focus from the top of the lens down - can they make your eyes worse? I only need them for reading, thankfully.
Also, are they expensive? .. because I got mine from a charity shop.

17 is respectable, and because it's the Beatles, everyone wants a copy now, because the original got deleted fairly quickly. Added to that the desire from across the World, to have the original UK issue, plus the fact that some people scratched their copy to bits and slid it across the carpet after playing, let the cat walk on it, threw out the paper cover etc.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here