Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ansu Fati **Signed On Loan 01/09**

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I saw loads of positives tonight. It was just obvious to me that he is 'match sharpness' away from being quality.

2 or 3 times, when instinct was needed, he would do lovely little body swerves or touches to make space for a shot, you could then see the rational brain kicked in and he'd not shoot where you'd maybe expect a player fully up to speed to have a go, or play the final pass.

He kept going, kept coming deeper to pick up the ball and didn't shy away. I was really pleased.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I saw loads of positives tonight. It was just obvious to me that he is 'match sharpness' away from being quality.

2 or 3 times, when instinct was needed, he would do lovely little body swerves or touches to make space for a shot, you could then see the rational brain kicked in and he'd not shoot where you'd maybe expect a player fully up to speed to have a go, or play the final pass.

He kept going, kept coming deeper to pick up the ball and didn't shy away. I was really pleased.
People seem to be very quick to criticise Fati but Mitoma, who truly had a stinker gets a pass, seemingly.

worthingseagull

Sep 28, 2011
He was better than Pedro, who's positioning was awful and tried too much
don't agree, whilst I'm not saying Pedro had a great game, he was always lively and making himself available and looked our biggest threat all game long. Plus he held his nerve under pressure to bury both pens - gets a solid 7/10 from me and was beaten only by Gilmour at 7.5/10 imo

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Fati wasn't great, but he was nowhere near as bad as some are making out. He wasn't an immediate star player, which many were evidently expecting, but it'll come. You could tell he is a quality player who just isn't up to speed with the team, there were glimpses of what he will offer us.

I'd also say that both Fati and JP were looking to make runs that the rest of the team weren't reading.

It'll come.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Fati wasn't great, but he was nowhere near as bad as some are making out. He wasn't an immediate star player, which many were evidently expecting, but it'll come. You could tell he is a quality player who just isn't up to speed with the team, there were glimpses of what he will offer us.

I'd also say that both Fati and JP were looking to make runs that the rest of the team weren't reading.

It'll come.
That's how I read it. Fati was trying hard to link the defence and attack. Our midfield let us down last night by vanishing at times, plus of course some slack passing across the team and conceding 2 lucky goals.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
don't agree, whilst I'm not saying Pedro had a great game, he was always lively and making himself available and looked our biggest threat all game long. Plus he held his nerve under pressure to bury both pens - gets a solid 7/10 from me and was beaten only by Gilmour at 7.5/10 imo
Pedro seems to becoming one of those players that divides opinion. At least we can agree that he stepped up brilliantly for the two penalties.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Yep, you could see the quality at times, first touch was a bit shit sometimes but I have no doubt he’ll come good if he stays injury free. Given the thuggishness of the opposition I totally got why he was a little tentative. PL refs would not let a team get away with quite a lot of what AEK got away with last night. They would not have finished with 11 on the pitch.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
The problem Fati has got is that he has been hyped to high heaven by fans and rather unhelpfully, by the club's social media output.

As others have said, there is a reason Barcelona have loaned him to Brighton & Hove Albion. If you have sky high expectations of him in spite of that fact, then you are probably going to be disappointed.

He wasn't great last night, but he was by no means terrible either

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Pedro was lively, still looks raw, he did though try that backheel flick so many times and more often gave ball away in doing so.
Yeah that was a bit irritating, particularly one time on the left when he was in tons of space and just didn't need to do it.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
God knows what people expect from Fati. He showed at Old Trafford that he’s got a great touch, cracking pass and a turn of speed. Last night glimpses of that again but it was a tough time in a below par team performance playing through the middle - by common consent not his best position. He’s going to be great for us with a bit of patience - like most of our players. Sometimes fans seem to forget how young they are.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
I think there’s a bit in between thinking he’s rubbish and should be sent back to Barcelona and thinking that there no critique allowed of his game.

He’s young, has little knowledge yet of the team and our style, is obviously talented so getting on his back already would be incredibly unfair and unwarranted so early on.

That said it would be better for him if he learnt the basics here before trying too much in the way of Brazilian tricks and flair, or at least if the first two or three efforts go wrong then maybe keep it simple after that.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here