Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anti - Falmer Twat in the North Stand

The only Brighton and Hove city councillor to vote against the Albion's Planning Application at the Planning Committee meeting on 12 June 2002 is Councillor David Smith (Conservative), now the ward councillor for Rottingdean, but in 2002 the ward councillor for Woodingdean.

I don't know whether he is a season ticket holder. He is, however (according to Adam Trimingham's report in the Argus of 13 June 2002) "a former Albion player" - presumably not a former first team player, since his full name is David John Smith, not David Bowman Smith - who is the "Dave Smith" listed in the "Albion A-Z: A Who's Who of Brighton & Hove Albion FC" by Tim Carder & Roger Harris.

Steve in Oz

Jul 26, 2003
Come on Kids Calm Down lets not argue amonst ourselve,s I Know it,s hot but keep the toy,s in the pram. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Captain Sensible said:
Who was that Councilor? Someone that's up on Falmer info must know who he is. Bet Its him. He came across as an arse. Lord B? Do you know?

The "Judas" in question is, I suspect, the owner/propriertor of a large bakery with many outlets in the Brighton/Worthing area. Himself & wife are prominent members of the Falmer "nimby" brigade. He even gave evidence for the anti's at the public enquiry, whilst at the same time claiming to be a life long Albion fan!

Some years ago at a fans forum, his charming wife was looking to tear my head off because of an article I wrote re Falmer in Scars & stripes....Nice to know THE "nimbys" respect the right of others to have a different opinion??????

I for one will be not be purchasing my corn dollies & fairy cakes at the said bakery! :nono:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Zeitgeist said:

Some years ago at a fans forum, his charming wife was looking to tear my head off because of an article I wrote re Falmer in Scars & stripes....Nice to know THE "nimbys" respect the right of others to have a different opinion??????

Which article was that Zeitgeist ?

Zeitgeist said:
The "Judas" in question is, I suspect, the owner/propriertor of a large bakery with many outlets in the Brighton/Worthing area. Himself & wife are prominent members of the Falmer "nimby" brigade. He even gave evidence for the anti's at the public enquiry, whilst at the same time claiming to be a life long Albion fan!
This individual is NOT the North Stand season ticket holder in question.

Your man is a South Stand season ticket holder. As it happens, I've known him for years and he is genuinely a life long Albion supporter, regularly to be found at away matches as well as at Withdean. And he's not a Tory, either, btw.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
For my tuppenyworth, I am also not in the 100% pro camp. Dont get me wrong I would love to see the Albion at Falmer and would rejoice in the new stadium as wouyld ewvery one else, I just don't think it will happen.

Football is going through a huge change at the moment which is mirroring the way American Football went and I firmly believe that franchising will be the next step. The lower divisions are just not viable any more and I think Albion will struggle to obtain the financing once the building is put out to tender. The Inland Revenue, Customs and Excise and the Banks are not willing to finance clubs any more ( as we have seen today with Oldham) and unless you have a very rich suggar daddy to help, ie the Russian Guy, Jack Walker etc etc, I think most clubs outside the premiership are stuffed.

In the cold light of day, and being honest with yourself, would you as an investor put millions into a football club that due to finances are light years away from the top flight? Speculate to accumulate??? maybe, maybe not. Portsmouth have done just so on the Serbian's money, but they are favourites to go down......where is the sense in that.

I just think we have been and are continuing to be stuffed by the mismanagement of the club in the last years at the Goldstone, even before the Archer era( remember we were 7million in debt and had to sell Beeney or we were gone) and now we have our whole future dependant on a public enquiry that can go one way or the other on a ground that was fiorst thought about 3 years ago and if passed will take at least 4 years before we are installed there. You can see why some people are anti!

dave the gaffer said:
In the cold light of day, and being honest with yourself, would you as an investor put millions into a football club that due to finances are light years away from the top flight?
That's not the question to ask, dave.

The questions are:-

As a major finance house, would you stump up the money to fund a property deal on behalf of a football club that will have a secure home for the next 125 years and a potential annual income of up to £15 million a year, when all they're asking for is a loan that can be repaid at the rate of £3.6 million a year?

As a government agency with funds to commit to social regeneration, would you give a grant to a community based initiative that will bring hundreds of jobs to one of the priority action areas already identified by the government?

Would it help your decision if the football club in question was prudently managed by a board of directors determined to ensure that it could never be taken over by a maverick business man who was only interested in asset stripping?

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
You really must excuse Dave, he's one of the most cynical people I know... or simply a very skilled wind up merchant :clap:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
we are all entitled to our opinion Papa!

Dave the Cynic

I think if I were an investor looking to put money somewhere, football would not be high on my list of priorities

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
brightonwillwinpremiership said:
The argus (ian Harts column) seem to think we are going to buy the lease to the withdean, rip up the track and turn it into a proper football stadium, falmer is just a "smoke screen"

I think you might have mis-read Harty's article. He actually said that a well-known businessman from Falmer told him this, and pointed out that it would be a very expensive smoke-screen.

It is a potential way-out if Falmer isn't approved. But that isn't going to happen because we have a democratic mandate for the project which Mr Prescott cannot ignore, as was well advertised at Withdean on Monday night.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Curious Orange said:
I think you might have mis-read Harty's article. He actually said that a well-known businessman from Falmer told him this, and pointed out that it would be a very expensive smoke-screen.

It is a potential way-out if Falmer isn't approved. But that isn't going to happen because with have a democratic mandate for the project which Mr Prescott cannot ignore.

What complete tosh (what Harty was told). Does anyone think the club would waste millions on a project that they knew to be either doomed or simply a decoy for something else???

Papa

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
When we finally get to Falmer, I suggest we get hold of the petition signed by all the Anti Falmer NIMBYs and make sure nobody on that list ever gets a ticket for a game, no matter how big.

And obviously, we'll never, ever drink in the Swan pub. Even better, open up a pub next door which all Albion fans could use, thereby taking away his custom, both local and passing trade. Only use his pub if you need the toilet (after drinking in the Stadium Tavern next door).

Who needs the Albion now, Swan man????

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I think there are going to be bars in the ground. So we don't need to go anywhere near the pretty little village with the dual-cariageway through the middle and the rat infested pond!!

:lolol:

Curious Orange said:
I think you might have mis-read Harty's article. He actually said that a well-known businessman from Falmer told him this
Now we are talking about the South Stand season ticket holder - who seems to think that a permanent stadium at Withdean is feasible.

The Public Inquiry looked at this idea in some detail. What would be needed is a complete rebuild at Withdean, including the demolition of the Sportsman and the whole of the Leisure Centre. The pitch would need to run north-south (not east-west, as at present). Safe access would have to be achieved for pedestrians (which would involve rebuilding the railway arch to make it much wider). Better park and ride facilities would be needed for crowds of 22,000. There would be no parking at all in the locality.

Costs:- horrendous! A three year construction period, while we groundshare somewhere miles away. No regeneration grants from government agencies. Opposition from thousands of local residents and the City Council. A new planning application. Contrary to the Local Plan - so a long Public Inquiry would need to be held and it would all hang on the decision of John Prescott.

A new athletics stadium and a replacement Leisure Centre would need to be built somewhere else. Falmer?

And a new Shoppers' Park and Ride facility for the city council.

And another £3 million planning costs to be met by the Football Club.

It's bollox.

marvin

Jul 5, 2003
The corner quietly rusting
Lord Bracknell said:
Now we are talking about the South Stand season ticket holder - who seems to think that a permanent stadium at Withdean is feasible.

The Public Inquiry looked at this idea in some detail. What would be needed is a complete rebuild at Withdean, including the demolition of the Sportsman and the whole of the Leisure Centre. The pitch would need to run north-south (not east-west, as at present). Safe access would have to be achieved for pedestrians (which would involve rebuilding the railway arch to make it much wider). Better park and ride facilities would be needed for crowds of 22,000. There would be no parking at all in the locality.

Costs:- horrendous! A three year construction period, while we groundshare somewhere miles away. No regeneration grants from government agencies. Opposition from thousands of local residents and the City Council. A new planning application. Contrary to the Local Plan - so a long Public Inquiry would need to be held and it would all hang on the decision of John Prescott.

A new athletics stadium and a replacement Leisure Centre would need to be built somewhere else. Falmer?

And a new Shoppers' Park and Ride facility for the city council.

And another £3 million planning costs to be met by the Football Club.

It's bollox.

I've often sat in the CP at withdean and thought this place is just big enough to house a proper foottie stadium if totally flattened and re built. Including all the things above in my thoughts (except the railway arch and parking). But on the parking would it not be possible to build a multi-storey CP somewhere on the site or as they have done in Birmingham City Centre for the council officials build one underground?

But as LB says a ground at withdean is technically feasible, financially and all other reasons totally impractical.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here